Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #1

How much room under the passenger seat?

I want to install a Clarion SRV303 powered sub under my passenger seat and I'm wondering if anyone has removed that seat and can tell me how much clearance is under there. The thing is a little over 9" deep. Will it fit? I just want to get some bass in the car so I can turn the bass down to the rest of the speakers (the dash speakers can't do much volume at the current bass setting of "8").

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MPAjsjvqYBK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&id=features_and_specs&i=020SRV303

Thanks,

Last edited by CA_Boxster; 02-23-2005 at 10:27 PM.
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM   #2

I guess it depends if you have a height adjustment for the passenger seat.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:12 AM   #3

Question

I have never tried this but would be astonished if there was room to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Boxster
I want to install a Clarion SRV303 powered sub under my passenger seat and I'm wondering if anyone has removed that seat and can tell me how much clearance is under there. The thing is a little over 9" deep. Will it fit? I just want to get some bass in the car so I can turn the bass down to the rest of the speakers (the dash speakers can't do much volume at the current bass setting of "8").

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MPAjsjvqYBK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=51000&id=features_and_specs&i=020SRV303

Thanks,
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #4

One way to find out is just take a cardboard box and cut it down to the size of this subwoofer and shove it under the seat and see if it works.

I bet it would fit behind the driver or the passenger seat, providing you're not 6 foot 2 inches and needing the leg room. A sample box the size of the unit would tell you for sure.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #5

If you intend to be able to still move the seat with the sub in place, I think there is no way. If I remember correctly, there's a bunch of wires down there too (mine has heated seats). But like Randall says, put a cardboard model in place and see. Be sure to try all the seat adjustments to see what happens.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #6

Based on just shoving my hand underneath and feeling around, I think you guys are right. There are wires, metal supports, etc. It's not going to fit. It could potentially go behind one of the seats, but that would limit seat travel more than is reasonable. It looks like I'll have to come up with a new plan.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
Lux

I don't know where you are in CA, but these guys have a footwell box for a low-pro sub. Looks like there's no volume to the box so I don't know how good it would sound...

http://www.monney.com/boxster02.htm
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:25 AM   #8

I'm not far from them. I called once to ask what it would cost to do an overall upgrade like the Boxster they feature and the price was $2500, so I figured they might be pricey all around. I am going to call and ask just about that sub enclosure, though. It looks like the footwell solution is probably the best one.

There's an installer at my local Good Guys who has done a number of Boxsters and has also built those footwell enclosures. I've never seen the result of what he does, though. His price is $400.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #9

big enough for a bottle of Enizett Cockpit Premium, my Porsche air pressure gauge in the shiny mettalic case and a bottle of Lexol for leather seats

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote