Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,814
Porsche approved motor oils

I have been trying to find the most current Porsche approved motor oils. I found one dated Dec 21, 2007 on the Pelican Parts website (see http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=393996 ).

Is there a more recent one? If so, does somebody have a link to the site that has it?

Thanks.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 144
That's a good enough list for you to make a decision on an oil if your criteria is to only use approved oils.

Of the approved oils, our recommendation is for Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40. It carries an API SL rating and has more anti-wear additives and improved HTHS film strength than M1.
__________________
Charles Navarro
President, LN Engineering and Bilt Racing Service
http://www.LNengineering.com
Home of Nickies, IMS Retrofit, and IMS Solution
cnavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
ddb
www.klisstle.com
 
ddb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 926
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
if your criteria is to only use approved oils.

Charles,

What would you recommend that isn't on the official approved list and how does it compare to the Motul?


Thanks,

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
That's a good enough list for you to make a decision on an oil if your criteria is to only use approved oils.

Of the approved oils, our recommendation is for Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40. It carries an API SL rating and has more anti-wear additives and improved HTHS film strength than M1.
I'd say that's probably the one I'll choose.

To continue the discussion, however: If one ignores the Porsche approved oils list, would your recommendation differ?

Is M1 no longer "approved" by Porsche?
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavarro
That's a good enough list for you to make a decision on an oil if your criteria is to only use approved oils.

Of the approved oils, our recommendation is for Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40. It carries an API SL rating and has more anti-wear additives and improved HTHS film strength than M1.
+1, Charles, what do you and Jake recommend outside of what's on that list? How does Royal Purple or Redline stack up? I'm thinking of switching from M1, but I'm a bit apprehensive. Are these aftermarket oils really going to make a significant difference in wear ect over M1? I know this topic has been talked about to death on here, but I want your advice.
__________________
'03 3.2L GuardsRed/Blk/Blk---6Spd
Options: Litronics, 18" Carrera lights, Bose sound, Painted to match roll bars.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...Mautocross.jpg

Last edited by Adam; 06-13-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
M1 is on the Porsche list in both 5W and 0W-40. And I think at least one 50. Good luck trying to find 5W-40 in the US.

And the Motul X-Cess's SL rating is as low as you would want to go.

Of the not-recommended oils, I bought Motul 300V from Charles after much research and careful consideration. Yes, it is very expensive.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Surf City, NC
Posts: 1,079
I meant to add that the TSB with approved oils is available to Contributing Members at RennTech. And Mike Focke had it posted somewhere, I think. Maybe his site or Babblers.
__________________
Mike
04 Boxster S - Basalt/Savanna, 6sp, Carrera lites, hardtop
70 914-6 - Black over tan, original/stock
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 1,675
Neither Charles or Jake are going to recommend an oil outright, but if you "read between" the lines, you'll learn what not to put in your car (read M1).

I usually run Royal Purple 10W40, but may try Motul or Redline next time around?

If my TWC burns up, I guess I'll figure it out (car just reached 16k miles).
__________________
JGM
2002 Boxster S
1973 911 Green FrankenMeanie
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sanford NC
Posts: 2,441
A 2008 version is in the wild...

Though not in the TSB format. Here .
mikefocke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I may try the Motul next time. About the same price as the Red Line 5W40 that I have been using the past 3 years.

http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul-8100-5w40-xcess-synthetic-oil-502-505-ll98-2293-porsche-105-p-15027.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I may try the Motul next time. About the same price as the Red Line 5W40 that I have been using the past 3 years.

http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul-8100-5w40-xcess-synthetic-oil-502-505-ll98-2293-porsche-105-p-15027.html
That's interesting, as I've been watching your posts to gain any insight of how RedLine is working out for you since I've been using the Motul 8100 Excess!

BTW, I noticed that the Motul 8100 Excess doesn't look like it was going to be renewed (expired 10-23-2008) under the last Approved Oil List (9-25-2008) -- could of been an annotation oversight by Porsche.

