Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #1

Another aftermarket warranty question ...

My car is currently at 45K and the CPO expires in 6 months.

So far, on CPO, I have had almost 3K worth of coverage taken care of, and seeing how even lil leaks can cost so much in this car, I'm pretty much decided on an aftermarket warranty.

After doing some research on the site about aftermarket warranty companies, I decided to go with Warranty Direct. It seems the best of the bad options. They'll fight you when it comes time for a brand new engine ( atleast in 1 case ), but for most of the other stuff, they seems to payout.

Now my question is that why is it when I read other member's post, their price quotes seems to be in the 2K - 3K range for 48K miles, while WD quoted me almost 10K on their website!!

10K is just insane. There's no way I'm going to buy that. How did you guys get your quotes so low? Is there a third party `reseller` that I should be going to?

nefarious986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986

So far, on CPO, I have had almost 3K worth of coverage taken care of, and seeing how even lil leaks can cost so much in this car, I'm pretty much decided on an aftermarket warranty.

After doing some research on the site about aftermarket warranty companies, I decided to go with Warranty Direct. It seems the best of the bad options. They'll fight you when it comes time for a brand new engine ( atleast in 1 case ), but for most of the other stuff, they seems to payout.

Now my question is that why is it when I read other member's post, their price quotes seems to be in the 2K - 3K range for 48K miles, while WD quoted me almost 10K on their website!!

10K is just insane. There's no way I'm going to buy that. How did you guys get your quotes so low? Is there a third party `reseller` that I should be going to?
What you should be doing is forgetting about these policies, in general they are a waste of money...............
JFP in PA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefarious986

My warranty company, Warranty America, just got bought out by what appears to be a superior service. They have upped their pay out to $149/hr (it was previously $100/hr) and they just covered my oil cooler & repair without incident. I had NUMEROUS issues with them before the buy-out. I can't recommend any one warranty over another, as it seems they are all inconsistent. Ask you dealership about the CPO coverage they had on your car. They may be able to recommend a good service. In Chicago, Loeber informed me that the new bumper to bumper CPO that they offer (additional 24 mos/24K miles) is not through Porsche, but through a company that works well with our type of car (high maintenance.) Maybe you can go through them directly.
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #4

Maybe they now have warranty payout experience that

says that they will have to pay out on average $2k for that length of warranty on that car. Since extended warranty companies only pay out 20% of what they charge (on average) the $10k figure is easily derived.

If you gave WD your email address, when you don't buy they will feed you a slightly discounted quote as a special deal in a few weeks. Don't ever take their first quote.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote