Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #1

What is draining the battery?

I know that it is an accepted thing that when you let the boxster sit for a few days the battery dies, however I am a little tired of getting new batteries.

I went to the car this am and all I heard was click click, If it sits for more than 2 days, worse if cold outside, the battery barely starts the car.

What is it that is draining the battery? The CPU? Alarm?
I have seen those battery disconnectors that disconnect but allow a minimal voltage to keep the radio and CPU memory active. Would that work?

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
I know that it is an accepted thing that when you let the boxster sit for a few days the battery dies, however I am a little tired of getting new batteries.

I went to the car this am and all I heard was click click, If it sits for more than 2 days, worse if cold outside, the battery barely starts the car.

What is it that is draining the battery? The CPU? Alarm?
I have seen those battery disconnectors that disconnect but allow a minimal voltage to keep the radio and CPU memory active. Would that work?
The list of what can be drawing power is almost endless; the alarm system, the stereo, GPS, radar detectors, etc. etc. Most don’t understand that something like a cell phone charger, even without the phone attached, still draws current.

Best way to sort this out is to disconnect your + battery terminal (be sure you have your radio code handy) and put a digital volt meter (set to measure current) between the cable and the battery. Then pull one fuse at a time from the fuse panel and watch the current draw change. This will tell you what circuits have the drain on them, and identify the level of drain for each. The basic car electronics (alarm, immobilizer, computer, radio and clock) should show a total draw in the milliamp range or so; draws beyond that are where your problem lies………………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #3

I would add that I have a 2001 S, and have let it sit for 2 weeks and it started right up. So what you are experiencing is probably not normal.

I've started using a battery maintainer now that the weather has turned.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #4

I hated dealing with parasitic drains- I would also look into a "battery brain".
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #5

A good battery and voltage regulator

and my no-modifications or additions Boxster sits for 3 weeks and starts right up in normal temperatures.

Ask yourself what wasn't on the car when the factory delivered it and first suspect that. Then follow JFP's advice on testing circuit by circuit for the abnormal drain.

The Boxster is smart enough to turn lots of things off as time goes by to save battery drain...if it is stock and everything is working right.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote