Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #1

Porsche? Behaves like a Jaguar

Now that my AOS problem is behind me, time for the next issue.

I have long driven Jaguars - love them with that V12 engine. But yes they are a bizarre car and you have to open the glove box and close one eye to make the radio work on a Tuesday. Always something.

Well, my Boxster has developed this in the environmental control. I can't get the darn fan to run as it should - or at all - most of the times. But sometimes it will. No amount or type of fussing with the controls will make it run. But if I turn off the car and restart it - the fan may run... possibly. Possibly not. There is no pattern.

When it does run it works exactly as it should whether on AC or heating, and the speed control works too. When it doesn't run, the control indicators are showing correctly, but no fan. Driving down the highway with forced air I can tell that the heating control is working because the air will be warm, but only as forced by airflow.

Anybody heard of this intermittent problem?

Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #2

sounds like a typical bad ignition switch gremlin.

It's a $15 (even less if order online from ************************************************************) DIY R&R

Here's a link to the R&R Procedure et al
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #3

Burg I think you are right. I have been having problems with my ignition switch and I do believe that's the issue. I have made some half-hearted attempts at replacing it, but at 6'3" my hands are like pan cakes and I gave up. But now I notice a new procedure has been posted for guys like me and I will give it another go.

Kevfra is offline   Reply With Quote