Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #1

Extended Service Plan

I purchased a 2001 Boxster S with 15,000 miles on it several weeks ago from a used car dealer. The car was placed in service in June 2001 acording to the stamp in the warrenty book. I visited my local Porsche dealer last week to look into purchasing an extended warrenty. They told me that the service date did not matter. The warrenty will be up on 2/28/05 according to their computer. Anyway I told them that I was interested in purchasing an extended warrenty. They told me that since I didn't purchase the car from them and they did not know the car they would not sell me the product. I then asked them to price an upgrade and they said that they would call me with a quote. They never called. Fortunatly I have a good car with no problems that I am aware of as it was inspected buy another Porsche dealer before the purchase and they said it was OK. Is this behavior standard in the industry. I am not motivated to shop my next car from their dealership. Should I shop an extended warrenty from another vender or should I forget about it.

Don

Dons986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 05:30 AM   #2

The practice varies widely depending on Porsche dealer. I would try at least one other dealer, perhaps the one that inspected the car.

And double check the issue of when the warranty exprires. It should be four years from in service date.

Good luck.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #3

someone here recomended warrantydirect.com for an extended service contract but my 2000 was a year out of warranty when I bought it and they will not cover cars that are out of warranty for that long. I went with CWS which is associated with CARFAX and Fidelity INvestments. I purchased bumper to bumper coverage for $2100 (6 years). I have to conduct all regular matintenance as scheduled to be able to be reimbursed for an unexepected repair. Normal wear and tear items such as brake rotors, clutch, flywheel are also covered up to 50,000 miles. Not covered are paint, glass, seating surfaces, tires,fluid changes and regular maintnance.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-22-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #4

I could not find CWS. Do you have a link that you can post.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:50 AM   #5

I went with Warranty Direct as they seemed to have the best combo of coverage and price. Move quickly - they will cover cars that are out of the factory warranty but you will need to have it checked out by an authorized shop and possibly make repairs. My '01 cost about $2200 for top of the line coverage for an extra 4 years or up to 100k miles, including emmisions system protection.
BuffaloBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #6

www.centurywarranty.com

My Boxster was out of warranty but only had 10,000 miles so I guess I got a really low price. The rep said well maintained 2000 and above Boxsters are very reliable. Regualr scheduled maintenance is not covered under warranty but still required for reimbursement of future claims. The maintenance can be done at any ASE certified garage, which includes most oil change places. THe rep said if an uexpected problem was determined by service center to have occured because of lack of maintenace the claim will be denied.
I asked for a list of items that are not covered under their normal wear and tear 50,000 mile coverage. This is seperate from the "no matter what happens" covered parts like the transmission and engine. I'll post it once they send it over.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:40 PM   #7

Warrenty Direct quoted me about $2100 with $100 deductable for 4 years and 60,000 miles. Should I go for it?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #8

That's the quote I got for 6 years and 70,000 miles.
Call CWS and get a quote and then see if Warranty Direct will match it.
How long do you plan to keep the car?
By the way, the warranty is transferable in case you sell the car, you have 30 days to do it after you transfer ownership. A nice selling point.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #9

The rep told me that the price goes up for every 3,000 miles that are on the car. Maby that was part of the difference. They would not quote me a 6 year policy at all. How long ago did you buy the warrenty? I'm not sure how long I will keep the car. It is not my daily driver. It is my weekend toy. If it becomes a pain for any reason then I will sell it.

Last edited by Dons986; 02-23-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:02 PM   #10

I bought the warranty last month. Its a daily driver for me. But my daily drive is five minutes to a train station. But on th weekends I put at least 100 miles on the Boxster. I also plan on attending driving schools and track instruction.
Insurance is so expensive here in NJ that holding onto a car for too long becomes a losing proposition so I plan on selling the Boxster for a 911 (Targa) at some point. Or maybe I'll keep it and get a CayenneS Two Porsches in my garage, cool.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I bought the warranty last month. Its a daily driver for me. But my daily drive is five minutes to a train station. But on th weekends I put at least 100 miles on the Boxster. I also plan on attending driving schools and track instruction.
Insurance is so expensive here in NJ that holding onto a car for too long becomes a losing proposition so I plan on selling the Boxster for a 911 (Targa) at some point. Or maybe I'll keep it and get a CayenneS Two Porsches in my garage, cool.

Heard GEICO is available in NJ now. Are there rates any better than the going rate?

http://www.yellowpimp.org/ferrari.jpg
jwocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloBoxster
I went with Warranty Direct as they seemed to have the best combo of coverage and price. Move quickly - they will cover cars that are out of the factory warranty but you will need to have it checked out by an authorized shop and possibly make repairs. My '01 cost about $2200 for top of the line coverage for an extra 4 years or up to 100k miles, including emmisions system protection.
Did you have to do anything special to get this price? I am looking for the same warranty and was quoted quite a bit more from Warranty Direct. Thanks!
NoElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:41 AM   #13

What is your deductable with that $2200 quote?