Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 06:24 AM   #1

Cruise control stalk hitting knee

Modifying Cruise Control Stalk Angle?

I fit snugly but comfortably in my Boxster, with one exception: my right leg rubs or bumps against the cruise control stalk. If I could move the stalk just an inch higher, I wouldn't have this issue and it wouldn't seem to interfere with the wiper stalk, either. If the stalk is just hard plastic, I was thinking I might be able to heat it with a hair dryer a little bit to make it soft so I could move it. Has anyone else tried this? Any other ideas for a heat source to use? Or, is there a hidden metal core to the stalk that would prevent my plan from working. I would like to keep the ability to use cruise for the odd road trip I do. Appreciate any and all ideas.

rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #2

The stalk is part of a 3 or 4-stalk assembly which uses a ring clamp to hold it on the steering column. You can remove the assembly cover, loosen the ring clamp and swivel the whole assembly to the left or right which will raise/lower all the stalks. That may help, but the individual stalks cannot be adjusted separately.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart
Modifying Cruise Control Stalk Angle?

I fit snugly but comfortably in my Boxster, with one exception: my right leg rubs or bumps against the cruise control stalk. If I could move the stalk just an inch higher, I wouldn't have this issue and it wouldn't seem to interfere with the wiper stalk, either. If the stalk is just hard plastic, I was thinking I might be able to heat it with a hair dryer a little bit to make it soft so I could move it. Has anyone else tried this? Any other ideas for a heat source to use? Or, is there a hidden metal core to the stalk that would prevent my plan from working. I would like to keep the ability to use cruise for the odd road trip I do. Appreciate any and all ideas.
Consider getting the “GT-3 console delete” option, that will free up the area to the right of your knee, allowing it to move away from the stalk……………

JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Stalk

Added input. This car is going to be 98% for track. Hence I may do a removable steering wheel. Does this info change anything? Also where do I get info on the console delete option?
Thanks
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Added input. This car is going to be 98% for track. Hence I may do a removable steering wheel. Does this info change anything? Also where do I get info on the console delete option?
Thanks

It is a Porsche aftermarket kit, try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR for a good price........costs about $110 and comes in a variety of colors............

JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks
Sorry, it does not change anything. The whole stalk assembly is fitted over the steering column and all the stalks protrude from that axis. If you have a 3-stalk assembly (no OBC stalk), you could rotate that so the CC stalk is out of your way, but like before, all the stalks would then be skewed. With the 4-stalk assembly, rotating it to the left (raising the CC stalk) would lower the OBC stalk, probably just moving your problem to the other side. Using a removable steering wheel won't help, because it is fitted to the end of the column while the column actually fits through the stalk assembly. Now, you do have some fore/aft adjustment available to the stalk assembly and perhaps that would offer some relief. Once you have the wheel off, it will all be very clear.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-04-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
You should consult with your physician about getting a height reduction.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

well, i'd guess on the track you won't be using cruise control too much ;-)
So why not cut the thing off with a saw or a dremel?
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:31 AM   #9

Two guys beat me to saying GT3 console delete. I did it too because I have long legs. Drives wonderful without that useless piece of console and has a cool retro look more traditional of pre console autos. For racing it's a no brainer. That console is in the way. Just unbolt it for a day and you'll see.

Bob