Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Garage
Window problem

Has anyone ever had an issue with the windows not closing after the top has been fully cycled? I open the top and the windows come down like they are supposed to, I close the top and I cant put the windows back up. Some places are saying its a microswitch, does anyone know where this is? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

986patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986patrick
Has anyone ever had an issue with the windows not closing after the top has been fully cycled? I open the top and the windows come down like they are supposed to, I close the top and I cant put the windows back up. Some places are saying its a microswitch, does anyone know where this is? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Patrick:

The most likely suspect is one of the two microswitches that are located in the latch receptacle in the windshield frame.

There are two microswitches in the latch receptacle assembly. There is one on the left side of the assembly (has a large plunger that juts out when the latch is open). That one controls the 4" window drop that occurs immediately when you pull down the latch to open the top. There is another one on the right side of the assembly, and that is the one that activates the convertible top double relay.

Sometimes the switch is faulty/intermittent, even though it may appear to be intact when you visually inspect it, and sometimes even when you test it with a multimeter. Specifically, take a close look at the solder joints where the leads attach to the plug. This can be hard to detect, so check it with a magnifying glass for hairline cracks in the solder joint and for corrosion. If necessary, heat up the connections with a soldering iron and flow a tiny bit of solder onto the suspect joint(s).

To gain access to the microswitch you have to remove the latch plate at the center of the windshield frame. Pop out the two little black plastic "eyes" by carefully prying them off with a very small flat blade screwdriver or borrow one of those "orange sticks" that women use on their fingernails to pry them out. Remove the small torx bolt that you will find under each one of the two eyes. Remove them and then pull down the latch plate carefully until you can see and access the wires for the switch and for the light. Unplug the wires and the latch plate will come off. You will find two fragile retaining clips that attach the switch to the underside of the latch plate. These are easy to break, so use a pair of small needle nose pliers to pull them off, very gently. You can reuse these if you are careful by squeezing the cross sections that are located at the center of the clips until they are flattened.

Also note that sometimes the plastic part of the mechanism is bent and the switch will work when it is depressed a little further. Stick a small piece of cardboard or a small piece of an old credit card in between the hook of the latch and the switch and test your windows. If the windows now work you have found the culprit.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

Hello,
If your window just got placed you should call the company and complain to them if the window. It could be because it's cold outside and the window has frost and froze at the bottom you can try leaving it there untill the warm days and then try to open them. Whatever you do don't get frusterated and trying to push it all the way. if there is cold coming out try to close the room and don't let anyone come in these could also be problems because your window is old. Try to call a window company and ask them.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 AM   #4

would a durametric give you the state of those micro switch for troubleshooting porpose ?
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #5

Mine did the same thing last year and it was the microswitch. Schoir hit it on the head. Pretty easy to fix. Just follow his instructions and you'll have it.

Schoir, nice write up.
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI Bill
Mine did the same thing last year and it was the microswitch. Schoir hit it on the head. Pretty easy to fix. Just follow his instructions and you'll have it.

Schoir, nice write up.
Bill:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just about 100% sure that Patrick's window problem is caused by the plunger type microswitch (of the two).

It would be helpful to future posters to hear of the actual resolution.

Regards, Maurice.

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote