Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 02:28 AM   #1

LED central brake light - problems?

Hi - Has anyone else had issues with the central LED brake light? I've bought two smoked ones now and both have been inoperative! One supplier tried all their remaining stock and none of them worked!
I even had someone contact me through ebay because they'd had 4 in a row not work!! Apparently they're wired incorrectly.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues over here (in the U.S) , and can reccomend somewhere to order one from?

Cheers

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I haven't done this mod, but I've read that you need to reverse the polarity on the wires in some cases, in order for it to work. Have you tried that?

This is what I've seen on the subject:

"Since LEDs are polarity specific and standard factory bulbs are not polarity specific, in some instances the factory wires will need to be switched around so that the positive (+) and negative (-) wires are properly matched to the LED brake light. No cutting is required, just a simple wire swap at the factory wire harness."

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #3

Correct you have to reverse the polarity by swapping the pins. Because it was random as to how the wires were installed at the factory you have a 50/50 shot. Once done the light will work and you can always put the old light back without having to undo the wires. I know this because I did it on mine but ended up putting the stock one back in.
Chris
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

Cool - thanks guys.

Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote