Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Coolant Drain Plug O-Ring Part Number?

Anyone know the part number for the o-ring that seals the coolant drain plug on the bottom of the engine?

My water pump is failing so I'm gathering all the parts to replace it as well as the coolant, serpentine belt and 160 degree thermostat.

Thanks,

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
Anyone know the part number for the o-ring that seals the coolant drain plug on the bottom of the engine?

My water pump is failing so I'm gathering all the parts to replace it as well as the coolant, serpentine belt and 160 degree thermostat.

Thanks,

ddb

Part #900-123-144-30, about 23 cents...............
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Thanks!

JFP,

Perfect timing - thank you very much!

I ordered all the parts I thought I needed from Sunset on Monday but didn't realize at the time I needed the o-ring. Yesterday I was close to my local dealer and stopped by to pick up or order the o-ring. The parts manager who is normally very knowledgeable didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I asked him what did the service guys do when they drained the coolant and he said the coolant was lifetime so they didn't drain it. At that point I told him I would try and find the part number and come back.

This morning I started draining the coolant and was on my way back to the dealership with the drain plug when I received your response on my Blackberry. The parts guy this morning who is also very knowledgeable looked puzzled too when I asked for the o-ring. So I just gave him the part number. BTW, either the old o-ring was left off by the previous owner or it is still in the opening because I have yet to find it. My drain plug looked like crap so I ordered a new one as well for (900-219-007-02) $2.47 and they charged 24 cents for the o-ring.

Although I knew Sunset would have the best prices on the parts I needed I asked the local dealer for a quote before I ordered from Sunset for comparison.

Water pump - local retail $329.64 - my cost $263.71 - Sunset $197.12
Serpentine belt - local retail $ 42.22 - my cost $36.18 - Sunset $26.00
Water pump gasket - local retail $9.48 - my cost $7.58 - Sunset $5.45
Coolant - local retail $32.71 - my cost $27.17 - Sunset $ 21.07
Oil filter - local retail $24.48 - my cost $19.50 - Sunset $13.43
Oil crush filter - local retail (I didn't ask) - Sunset $0.48

I also bought the updated coolant cap this morning locally. Part number 996-106-447-03. Local retail $21.05 - my cost $13.91.

Thanks again JFP,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #4

If you haven't buttoned up the car yet, put a dab of anti seize on the treads of the coolant drain plug; keeps it from getting nasty over time and makes it easier to remove in the future.........

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote