Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #1

Clear Bra

I would like to hear what you think about products like 3M's Autobahd. I'm not sold on seeing the line at the edges of it. Do like the idea of the protection, but what does it look like two years down the road. Short money add when the car comes in. Thanks

graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #2

check out my fingerprint, its on everyone of those photos. I think the previous owner picked ivisguard or maybe it was stonguard.
Most people never notice it. I'm using a black vinly bra on the hood.

its covering 1/4 of the hood and most of the front bumper.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-10-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #3

clear bra

I have a friend who had the 3m brand put on a little over two years ago, and he loves it. The line is minimal unless you let something like wax buildup on the edge. It has seen many hard winters in both W.V. and Colorado and he is just now going to have it replaced with a fresh bra by 3m again because it is showing signs of wear. He swears by them.
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 PM   #4

I've seen a LOT of cars with clear bras. There's a high-dollar dealership around here, lots of used Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Every car there seems to have a clear bra and yes, the line is noticeable, and more noticeable on the lighter colors that have some dirt build-up on the edges. Dark cars too though--it'll show up as a light edge instead.

But from anything more than ten feet away you can't tell it's there. You'll notice the lines on the side mirrors the most as the coverage is kind of weird there and plus, it's the closest to your head.

I'm definitely getting a clear-bra installed on my S when it arrives. I'm told the full kit retails for $700 or so installed, but my friend owns a body shop that specializes in Porsches and will get it done for me at cost, thankfully. That's a lot to put out for what amounts to a clear sticker!

Thankfully, you know how it is with silver cars, dirt doesn't show very much on them so I'm not too concerned with the edges. The one thing that does concern me is seeing swirls in the plastic. My boss has a Maserati and I just noticed the other day that the plastic was very swirly and this was right after the car had been detailed as it sat in the parking lot. I suppose swirls are better than rock chips though...
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:45 AM   #5

You may be able to avoid the swirls if you use Klasse Sealant on the film when it is relatively new. This works on paint finishes quite well so it might help here.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #6

The swirls are a result of improper care. Obviously the plastic is softer than the paint on your car, and therefore will also scratch easier at the car wash. As far as $700.00, I must be in the wrong business, but really though, my friend that is having his rather large Infinity SUV redone with original 3m is only paying $150.00 to have it redone. Originally the dealership in Denver only charged him $200.00, so I would shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I've seen a LOT of cars with clear bras. There's a high-dollar dealership around here, lots of used Ferraris, Lambos, etc. Every car there seems to have a clear bra and yes, the line is noticeable, and more noticeable on the lighter colors that have some dirt build-up on the edges. Dark cars too though--it'll show up as a light edge instead.

But from anything more than ten feet away you can't tell it's there. You'll notice the lines on the side mirrors the most as the coverage is kind of weird there and plus, it's the closest to your head.

I'm definitely getting a clear-bra installed on my S when it arrives. I'm told the full kit retails for $700 or so installed, but my friend owns a body shop that specializes in Porsches and will get it done for me at cost, thankfully. That's a lot to put out for what amounts to a clear sticker!

Thankfully, you know how it is with silver cars, dirt doesn't show very much on them so I'm not too concerned with the edges. The one thing that does concern me is seeing swirls in the plastic. My boss has a Maserati and I just noticed the other day that the plastic was very swirly and this was right after the car had been detailed as it sat in the parking lot. I suppose swirls are better than rock chips though...
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:30 PM   #7

I have Autobahnd clear film installed by the dealer on my new '02 Lapis Blue. Had it for three years in New England climate with no ill effects at all. As for those white outlines aolng the edges caused by waxing build up should go away with the cleaning spray bottles like Maguire's or Zymols. Just wipe along the edges with microfiber towel after spraying. Sometimes just the damp towel will do fine. As for those swirls on the plastic area, try Plaxus or Plaxis plastic conditioner spray. Watch out for those detailers who uses mechanical devices like orbital buffers.. they will definitely cause those swirl marks. I prefer washing and waxing the car by hand.
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:10 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to ntmatter
I had Stongard on my Viper - not only the full kit but also some along the roofline and where the wheels would kick up rocks. The stuff's awesome. It looks better on a lighter-color car, mine was silver with blue stripes so you could barely see it on the silver but could notice some small stretch marks on the blue stripes. If you're going to put miles on your car, if you live in an area where they put sand on the road, and especially if you take your car to the track you should have the clear bra.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #9

Yeah $700 is not outlandish. When I had my windows tinted the guy at the speed shop brought out the Ivisiguard/Stonguard book and showed me the prices. Each piece on my Boxster's front end was $200 and there are like 6 pieces total.
The only things worse than paying that much is seeing tons of little white chips all along the front of your Boxster. Touch up paint never really does the job.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote