Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #1

top stuck up

Ok I have a hard top on my 2000 S and it is almost always on the car. I have recently been removing it to please my better half. The top started acting up and working sporeaticly . Clicking the button and it would work compleatly randomly. It was pissing me off and I would get the top down again and forget about it because hey the hard tops on. Well until today we went into a store and I put the top up this time no luck she just stays up. I tested the micro switch at the latch and by the radio in the dash both seem to be working ok. I also own a Bentley manual its great if its stuck open it has the procedure to close the top but not vice versa. I checked the fuses they are fine. In the morning I'm checking the relay but I have a feeling it to will check out. I have yet to see a relay work some of the time they seem to be broken or not in my experiences. So help how do I at least get the top back down because I'm ready to get the old DeWalt sawzall out! Thanks :ah:

(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #2
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
You say the latch microswitch works, so I assume the windows drop when you open the latch, right? If so, and then the top just doesn't go down when you push the button to put it down, maybe the microswitch at the handbrake (under the center console) isn't working. You normally have to pull the handbrake up to activate the switch before the depressing the button will allow the top to move. Try putting the handbrake up and down a few times and see if that works. If it's the microswitch there, you'll have to pull your center console off to replace that switch.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #3

no that doesnt seem to be the problem ether. As the dash light comes on when hand brake is pulled. This is so far a stumper. I really want to check the power to the motor or transmision for the top, but let me tell you when the top is up good luck getting to the stuff. There just has to be a way to get the rear deck lid for the top to come up manually. I cant be the only person with this problem ever???
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #4

There are also microswitches at the 'B' pillar and at the motor in the rear, and these have no indicator lights.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

Thanks Lil B. It seems from the bently that up through 99' there is one in the B pillar. Anyway crisis adverted for now I found an old thread where someone wiggled the relay and it worked fine. I tried it and the HT is back in place. Thanks again 986 F.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn box s
..I found an old thread where someone wiggled the relay and it worked fine. I tried it and the HT is back in place. Thanks again 986 F.
It's warm out...why do you have the hard top on. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote