Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
pboxstercar

I was in the process of editing it to:

C'mon really...comparing a PM on a car to a PM on a jet carrying hunderds of people, a jet that is subjected to extreme weather conditions and metal fatigue, a jet that is in almost constant use. Are you joking?

Last edited by pboxstercar; 02-25-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #22

Garage
Whether a car or a jet, maintenance is in essence the same thing jets and racecars just have a higher standard.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
pboxstercar

Racecars? I thought we are taking about production Porche's - they are hardly racecars.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:06 AM   #24

Garage
I used a racecar because it would be on a par with the maintenance on a jet. All systems are routinely inspected and replaced. Analyzed for stress cracks, X-rayed the lot.

If you are wealthy or obessesive compulsive there is nothing stopping you from doing the same thing to a production car.

I keep a very high standard on my cars. I have a list of six or seven issues that I am monitoring and planning on each of my six cars.

My list is always evolving and given the resources I could easily cross over into the aerospace arena for maintenance.

It is simply a matter of time and money.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #25

I believe in almost cult like care when it comes to maintenance, I was raised with a strong sense of taking good care of my possessions, my house is in equally good order for the same reasons. It's pretty simple, condition effects value and more important longevity. My DD car is a 1999 and mechanically it's very sound, with 75 on the clock I'm going to drive it till it rusts out.

Just to bust my balls, my buddy tells me last night his new neighbor has a Boxster about to go 200K that he does nothing to. I told my pal it's likely when the first item goes that his car might be worth less than the repair, apparently the guy agrees with him, he's just gonna run it till it dies and go from there. Not my choice but in life every pot has a fitting lid.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #26

Garage
I think it is an age thing as well. Why is it the older I get, the greater need I feel to paint everything?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #27
pboxstercar

"My list is always evolving and given the resources I could easily cross over into the aerospace arena for maintenance."

I just crossed over into the twilight zone.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #28

Garage
I guess walking through the pits at an ALMS IMSA, F1, Grand-Am, GT or Nascar race does nothing for you? Personally I aspire to achieve their level of competance and precision.

If that ain't your bag then great but why did you buy a Porsche when a Yugo will get you from point A to point B?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
pboxstercar

If that ain't your bag then great but why did you buy a Porsche when a Yugo will get you from point A to point B?

Because I was never under the delusion that a Porsche Boxster was a Super Car.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #30

Garage
So your level of maintenance would be different on a Lamborghini than a Porsche? AFIAC my Boxster is a supercar to me but so is my 72 Land Rover.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
pboxstercar

"So your level of maintenance would be different on a Lamborghini than a Porsche? AFIAC my Boxster is a supercar to me but so is my 72 Land Rover."

Ford makes the Fiesta, they also made the Ford GT. I don't think many Fiesta owners think their car is the same as the GT. But I could be wrong.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM   #32

Garage
So you think that the Boxster is the red headed step child of Porsche? Let's get to the point here after all. If you are sorry you did not buy "a real porsche" then sell your Boxster and go buy a supercar. You are annoying me now and that is not that easy to do.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #33

I owned an RX8 several years ago and being on the RX8 forum allowed me to head off many of the issues before they cost me serious change.
So this issue is one of the main reasons I came on this forum.
First, before I bought my car, to find out which models were preferable to most, which had issues and what they were.
As you can see, my solution was a newer model with factory extended warranty (Certified).
Now, beside the obvious enjoyment of communicating with, mostly, like minded people from all over the world, I am able to keep up with what issues are effecting my model Porsche.
As an example, if lots of guys are having water pump issues at 60k miles, mine has 58k and I'm getting ready to go on a three to four thousand mile trip with Wifey, I would find it less expensive to replace the pump now, rather than a long tow, a ruined trip and the same expense to fix the pump, anyway.
If I'm at home and just doing local trips, I'll wait til it dies!
Something that can cause catastrophic failure, you bet, nip that puppy in the bud, but I'm not one to just replace expensive stuff like climbing a mountain, because it's there.

Last edited by Quickurt; 02-25-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #34
pboxstercar

"If I'm at home and just doing local trips, I'll wait til it dies!
Something that can cause catastrophic failure, you bet, nip that puppy in the bud, but I'm not one to just replace expensive stuff like climbing a mountain, because it's there."

Well said.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #35

If I can paraphrase on behalf of one Mr Rovered... I't's not about how cool the tool is, you take care of it with the same respect, it's an ideology; screw driver to air wrench, Mercury to Porsche.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 02-25-2010 at 12:50 PM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote