Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

987 rims on a 986?

There is a dealer that is saying the wheels from an 07 Boxster S will not fit on an 03 Boxster. The wheels that are on the 07 came from a Cayman S originally. Everything I'm seeing on the wheel sizes shows all three Offset: 50mm and a Bolt Pattern: 5-130.

I'm not saying the Dealership is lying, but I can't find any information that shows the dealership is right.

These are the cars in question.

http://ken-garff.porschedealer.com/2003/Porsche/+Boxster/Orem/UT/Arctic+Silver+Metallic/silver/136645/info.php

http://ken-garff.porschedealer.com/2007/Porsche/Boxster+S/Orem/UT/Arctic+Silver+Metallic/silver/532628/info.php

Elvis T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 AM   #2

IIRC you'll need a 7mm spacer on the fronts.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:03 AM   #3

Garage
There are more threads on this forum regarding wheel "fitment" than my grandmother had dimples on her a**. A quick answer to your question is yes, the wheels will fit the either a 987 or 986 provided they are Porsche specific (hubcentric) . Whether or not they are an ideal fit is based on size and offset. In order to determine this, one has to calculate the difference between the two wheelsets. I highly recommend that you take advantage of the site's search feature. There you will find endless threads that specifically address this topic.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 03-08-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis T
There is a dealer that is saying the wheels from an 07 Boxster S will not fit on an 03 Boxster. The wheels that are on the 07 came from a Cayman S originally. Everything I'm seeing on the wheel sizes shows all three Offset: 50mm and a Bolt Pattern: 5-130.

I'm not saying the Dealership is lying, but I can't find any information that shows the dealership is right.

These are the cars in question.

http://ken-garff.porschedealer.com/2003/Porsche/+Boxster/Orem/UT/Arctic+Silver+Metallic/silver/136645/info.php

http://ken-garff.porschedealer.com/2007/Porsche/Boxster+S/Orem/UT/Arctic+Silver+Metallic/silver/532628/info.php
I sent you a PM. Let me know if I can help you out with specifics.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

sorry unrelated, but I'm really fascinated by the genesis of the term "rim".
I don't think I've ever in all my years of watching auto races heard someone refer to wheels as rims, never hear car dealers discuss "sport rims" and car magazines have never referred to the "new Corvette rims".
This has always baffled me...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I don't think I've ever in all my years of watching auto races heard someone refer to wheels as rims, never hear car dealers discuss "sport rims" and car magazines have never referred to the "new Corvette rims".
That's right, I'm always looking for Wide 5 style wheels when someone says they're changing rims. They have removable rim sections with the 5 spoke hub remaining in place, but, I'm sorry "Bro," they are wheels.
I guess with two piece or three piece bolt together wheels, you could technically just change your rims.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #7

The OP is from Utah which really made me take notice. If he were from NY, CA, Miami or something I wouldn't be so surprised because "rim" seems to be the norm there and not the exception. This use of the word rim is not generational either because I've heard many guys well into their 30's use the term as well as high school teenagers at my local Pep boys. The only explanation I can come up with is that at some point as rap music was growing in the late 80's and the rim became permanent. I'm just fascinated that the term hasn't gone away since you never hear sports car or racing experts, which presumably is how an auto enthusiast most often hears about the topic, on TV or print ever use anything other than the word wheel.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I have a suspicion this is a UK term. Although you should never refer to the action of putting wheels on the car as 'rimming'.......
willd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #9

That's cheeky..no pun intended
Old 03-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #10

Rims - as in the rim or edge? Not specifically a UK term: 'Alloys', 'wheels', 'rims'...in that order of popularity.
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #11

In Quebec, well, around Gatineau..

'wheel' is used to talk about a full center wheel, those you put a cap on because they are ugly..

'rim' is used to talk about wheel that you can see trough
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
There are more threads on this forum regarding wheel "fitment" than my grandmother had dimples on her a**.
The mere fact that you know how many dimples your grandmother has on her hindquarters is frightening.

And to get back on topic, "I gotz me sum 18 inch Carrera bling rims on my Poshe!"
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The mere fact that you know how many dimples your grandmother has on her hindquarters is frightening.

And to get back on topic, "I gotz me sum 18 inch Carrera bling rims on my Poshe!"

We're a close family.