Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Attention!

Hello Fellow forum members,

As many of you already know my car has been involved in a collision. Yesterday while speaking with my insurance company after an adjuster took a look at the car has me in a position that might require me to pull the trigger and call the car a total loss.

Here is what I need from you guys.............

There are TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars in upgrades on my 986. 90% of them practically brand new and unharmed from the accident. There are several parts which I need to remove however I no longer have the stock parts.

I need the following in order to put the car back to semi "stock" condition.

-Wheels (ANY stock set of wheels/tires that fit a Boxster for CHEAP)
-Exhaust (Already donated by a forum member)
-5speed shift knob
-Dash Speaker pods (Mine have been modded to fit Focal Components)
-Regular Head Lights (Mine has factory Litronics, only minor damage from the accident)

My IDEAL goal is to get people that are local who are willing to help me out. It would be too much hassle to ship parts off here and there.

So if you are local and are willing to help me out please contact me. You may email me anytime at JDeMircift at gmail dot com.

***ANYONE WHO DOES IN FACT HELP ME OUT WILL HAVE FIRST PRIORITY AT THE PARTS REMOVED FROM MY CAR IF I DO NOT END UP WITH ANOTHER BOXSTER SO PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND***

I am not asking for FREE parts but I am asking for stuff that is CHEAP even with MINOR damage or possible TRADES.

I may be updating the list in the near future as I am having a hard time remembering EVERYTHING that needs to be removed.

THANK YOU ALL!

James D.

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #2

Dude! You need a bumper cover and a hood. What am I missing here?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
Dude! You need a bumper cover and a hood. What am I missing here?
Well they pulled it apart and it sems when the hood pushed in it pushed the trunk retaining inward as well. There is ZERO actual structural damange but they would have to replace more than they think the car is worth.

They estimated a BASE 2001 Boxster is not worth fixing for 10k. The bodyshop says realistic quote would be 8.5k for the repairs but the insurance wrote it up for 10.6k.

My post was just to give the forum a heads up on what MAY happen even though I don't think it will. It will be a great time for people to have a chance at picking up my parts. EVERYTHING will eventually be for sale FOR CHEAP except the Seats. Those will go into my 997 which I will hopefully get by April if this car is scraped.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Should they total the car (remember, this is negotiable) , you could always look at retaining the car as salvage. You would have the choice to repair it or sell off the valuable parts yourself.....
2012 Tunda - Dad Hauler
Fat Tire - Favorite Beer
2TrunkSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Fred Demara

not sure how the law works in CA, but in Georgia, if you have an accident, the car is totaled, you get a check from your insurance and have the option to keep the car (minus what the insurance says they could have gotten for your car in scape). You then can apply for a salvage title and continue driving the car.

Might be worth looking into just in case you're not able to source these parts before they take the car.

Best of luck, trigem

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Well they pulled it apart and it sems when the hood pushed in it pushed the trunk retaining inward as well. There is ZERO actual structural damange but they would have to replace more than they think the car is worth.

They estimated a BASE 2001 Boxster is not worth fixing for 10k. The bodyshop says realistic quote would be 8.5k for the repairs but the insurance wrote it up for 10.6k.

My post was just to give the forum a heads up on what MAY happen even though I don't think it will. It will be a great time for people to have a chance at picking up my parts. EVERYTHING will eventually be for sale FOR CHEAP except the Seats. Those will go into my 997 which I will hopefully get by April if this car is scraped.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here's a cheap arse shift knob on fleabay that you can get and just throw on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Boxster-shift-knob-and-boot-97-04_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d268f7ec6QQitemZ400 078896838QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcces sories

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #7

Yes, Plus 1 on keeping the car. It will be much less hassle than taking parts off and selling them off. In ohio we also have the ability to negotiate with the insurance company. Our dealership has done that to get cars for our buy here pay here lot. Of course I am not talking boxsters, but the theory is still the same. After they tow the car and pay somebody to sell it, most likely a salvage yard, they are lucky to 10% to 20% of the salvaged value. It's almost a total write off for them.

Just call them and ask them what offer is on the table. You can always negotiate and you should as they are in the business to minimize losses. Yes they will probably try to screw you. Just tell them you will not sign off until the have satisfied you.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg

Last edited by mptoledo; 10-21-2009 at 12:18 PM.
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
If you want to work something out on the dash speakers let me know. I can get all the stuff out overnight.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 PM   #9

Suggest you also post this in the classified section to increase your chances.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #10

I have stock headlights for a 2002 S, stock side lights, stock tail lights, maxspeed muffler, stock intake, stock center console, stock instument pod, stock pedals, stock headers, stock secondary cats, and stock turbo twist rims 18.

you can have all but the rims for free....but i am in texas.

just an offer, let me know.

james
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #11

i have no idea if your car is paid off or not, but assuming it's paid off, and hte check they cut is a check to YOU and you get cash in your hand...I KNOW you can pull off your parts. I had this happen years ago..to a car with some mild mods...I sold my parts and did just what you did. i found a guy who wanted myparts. I no longer had stock parts..so he showed up with is car, and we pulled parts off his car, swapped them with my car, so that my car had all the stock parts on it when the ins co. pickedi t up - but he got to take the upgraded parts..and I got some cash out of it.

insurance company could care less if you have stock exhasut or a full fabspeed system. they are going to sell it to a scrap yard / salvage yard. no point in letting someone else scoop up all those parts.

get people who want your parts, have them come to you, assist ini the R&R, and then they also pay you for the parts.

overall, your situation s ucks..as you have a beautiful car..but given your situation, if the car is totalled...and you do NOT plan to pay to keep it..and it is going to be sold..grab yoru parts.

as others have said her..if you do want to keep the car, you CAN keep it and take the check they give you and then fix the car. the downside to that is that the car is then titled as salvage...so good luck selling it ever for anything reasonable... but if you plan to keep it forever who cares....

that decision is up to you. one way or the other, all your parts - you n eed to kep those!!!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #12

well if you have the time... buy it back from the insurance comany as salvage and them part it out.
or buy it back, repair it your self, and have 10 k in your pocket.

you would make your money back rather quickly selling parts. The motor alone is 5k, tranny about 3. However you have to have the resorces to pull parts like engine and tranny.

otherwise, get on the phone to LA dismantlers and see what they would give you for it, may be more than the buy back from insurance.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #13

5k for used 2.7L...your smoking crack.......gbox sells refurbished 6-spd for $3.5k so I think your shooting high there as well.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #14

Glad stuff worked out for you dude! :dance:

My bad on the phone call dude I was getting bad reception and could barely make out some of the stuff you said.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #15

HA! Guess what fella's the car is going to be good as new. The insurance appraised the car and took into account all the mods on the car because everything is OEM and the can CAN actually be ordered the way I have it.

My car was appraised at $26,803 by AAA!!!! Don't get me wrong I HIGHLY doubt anyone would pay that for a 2001 Boxster but this means they will fix it and the car keeps its clean title.

No more need for parts!

Thanks everyone for trying to help me out!

James D.
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Fred Demara

AAA does car insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k

My car was appraised at $26,803 by AAA!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #17

Yup we have been with AAA for 30years now...

-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3