Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Are Corvettes Reliable?

OK, I'll admit it...I'm completely ignorant about Corvettes. The world of Top Gear has corrupted my mind and I see them as American plastic.

HOWEVER, I'm willing to let that go and open my mind. I've come around to thinking about what car I want next, my Boxster will stay another couple of years (hopefully ) and then it's time for something new. Two cars I've wanted to really see are the Lotus Elise and the Corvette, say 2000-2005 yearish. Since I've seen amazing handling already, I think it's time for some amazing grunt.

Is anyone here a Corvette owner or has been in the past? How was your experience? Pros/cons? Same goes for Elises.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #2

The C5 version is extemely reliable in my experience. I have owned 4 all told.

Be sure to shop carefully and get the car inspected from the bottom up. Because they are so fast, one can find serious abuse if not careful.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:15 AM   #3
mts

Reliability is relative, but C5 or C6 are reliable cars and pretty cheap to fix when they do break. Before the C5 it's a bit more of a crapshoot. A lot of car for the money though, that's for sure.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
C5+ are very very reliable cars. I've spent a lot of time on Corvette forums.

If you don't mind plastic were there should be leather,then you'd love them!

They are so darn easy to tune-up and upgrade new generation parts onto older models. New C6 Zo6 shocks & springs can be put on a c5 chassis for $1.1k installed....
Old 03-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #5

C5 Z06's are really great cars and affordable. (Cost vs. Power vs. Reliability)

One of the local mechanics is running a C5 Z06 with a stroker kit and the things sounds ferocious!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwOtyJnyVws&feature=related

Personally, I'm still holding out a few more years for a 997 Turbo.
VRsyncro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #6

A good buddy trades in high line used cars. He's brought over several C5's and C6's for me to drive. Compared to the 987, they seem really big and heavy. I'd kill for the grunt in my Boxster, but I can't see myself enjoying the Vette the way I do my Box.
Personal Opinion.
I do know I would sleep waayyyyyy better at night owning a C5 or 6 out of warranty..................
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #7

Garage
Parts from NAPA for your sports car...that is a new concept!

The corvettes have done an amazing job of transforming themselves from an American street car to a real Le Mans competitor. They may be heavy but man they have torque for days and I love the sound of them as they turn laps on a road course.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #8

C5 Z06 is an awesome value and reliable as well. A regular C5 is still very very good. They feel like a much bigger car than the Boxster and the steering doesn't have the best feedback, but ultimately they are quicker everywhere once you get familiar with them. C5's have some minor glitches in the reliability dept, but they are solid on the things that really matter.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #9

Garage
Put it this way, if it was not a Corvette then I would drive one in a heartbeat, oops that was kind of fruedian.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #10

Having owned 3 Vetts, in the last 17 years I can say ,yes thay are very reliable and easy to work on.

Parts are cheep to buy and easy to get.

I bought my 99 box,when i went to go see a 99 convert, vett,the price on the box.was to good to pass up.I got the box, for $9.400.00 out the door,tax,title,and plates. car had only 50k miles on it and had the 60k mlie service done on it.

I have no problems w/my box. having owned it for almost a year now.it will be a year this April.My only fear I have w/the box. is the IMS,I new about this before I got the car and did my homework on it.

As for the Lotus,I just bought one on Copart in Cal.and it should be here today or tuesday this week it is a 2006 yellow Elise w/8,000 miles on it.

All three cars are great,it is a matter of personal tast,I got my box. because i always wanted to own a Porsche and I am happy w/the car now I am going to own My first Lotus.
jbs986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #11

Had a 1963 Stingray Convertible, 300hp, 4speed, rear wheel drive of course. This was the American Boxster until some body decided to turn it into a none sports car. Yep, I also had a 1968. They became 2 seater road cars after 1967. Bye bye American Pie.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #12

I currently have a 2007 Corvette. This is my 10th Vette and so far they have all been pretty reliable. I agree get it checked out 1st since most are driven hard. Vette lots of straight line speed but nothing beats the handling of my Boxster. Two completely different animals in my opinion. I love each for different reasons.
05speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #13

Sure they're reliable...
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #14

Garage
Have owned one, the wife has had 3

the newer cars are much better than the C3 C4 versions. I'd like to get a C5 Z06 for track days. The C5/C6 is dimensionally closer to the 911 platform than the older versions, but they still feel big.

Crate motors--LS6 (C5 Z06), LS3 (C6) and LS7 (C6 Z06) run roughly $6K for the LS6 and LS3, $13K for the LS7. Rotors are $50 from NAPA.

Our 2.5/2.7L crate motors runs -what--$15K?

Massa:
What happened to that Z?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Sure they're reliable...
Guess he had Brakes R Us do his brake job.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
Old 03-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #16

My neighbor ordered a new Grand Sport and I had thought about purchasing his 2005, but after I drove a 2007 at a local dealer, I decided that I would rather buy another Porsche. The 2007 felt like a cheap rental car. Tons of cheap plastic, uncomfortable seats and so-so handling.

I then drove a 2006 Carrera S and it was a beautiful experience. The sun shined, birds sang, and I knew that there was still good in the world. I really like the look of the new Vettes, but that's about as far as I go with it. The interiors are full of cheap plastic and it felt like a rental car. (I know, I already said that) I've owned some 60's and early 70's Vettes and really enjoyed them, but not as much as a Porsche.

Now my opinion may change when my neighbor brings home his new red Grand Sport, but I'm not counting on it. Maybe I need to drive a ZO6 before I completely write Vettes off.....
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #17

I think the original question is are the corvettes reliable?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I think the original question is are the corvettes reliable?

They are...from 1954 to 1967. No electronics or any other modern devices that cost a bundle to repair. A true American sports car then.

Old Hippie Young Heart
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I do know I would sleep waayyyyyy better at night owning a C5 or 6 out of warranty..................
lol =)
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
OK, I'll admit it...I'm completely ignorant about Corvettes. The world of Top Gear has corrupted my mind and I see them as American plastic.

HOWEVER, I'm willing to let that go and open my mind. I've come around to thinking about what car I want next, my Boxster will stay another couple of years (hopefully ) and then it's time for something new. Two cars I've wanted to really see are the Lotus Elise and the Corvette, say 2000-2005 yearish. Since I've seen amazing handling already, I think it's time for some amazing grunt.

Is anyone here a Corvette owner or has been in the past? How was your experience? Pros/cons? Same goes for Elises.

My 02 C5 was perfectly reliable. I owned it for two years and never did anything but oil changes. My first DE event at VIR was in the C5 and it was a blast.

It was much faster than my Boxster S and the low end torque was simply wonderful. I really liked that car, but I love my Boxster S. You get so much more feedback from the Boxster. All and all, the Vette and the Boxster are both wonderful machines; however, they are completely different experiences.

I would not rule out owning another Vette. It was a very positive experience.

greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote