Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 02:56 AM   #1

What was "lost" from the 986?

I'm aware of the various changes (improvements?) made when the 987 model came out.

But for those that moved from 986 to 987, is there anything that you feel was "lost"? Something in the way the car feels or sounds or drives etc... that you feel was actually better in the 986 (besides just visual/cosmetic things).

crcguy

CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #2

The 986 and the 987 are great cars. The 987 is better. Just like the 987.2 is better than the 987.1. Porsche is very good at doing this.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
The 986 and the 987 are great cars. The 987 is better. Just like the 987.2 is better than the 987.1. Porsche is very good at doing this.
That depends on your point of view and definition of "better".

More options, more refinement, more weight, more isolation, all could be considered better or worse depending on what you're looking for.

I personally prefer the 1978-83 911 SC to any 911 that came after, I think it's "better" from a driver's car standpoint, most would probably disagree.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #4

I've owned a base 986 and an S 986

and taken test drives in the 987. I flat out liked the 987 better. Not better enough to spend my money upgrading but then I don't buy new cars and am a relative tightwad.

Money no object, given my choice I'd get the 987 and fit it with a spare tire from a 986 and an LN IMS if it was pre-2009. The 987 not having a spare is the one big complaint I've heard.

For the price, the 986 is the bargain and I still find joy in driving it even after 5 years. It waits in the garage with its top down for tomorrow and its 60 degrees...finally. I can't imagine the 987 would give any more fun ... how could it?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #5

Everyone has their opinion and mine is that the looks really didn't produce an evolution.

The kidney bean headlights were 100% Porsche. They were replaced with something you'd see on many Japanese and Korean cars. That was a big disappointment for me. The 996 Turbo headlights seemed like that evolution and I was hoping to see something like that but with an update tossed in on the 987.

The doorhandle went to a traditional design from the minimalist 986. Didn't like that either.

The air intake....what in the world is that? A very fluid 986 intake form was replaced with something really bizzare.

Wheels. I haven't seen anything on the Boxster in factory form that I feel would get the 'classic Porsche' brand like the 5 spoke Carreras.

Overall, the fender lines seem more a throw back to the 993 than original Boxster concept that seem more LeMans prototype.

Interior. This is where they really lost me. The materials were a huge improvement from the plastic bits that were never updated from 1997-2004.
That was a mistake. Porsche should have upgraded the materials but kep the concept interior design. What we got instead was what I would call frumpy.
The steering wheel on the 987 and 997 in particular seem very boring to me.
The dash seems more like something you would see on VW or Audi. Porsches shouldn't look like those cars, neither the headlights nor the interiors. I know they're cousins but we are the hot cousin.

All that said, the engineering is obviously a big improvement, particularly the 3.4 engine. But as is always the case with Porsche 'over-engineering' results in a car that feels a bit more disconnected and numb.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #6

I drove a 987 and instantly noticed I would miss the mechanical connection between the throttle pedal and the throttle body. So I decided to stay with my pre-00 986.

Plus I have no money.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #7

Talking

I own a mint 2003 986 S and have driven the 987 recently for a few days when my dealer gave me a loaner. They want me to upgrade so bad they found me a loaner in the same color.

I have the same issues with the interior as Perfectlap. I don't like all the straight lines and painted plastic horizontal strips. Personally I think the 986 interior will full leather is a better design. I found the instrument cluster to be more confusing, especially when the radio kept putting song titles up in the middle of the tach?!

I also found the engine note to be less of a growl like a tiger, and more of an electronic note. In general it felt less mechanical and more electronic and complicated. To be fair it did have paddle shifters and I am a fan of simple cars. I also do not like the side vents.

There were things I did like better. I think the swept back changes to the sheet metal are nice. I like the new headlights too. I guess it's faster?.. but it didn't feel faster. It just felt easier. To me the 986 is the design that caused a sensation, and the best iteration is the 03-04 S.

The dealer was salivating when I brought it back... they thought I was crazy not to want the new one.
fusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Two things come to mind immediately.

No dipstick on the newer 986s and 987s.
I don't really like the digital readout, especially when you also need to wait an eternity to get a reading, after the engine's been running.

Moving the digital speedo to the side gauge, rather than under the tach's center gauge.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #9

Different strokes for different folks!

I like the 987 (of course, I bought one), and thought the 986 is starting to look a bit dated, including the side vents and interior. My wife says it looks a BIT less like a Miata! (sorry) I love the clean, uncluttered lines of the interior. You do get used to the scrolling station titles, but I do wish you could display only the station number(freq.). The radio presets also tend to blend together, many small buttons in a row.

Personally, if had had wanted a "raw" feeling car, I would have bought an S2000. I do wish they had kept the weight and size down though. Oddly, I like the brake pedal feel of my '94 Integra better than the 987, whih is too soft, with too much initial travel. I like a rock hard brake pedal. I didn't notice any difference in the gas pedal feel compared to "cable" cars.

Steve

I also would like to have a dipstick! ( and a spare )
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbon
Two things come to mind immediately.

No dipstick on the newer 986s and 987s.
I don't really like the digital readout, especially when you also need to wait an eternity to get a reading, after the engine's been running.

Moving the digital speedo to the side gauge, rather than under the tach's center gauge.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
I think the speed moved over to the speedometer in '01.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #11

I like the 987 look and when Excellence magazine reviewed it, they commented on how much more muscular it was in performance. Still, I like my 986, especially with litronics in it and a GT3 front end and lip. A neighbor has a cherry Miata, side by side the differences are clear. The 2.5 has a very nice engine note, kept at the proper RPM's and tuned out with the enthusiasm we bring to the dance, it can run with many other sports cars in a variety of conditions. (or at least it used to, time will tell whether it becomes the consummate garage queen on stands).
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #12

Quote:

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Sorry for the hijack, but what are those two things in the foam? Boat transom plugs?
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Sorry for the hijack, but what are those two things in the foam? Boat transom plugs?
spare bleed valves

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #14

I'm older so to my experience a Sports Car is a very specific and narrowly defined thing. Thats what Sports Cars were when I became driving age and that's what I always think of when someone says Sports Car.

This usually meant balance, lightness, handling and braking over power. It also usually meant a minimum of creature comforts - the comfort was in the driving, not the cupholders, stereo, traction control and digital doowhackys.

It also meant that it wasn't created for, or marketed to, everybody. It was a daily driver for only the most Hard Core. Taking an Infinity GXX and rebadging it a 350Z 'Sports Car' is exactly the opposite of what a Sports Car used to mean.

In this light, the 986 is much closer to it's original vision than the 987 will ever be.

I could buy any Boxster on the market, but the only ones I'd ever own would be the 1st Gen 986.

Good thing for Porsche that not everyone shares my view.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #15

Good Eye...

... they are boat transom plugs which I use for completely silencing my PSE (Pedro Sport Exhaust) hack by forcing the exhaust through the OEM muffler.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
... they are boat transom plugs which I use for completely silencing my PSE (Pedro Sport Exhaust) hack by forcing the exhaust through the OEM muffler.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
OK... that's a new one on me. It's a good day whenever you learn something new. Today was a good day!

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster

Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm older so to my experience a Sports Car is a very specific and narrowly defined thing. Thats what Sports Cars were when I became driving age and that's what I always think of when someone says Sports Car.

This usually meant balance, lightness, handling and braking over power. It also usually meant a minimum of creature comforts - the comfort was in the driving, not the cupholders, stereo, traction control and digital doowhackys.

It also meant that it wasn't created for, or marketed to, everybody. It was a daily driver for only the most Hard Core. Taking an Infinity GXX and rebadging it a 350Z 'Sports Car' is exactly the opposite of what a Sports Car used to mean.

In this light, the 986 is much closer to it's original vision than the 987 will ever be.

I could buy any Boxster on the market, but the only ones I'd ever own would be the 1st Gen 986.

Good thing for Porsche that not everyone shares my view.

Cheers!
Well people are getting dumber these days, they have to look at the TPMS to check tire pressure as supposed to the original method. They also need a computer to tell them when they need oil change.

I work in IT and even I hate all these computer crap overtaking cars!

Sorry my friend has a Superformance Cobra, no computers, no stability control, no airbags. You can put your arms over the door (you cannot do this anymore on modern cars because of increased safety). You need to learn how to drive it because there's no computer to safe your life.

For the same reason I kind of want a 356 Speedster, but my friends told me I already got a great car and should stop dreaming.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #18

Ekam, You certainly have a nice car, sometimes we lose our perspective and gratitude. After all, many people will only dream their entire life of driving a Porsche at all.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:13 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Well people are getting dumber these days, they have to look at the TPMS to check tire pressure as supposed to the original method. They also need a computer to tell them when they need oil change.

I work in IT and even I hate all these computer crap overtaking cars!

Sorry my friend has a Superformance Cobra, no computers, no stability control, no airbags. You can put your arms over the door (you cannot do this anymore on modern cars because of increased safety). You need to learn how to drive it because there's no computer to safe your life.

For the same reason I kind of want a 356 Speedster, but my friends told me I already got a great car and should stop dreaming.
I've had the pleasure of driving a 356. It's a fantastic car if you're into the unfiltered driving experience. Driving a Boxster is like trying to read braile with gloves on compared to the 356 and the old 911s that I love. I still own the 30 year old Rx-7 that I learned to drive in because I haven't found a car that's more fun to drive.

I'm like lil and you, I have no interest in refinement, options or luxuries in my sports cars.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #20

I have only put 1,000 miles on my 06, and it still freaks me out when the stability control kicks in. When I'm fully comfortable with the car, I expect to take my "sprited" drives with it turned off. I have a '65 Mustang for my back-to-basics driving. If I ever finish it!

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote