Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

Coolant tank Removal

Hi

could anyone tell me how to remove the coolant tank from the firewall on 2002 boxster S. is there any diagram i can follow
Cheers

sashanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #2

You're in for one hell of a time. It has to be done from underneath the car and it's pretty much impossible. Not sure how else to say it. Why do you need to remove it? I thought I needed to remove mine because it had a leak, but I was able to buy some JB Waterweld and it worked like a charm over the hole which I could feel underneath.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #3

Removal and replacement if a simple, if a bit time consuming DIY project. Most of the work is done from above thru the open engine cover, but some find it easier to get at some of the hose clamps from below. Pretty much a preference thing. In any case, there a several online write ups as this is a common repair, so do a quick search.........

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/tech9-03-2003.htm
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:22 AM   #4

Garage
I asked my brother to help me. He has long skinny arms with long fingers. Kinda like ET. With out those you in for the must frustrating repair on your box Thats my opinion atleast
2011 Mercedes Benz GLK350 - Gunmetal Grey
ramo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bermuditis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
You're in for one hell of a time. It has to be done from underneath the car and it's pretty much impossible. Not sure how else to say it. Why do you need to remove it? I thought I needed to remove mine because it had a leak, but I was able to buy some JB Waterweld and it worked like a charm over the hole which I could feel underneath.
Great advice. After changing water pump, cap and thermo, I still had a leak. Sure enough streaming out the bottom of the tank. Just tried the ww, hope it works. Thanks for posting that. Will use till I can order a tank.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

If you've verified that it's the tank and not the equally problematic cap (make sure you have the latest version), this post might be helpful:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5563&highlight=coolant+tank+replacement

And invest in a Bentley manual. It's the best $63 you'll spend on your car. This price is the best you're going to find for a new one:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=spoffers&do=amazon

Last edited by gschotland; 03-24-2010 at 06:44 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Don't know if these will help, but I picked these pics up a while back...helps visualize what the tank looks like when unburied.

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote