Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 01:02 AM   #1

Stuck in Snow... Ironic

Ok, so I just drove 20 miles home from school in my Boxster on horrible roads. It rained last night when about 3" of snow was on the ground and today about another 6".

Its 8pm and Im just turning into my neighborhood.. at 8mph and my back end starts to slide out from under me. As I correct it im not looking where the car is going...

The right side of the street was unplowed and snow from the left and cross street was plowed into a 10x20 section on the street... the only spot that wasnt plowed and my car ran right up into it and got stuck.

A car with 4'' of clearance stuck in the middle of a about a foot of snow...

IRONICALLY... the first person to stop and help me was a guy driving a Cayenne Turbo.... we ended up borrowing a shovel from the people on the corner. As we were digging out the car, a snow plow came down the street, turned in and waited for us to get the car out.

Apparently he realized he "Missed a spot".

I have a sincere question for everyone. If someone is in need of vehicular assistance like me, has a flat tire, ran out of gas, etc.... would you be more apt to stop and help that person if they were driving a Porsche rather than another vehicle???

Its wintertime in Chicago I need a hot chocolate.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 12-10-2009 at 01:06 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 AM   #2

The storm that hit Chicago also left 8-10" of snow on Omaha. Last night I finished up my 2nd tour of snow blowing. Got into the warmth of my house when I heard a vehicle having trouble just up the hill from me. I look out the window and see a 4wd full size Bronco was trying to back down the hill to take another run when it backed into some deep snow. No one was helping this poor soul. I still had my heavy clothes on, so I went out to push. The guy's wife came down to help and another guy from somewhere did too. We got him going but the snow on my street was so deep I think he left his SUV at the bottom of the hill until the plow came by. Anyway, the storm allowed me to meet some new neighbors. They all asked where I lived and when I pointed to my house, they all knew - I'm the Porsche guy. They were all concerned that I wasn't driving it around in this snow. I assured them that Punkin was clean and resting comfortably in the garage.

Keeping a small shovel in your car will be one of the best things you can do. It will allow you to get out of many snowy situations.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress

I have a sincere question for everyone. If someone is in need of vehicular assistance like me, has a flat tire, ran out of gas, etc.... would you be more apt to stop and help that person if they were driving a Porsche rather than another vehicle???

Its wintertime in Chicago I need a hot chocolate.

Whether I stop or not has to do with the driver/passengers more than the vehicle. I'm much more likely to stop and help a lady, or someone with kids.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #4

Garage
Since I own a Porsche I would stop, I always drive my Land Rovers in conditions that are less than perfect. I would pull him out because he is in a Porsche but I would also charge him more because he is in a Porsche if getting stuck was the result of bad driving.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #5

This might be handy...

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

I will always stop to help anyone that I can. I may laugh at you if I see a box stuck in the snow. I drove my box in the snow once and it was the worst thing I have ever driven in the snow. I know it it is not easy to have 2 cars but it is worth finding a thousand dollar beater jeep or something like that if you are going to have weather like that.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Just because it's a winter beater doesn't mean it has to be a truck.

This is my current AWD winter "beater"

And this was my previous one

They're cheap, fast, and great in the snow. The predecessors to the WRX and Evo.

Last edited by blue2000s; 12-10-2009 at 12:41 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #8

I wouldn't be without my 4x4 Jeep in Chicago winters (last years shot)...the Porsches hibernate from fall to spring, when ever that may be!
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
JTP

Here in Alaska, it is mandatory to give assistance to any disabled vehicle or pedestrian on the road during the winter. Average temps here in Dec-March is -25F, dropping as low as -65F. Someone stranded would certainly freeze to death if their engine was not running, or if they had to walk. Severe fine if you are seen driving away without giving assistance. Despite the law, I don't think I could drive away in good conscience. It's just too cold here.
I've pulled many cars out of ditches and snowbanks, even AWD Subarus. They had crap tires.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #10

I guess I should scrounge around and get a beater for the winter.. this will be my 4th winter driving the box here in the Chicago area.

Times are tight. Im just trying to figure out if ill toss it on the plastic card, sell some of my stocks, or raid my IRA and treasury bonds.

Or just stick it out this winter and see where this economy goes...

So many options.

Personally, I was in scouting for 12 years. I usually always lend a hand whenever I can, but I feel that in a situation I would pass up helping if the person didnt drive a Porsche, I would stop and help if they did. Kindred spirits.

Tomorrow, Im heading to Davenport, IA with some buddies of mine for a reunion. Thankfully, were taking a 2006 Jeep 4x4.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Since I drive my Boxster in the snow I normally don't stop to help, mostly because I don't want to get stuck as well (the sides of the road have far more snow on them from being plowed), and because there are plenty of other people around to help. But If I am the only one around, I'll help out. However, it also depends on the people in need of assistance, I am more likely to help out a fellow Porsche or a lady.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #12

I've got a similiar shovel to the Glock that I bought at an army surplus for about 8 bucks and have carried in my trunk for years.

Fully extended and swung skillfully it could be very discouraging to someone with bad intentions.

Last edited by gerry100; 12-11-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: sp
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:14 PM   #13
JTP

I don't have a Glock shovel, but I keep my Army issued intrenching tool and my .45 in my car.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry100
I've got a similiar shovel to the Glock that I bought at an army surplus for about 8 bucks and have carried in my trunk for years.

Fully extended and swung skillfully it could be very discouraging to someone with bad intentions.

Indeed. At a certain angle, that Glock would be deadly. And, I don't think it could be considered a concealed weapon!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Since I own a Porsche I would stop, I always drive my Land Rovers in conditions that are less than perfect. I would pull him out because he is in a Porsche but I would also charge him more because he is in a Porsche if getting stuck was the result of bad driving.
I live in North Dakota, and I always help if I can, without asking for money....I used to have a 75 Landcruiser with a 350 chev motor, and 5 inch lift... we would prowl the streets during blizzards to help people just for the fun of it..... i wouldnt dream of asking for money to help out..... I hope you never need help sometime and have the helper ask for money before helping you out... that is not in the spirit of "helping out" in my opinion.....

fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote