986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cruise control stalk hitting knee (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21974)

rhart 09-04-2009 06:24 AM

Cruise control stalk hitting knee

Modifying Cruise Control Stalk Angle?

I fit snugly but comfortably in my Boxster, with one exception: my right leg rubs or bumps against the cruise control stalk. If I could move the stalk just an inch higher, I wouldn't have this issue and it wouldn't seem to interfere with the wiper stalk, either. If the stalk is just hard plastic, I was thinking I might be able to heat it with a hair dryer a little bit to make it soft so I could move it. Has anyone else tried this? Any other ideas for a heat source to use? Or, is there a hidden metal core to the stalk that would prevent my plan from working. I would like to keep the ability to use cruise for the odd road trip I do. Appreciate any and all ideas.

Lil bastard 09-04-2009 06:45 AM

The stalk is part of a 3 or 4-stalk assembly which uses a ring clamp to hold it on the steering column. You can remove the assembly cover, loosen the ring clamp and swivel the whole assembly to the left or right which will raise/lower all the stalks. That may help, but the individual stalks cannot be adjusted separately.

:cheers:

JFP in PA 09-04-2009 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhart
Modifying Cruise Control Stalk Angle?

I fit snugly but comfortably in my Boxster, with one exception: my right leg rubs or bumps against the cruise control stalk. If I could move the stalk just an inch higher, I wouldn't have this issue and it wouldn't seem to interfere with the wiper stalk, either. If the stalk is just hard plastic, I was thinking I might be able to heat it with a hair dryer a little bit to make it soft so I could move it. Has anyone else tried this? Any other ideas for a heat source to use? Or, is there a hidden metal core to the stalk that would prevent my plan from working. I would like to keep the ability to use cruise for the odd road trip I do. Appreciate any and all ideas.

Consider getting the “GT-3 console delete” option, that will free up the area to the right of your knee, allowing it to move away from the stalk……………

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1229972319.jpg

rhart 09-04-2009 07:32 AM

Stalk

Added input. This car is going to be 98% for track. Hence I may do a removable steering wheel. Does this info change anything? Also where do I get info on the console delete option?
Thanks

JFP in PA 09-04-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Added input. This car is going to be 98% for track. Hence I may do a removable steering wheel. Does this info change anything? Also where do I get info on the console delete option?
Thanks

It is a Porsche aftermarket kit, try Sunset Porsche in Beaverton, OR for a good price........costs about $110 and comes in a variety of colors............

http://e-partssales.com/miva/graphic...T3console2.jpg

Lil bastard 09-04-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Sorry, it does not change anything. The whole stalk assembly is fitted over the steering column and all the stalks protrude from that axis. If you have a 3-stalk assembly (no OBC stalk), you could rotate that so the CC stalk is out of your way, but like before, all the stalks would then be skewed. With the 4-stalk assembly, rotating it to the left (raising the CC stalk) would lower the OBC stalk, probably just moving your problem to the other side. Using a removable steering wheel won't help, because it is fitted to the end of the column while the column actually fits through the stalk assembly. Now, you do have some fore/aft adjustment available to the stalk assembly and perhaps that would offer some relief. Once you have the wheel off, it will all be very clear.

:cheers:

TimAustinW 09-04-2009 10:24 AM

You should consult with your physician about getting a height reduction. :cheers:

ChrisZang 09-04-2009 10:47 AM

well, i'd guess on the track you won't be using cruise control too much ;-)
So why not cut the thing off with a saw or a dremel?

Bobiam 09-05-2009 07:31 AM

Two guys beat me to saying GT3 console delete. I did it too because I have long legs. Drives wonderful without that useless piece of console and has a cool retro look more traditional of pre console autos. For racing it's a no brainer. That console is in the way. Just unbolt it for a day and you'll see.

Bob