Attached my current UOA history up to the last oil change. If anyone wants the raw data Excel spreadsheet to track your own UOAs, PM me your email.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Home
Posts: 14
Last year I put Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in my '02. I'm pretty sure it used to be an approved oil, but now I see that most 5W-50s are off the list. Is this because they don't approve seasonal oils any more based on the text in the document(being so thick I guess)

Should I not use 5W-50 any more? It used to be okay and now it's dangerous? I don't understand how these approvals can change year to year. Is it okay to drive it in hotter weather only(I don't drive in the winter months anyway).
brewer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer69
Last year I put Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in my '02. I'm pretty sure it used to be an approved oil, but now I see that most 5W-50s are off the list. Is this because they don't approve seasonal oils any more based on the text in the document(being so thick I guess)

Should I not use 5W-50 any more? It used to be okay and now it's dangerous? I don't understand how these approvals can change year to year. Is it okay to drive it in hotter weather only(I don't drive in the winter months anyway).
The only Porsche approve 5W50 is Mobil 1. Very hard to find in the USA. Canada has it at Wal-Mart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #14
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
That's interesting, as I've been watching your posts to gain any insight of how RedLine is working out for you since I've been using the Motul 8100 Excess!

BTW, I noticed that the Motul 8100 Excess doesn't look like it was going to be renewed (expired 10-23-2008) under the last Approved Oil List (9-25-2008) -- could of been an annotation oversight by Porsche.

Attached my current UOA history up to the last oil change. If anyone wants the raw data Excel spreadsheet to track your own UOAs, PM me your email.

Regards,
paul...
Paul, I still like the Red Line very much. Just willing to try other oils that appear better than Mobil 1. Plus, the Motul is on the "list".

I don't know or care what the "best" oil is. I just want something that is better than Mobil 1.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Paul, I still like the Red Line very much. Just willing to try other oils that appear better than Mobil 1. Plus, the Motul is on the "list".

I don't know or care what the "best" oil is. I just want something that is better than Mobil 1.
I get less startup valve train noise with Motul 8100 Excess vs M1 0W-40 in an MB E320 so that's why I went with Motul. How's RedLine on this issue? With their high percentage of ester basestock, the noise (I assume) would be less. I was looking at RLI's HOBS oils but they don't make the HTHS reqt of Porsche (>= 3.5 cP).

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #16
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv
I get less startup valve train noise with Motul 8100 Excess vs M1 0W-40 in an MB E320 so that's why I went with Motul. How's RedLine on this issue? With their high percentage of ester basestock, the noise (I assume) would be less. I was looking at RLI's HOBS oils but they don't make the HTHS reqt of Porsche (>= 3.5 cP).

Regards,
paul...
My car sounds the same on start-up; after +5 months of winter storage, or a cold start-up in March or July, or hot start-up after a long drive. No valve train noise.

I attribute this to the Red Line and a diligent & easy winter hibernation routine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I may try the Motul next time. About the same price as the Red Line 5W40 that I have been using the past 3 years.

http://shop.edoperformance.com/motul-8100-5w40-xcess-synthetic-oil-502-505-ll98-2293-porsche-105-p-15027.html
Sheesh, makes Royal Purple look like a bargain.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:44 AM   #18
bmussatti
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Sheesh, makes Royal Purple look like a bargain.
Really? I thought RP was about $9 a quart too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #19
Porscheectomy
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Seattle Area
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Really? I thought RP was about $9 a quart too.
If you buy the 20 quart pail, it's about $7.15 per quart.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
My car sounds the same on start-up; after +5 months of winter storage, or a cold start-up in March or July, or hot start-up after a long drive. No valve train noise.

I attribute this to the Red Line and a diligent & easy winter hibernation routine.
Thx, I appreciate the info.

Regards,
paul...

paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page