Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #1

Yet another one Drooling and wanting a Porsche

Hi Guys nice website and hopefully will be in here until I get my Porsche and the wonderfull years and miles thereafter, was looking at ways to get in my dream ride well my best bet is to get a 2010 boxter/cayman manual of course in 2013 have 3 good years to save up for a good downpayment on a used one preferably a certified due to the expense of upkeep and owning the name brand Porsche. always wanted one and will always want one till I get one. Will need all the support from all you guys it will be along and tedious road ahead but I will get my goal

elgeebeekei10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum. You can't go wrong with a boxster or a cayman. Good luck!
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #3

Any thoughts on Financing??

What if tomorrow never comes...........

Just a thought!

Best of luck.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #4

I need to save up on a good chunk for downpayment get the credit score up to the 800's then will take the plunge, am dying to have one sooo bad!!!! good things come to those who wait. he he he
Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgeebeekei10
I need to save up on a good chunk for downpayment get the credit score up to the 800's then will take the plunge, am dying to have one sooo bad!!!! good things come to those who wait. he he he
Or just find an older low mileage one for under $20000!! You can find a good used 2001 "s" for under $16k a 2003 "s" for under $20k both with less than 40k miles.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Guys nice website and hopefully will be in here until I get my Porsche and the wonderfull years and miles thereafter, was looking at ways to get in my dream ride well my best bet is to get a 2010 boxter/cayman manual of course in 2013 have 3 good years to save up for a good downpayment on a used one preferably a certified due to the expense of upkeep and owning the name brand Porsche. always wanted one and will always want one till I get one. Will need all the support from all you guys it will be along and tedious road ahead but I will get my goal
I know you're excited, but why are you torturing yourself with something that won't happen for three years?

Are you really going to spend the next 3 years thinking to yourself as you drive your Chevy Impala down the highway, "In just 1000 more days, I will be driving a Boxster instead of this Impala!"

I have a bit of a hint:

A used Boxster from '97 through '08 is just as exciting to drive as a 2010 will be.
Its not like the laws of physics have changed much in the past 12 years.

Winter's coming.
You will be able to find a used one that someone needs to unload for dirt cheap.
Pick it up, save up the cash you would have spent on financing and payments, and then build up your new car fund that way.

That way, you can have your Boxster, and get a new one too.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #7

Is your insuranced paid up and do you have "gap" coverage on your impala?

Now of course I am just kidding and not suggesting any sort of fraud. But seriously make sure you have "gap" insurance coverage, just in case you hit ice/a deer,armadillo, or it gets stolen and they total it out. Gap will cover the difference of what you owe and what its worth.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Fred Demara

blade, I mostly agree with one exception...the cost of a replacement engine is 13k. I'm on my third.

Buy one that's under porsche extended warranty...unless you can take out, tear down, rebuilt and re-insert a failed engine...an older 986 is a costly gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladecutter

I have a bit of a hint:

A used Boxster from '97 through '08 is just as exciting to drive as a 2010 will be.
Its not like the laws of physics have changed much in the past 12 years.

BC.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #9

Am just starting off just got a House, a new Jeep for the wife so those are a couple of factors in getting that second car. and I don't Drive an impala I drive a "Civic" LOL I had my car since 2001 and only have 63000 on it so 2013 is when I hit 100,000 miles and will be in good financial shape to tackle another big purchase. I do appreciate the support. thanks guys
Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Bob Hindson Racing

Looking at 986 cars, the 03-04 is the most desirable. As long as you buy a solid car and get the IMS updated, the brunt of the risk is eliminated.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:03 AM   #11

Welcome! There are plenty of great folks here. Keep focused on your goals and you'll have a Porsche soon enough. I lusted after one for seven years before I got my Boxster. Now I am lusting again to add to the family but again have to wait till I pay off the 08 Mazda I bought new. As I would really like something from 09 or newer the time is fine but I have been drooling over 993's lately too.

Agreed too though that if you go for something that is a few years old just plan on having a couple extra grand on hand to get the IMS bearing updated (and the RMS or clutch while you're at it) right away. The older model's lower cost plus this would still be a lot less than a much newer year.

Chris
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #12

Since it sounds like your basic transportation is covered, now would be a good time to pick up a Boxster! BTW I've owned 3 Honda Civics, all had over 200k, two of them had close to 300k before I sold them running!

We went with an older Boxster a '98. We didn't finiance it so if something happens to the engine it's not the end of the world. We're thinking we'll rebuild the engine in a year or two anyway for more power\reliability.

The current prices for these cars make them an attractive buy, if your perpaired for the service expences.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #13

if the boxster / cayman will be a daily drive r- get the newest one you can, get it under warranty / CPO / etc.

if you have DD transportation covered and the boxster is a pure toy, and you are on a budget, an older one is not a bad idea.. if you can live with the prospect that it *could* break and *could* be very expensive,a nd you would not be able to drive it for a long time until you had the funds to repair it - then maybe an older one is worth the risk.

i agree with what another poster said - an older used boxster will be JUST as much fun as a newer one. newer is better, and if you test drive an 09, and then test drive a 99 - yeah, you'll want the 09...but if you went and test drove a 200hp 98-99 model...chances are it will plastera smile all over your face just as much as the newer one will.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #14

Very tempting thought guys lets see what happens in the coming months, Who knows I might hit the Lotto or win big in a scratch off ticket then I'll go for new. but as for now am trying to juggle my finances and keep my head above water finance wise. But I have been talking to the wife and she says it is a go when 2013 hits who knows I might even get a new one.

Last edited by elgeebeekei10; 10-11-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
But I have been talking to the wife and she says it is a go when 2013 hits

Wow, and I thought I tried to plan major purchases well in advance!!!

You realise the world may end in 2012 don't you?
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM   #16

2012? You talking that incan/myan thing? I thought the world ended January 20th 2009!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #17

You've got a plan man, sounds like a good one! One thing you should consider is having two cars. I've done this for the last 10 years or so and it actually works very nicely. With two cars you can drive the Honduh as your daily driver and beater car. When you need to go to the airport and park outside for a week - drive the Honduh. Then buy a nice, used Boxster for your fun weekend car. If it breaks, don't worry as you don't rely on it day to day. You can take the time to fix it yourself or take it to a shop. IMHO that's the way to go...

Kirk

1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote