Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #1

hello all

hi i am a new member that has purchaced a boxster from auction the car is salvage titled with 81k on the clock, its a 2000 with minor fire damage,yes i said fire damage but the damage was sustained because the car was parked next to a vehicle or something that was on fire, the paint on the drivers door a is scorched the mirror on that door along with the top are melted and thats the major extent of the damage, i have had to replace the rods for the top to operate along with a cable, all thats left to do before body work is a control arm for a rear tire and the lever arms to be replaced for the clam shell but all in all i have a new toy and a project vehicle to work on and heres a pic of the damage

Last edited by dirtyg; 05-31-2009 at 05:54 PM.
dirtyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyg
hi i am a new member that has purchaced a boxster from auction the car is salvage titled with 81k on the clock, its a 2000 with minor fire damage,yes i said fire damage but the damage was sustained because the car was parked next to a vehicle or something that was on fire, the paint on the drivers door a is scorched the mirror on that door along with the top are melted and thats the major extent of the damage, i have had to replace the rods for the top to operate along with a cable, all thats left to do before body work is a control arm for a rear tire and the lever arms to be replaced for the clam shell but all in all i have a new toy and a project vehicle to work on and heres a pic of the damage

What did you pay for it.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #3

5k only needs some tlc
Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #4

Welcome.

Check the door skin. While it may look OK at first glance, the heat may have warped the metal. May need a new door or door skin.

Good luck and have fun with your purchase.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:05 AM   #5

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyg
I actually remember seeing that car on COPART's auction block in late January/early February.

Good luck with fixing it up.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #7

Welcome and Good Luck to you our new friend.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #8

thanks all for the welcome the door skin is supprisingly straight just minus the paint and i won it in april but im waiting on the title work to be done so it can be shipped here to the bahamas, there litiraly isnt much that needs to be done for the top the cable and rods were replace i just need to put on the new top and instal the clamshell lever arms and that will be done, if any one here has bought a top for there car recently with glass in it i would love suggestions on who to buy that from i dont want to have to deal with glass seperating or droping out or any thing like that, besides the top a lower control arm needs to be replaced but i need to get the wheel off some one took the wheel lock key out of the car so i need to take all of them off now but all in all i am so far happy with the car since all that i need to do are very minor things compared to some of the cars i have seen sold thru there.

Last edited by dirtyg; 06-01-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #9

Keep accurate track of how much you spend to repair it. I'd love to see how much you save.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote