Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #1

new clutch, what else can be replaced?

I'm preparing to have my clutch replaced. In addition to the RMS and upgrading the IMS what else can be replaced while all this is being taken apart? I took the Boxster to the dealer for something unrelated and asked them to give me price list for shocks, clutch, brakes etc. The dealer suggested rear axles since they claim there won't be an aditional charge for labor, just parts. I later looked at the printout and noticed the dealer price was about $1K for the parts. What does this really cost?
I came across this which seems to be a mistake.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/porsche/boxster/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/axle_assembly.html

I also came across this, anyone familiar with it?
INTERMEDIATE SHAFT FLANGE\ UPDATED VERSION WITH 4MM THICK SEAL BOXSTER & "S" CARRERA & CARRERA 4 THRU '01'
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1527/

p.s.
anyone buy a clutch kit recently at a steal of a deal?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-01-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I'm preparing to have my clutch replaced. In addition to the RMS and upgrading the IMS what else can be replaced while all this is being taken apart? I took the Boxster to the dealer for something unrelated and asked them to give me price list for shocks, clutch, brakes etc. The dealer suggested rear axles since they claim there won't be an aditional charge for labor, just parts. I later looked at the printout and noticed the dealer price was about $1K for the parts. What does this really cost?
I came across this which seems to be a mistake.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2000/porsche/boxster/driveshaft_-ar-_axle/axle_assembly.html

I also came across this, anyone familiar with it?
INTERMEDIATE SHAFT FLANGE\ UPDATED VERSION WITH 4MM THICK SEAL BOXSTER & "S" CARRERA & CARRERA 4 THRU '01'
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/1527/
The axels in your link are cheap Chinese knock offs; the heavier flange is an OEM update part.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #3

Pelican have their axle assemblys for $750 per side. At $57 Those must some really cheap knock offs alright. I'm guess its just the boots.

Although this site has them similarly cheap...claiming a "$636 savings".

http://www.********************************************************************************************/shop_parts/axle_assembly/porsche/boxster.html

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-01-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #4

unless your car has very high miles, you shouldn't have to replace the axles. The axle boots, on the other hand, I would do.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

how labor intensive is replacing the axle assemblies later?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Pelican have their axle assemblys for $750 per side. At $57 Those must some really cheap knock offs alright. I'm guess its just the boots.

Although this site has them similarly cheap...claiming a "$636 savings".

http://www.********************************************************************************************/shop_parts/axle_assembly/porsche/boxster.html
No, it is the entire axel assembly...................
Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
It is going to cost you to replace them later, parts and a couple hours labor at the prevailing rate. Why not consider having them inspect the axels for wear and just repack and replace the boots while it is apart? Usually, the 6 speed axels fail because the boots blew out and the CV's died from dirt and lack of lubrication; if your existing boots and axels are in good shape, repacking and new boots is much cheaper than new OEM axels..................providing the dealer will do it (many won’t, they just want to swap out parts and bill you)………….
Old 03-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #8

Oh, and I’ll guarantee you that a dealer will not install the LN IMS upgrade, all they will install is a new OEM IMS unit, which will put you right back in the land of not knowing when it is going to fail. The reason a dealer will not do the LN unit is that installing one would be tantamount to and admission that the OEM version has a potential problem; so they won’t do it………………..
Old 03-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
pboxstercar

Any long term results of the LN IMS upgrade?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Perfectlap,

I have replaced complete drive shafts (axles) many times on different cars and IMHO, it is a fairly easy task (as long as one of the allen bolts is not stripped, which will require dremmel surgery), if your bolts look rusty, pre-treat them with PB Blaster before attempting to remove them

Seriously could be a fun Saturday project to remove the axles, clean the bearings, re-lubed them and replace the boot, perhaps the only 'special tool' will be a torque meter.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #11

don't worry the dealer price quotes were for ****************s and giggles. The price of the dealer doing clutch, brakes and suspension will buy you another used Boxster.
I think they wanted $300 for a coolant flush and $400 to replace the 02 sensors (just labor). LOL
I intend to use an indy shop. They did the 02's and a fuel filter for $130. Wish I had a lift... I'm going back to flush the brakes and coolant.
My boots are definitely torn, which explains why the dealer simply added the cost of a whole new unit. The service manager must have spotted the Bentley manual or my OBD II in the trunk because he said goodbye just as quickly as he gave me the prices.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
pboxstercar

"Oh, and I’ll guarantee you that a dealer will not install the LN IMS upgrade, all they will install is a new OEM IMS unit, which will put you right back in the land of not knowing when it is going to fail. The reason a dealer will not do the LN unit is that installing one would be tantamount to and admission that the OEM version has a potential problem; so they won’t do it……………….."

I see you are at it again! Always over the top without facts! I'll call your "guarantee" :

http://lnengineering.com/service.html

Joe Rizza Porsche in Orland Park, IL has partnered with LN Engineering to offer our complete line of products and services for your 1997-2008 Porsche Boxster, Cayman, and 911. Call Jerry at (708) 364-2259 to make an appointment today. Tell him Charles sent you!

Last edited by pboxstercar; 03-01-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #13

I'm in the middle of doing what you are talking about. JFP is right on the axle issue, deal with boots and repacking if needed. I've read where the AOS is an easy R&R if it is becoming an issue or you are concerned, the tranny will be out of the way. Best price I've found on Sachs OEM Clutch Kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-BOXSTER-S-3-2L-3-2-PORSCHE-SACHS-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b9fa568eQQitemZ11 0494373518QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

LNS Bearing $519 (Single Row) plus $70 for R&R Tool Kit from Jake Raby. I've found the Boxster to be very easy to work on if you take your time and do your research first. Heck, I replaced the ignition switch last week and found out just how many things were screwed up electrically now that they're all working correctly lol. Good Luck.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #14

[QUOTE=coreseller]Best price I've found on Sachs OEM Clutch Kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-BOXSTER-S-3-2L-3-2-PORSCHE-SACHS-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b9fa568eQQitemZ11 0494373518QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories

That one's for an S. Didn't notice whether Perfectlap has an S. Either way, I think you're doing pretty well if you can find the Sachs kit for <$400.

Are you planning to replace your flywheel while you're at it? My original clutch still had some life left on it at 70k. The flywheel didn't look great, so Jake recommended replacement. I got a new one from a friend who'd sold his car. When I was shopping (before I got my friend's), this was about the best deal I could find on an OEM type unit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-2002-LuK-Dual-Mass-Flywheel-DMF042_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a75e37b9QQitem Z230441236409QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fA ccessories

Given all the other money you're spending to do the job right, this is probably not the place to save ~$450. Dial up the LuK website to make sure you're getting the correct model for your 2000.

Last edited by gschotland; 03-03-2010 at 11:03 AM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #15

just did the RMS, IMS Retrofit, Lightweight Flywheel, Spec clutch, changed all bearings and other clutch parts; and finally, the front main seal. I noticed mine had started to leak some as well.
I am going to check the boots, and definitely change the wheel bearings while I am in there.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #16

[QUOTE=gschotland][QUOTE=coreseller]Best price I've found on Sachs OEM Clutch Kit:

That one's for an S. Didn't notice whether Perfectlap has an S. Either way, I think you're doing pretty well if you can find the Sachs kit for <$400.

Figured Mr. PerfectLap had an "S" per the center intake inlet. No Matter....Either way, think about how fortunate we are to have Charles at LN Engineering and Jake Raby to help us non tech guys out....seriously. These guys have put forth the effort and knowledge to see to it that enthusiasts like us can further our passions without the potential depth of pain.

Last edited by coreseller; 03-02-2010 at 06:39 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote