Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #1

Seen the latest Car and Driver comparison?

Boxster S vs Audi TTS vs Corvette vs newZ4

http://www.caranddriver.com/blog/2009/05/2009-porsche-boxster-s-vs-bmw-z4.html

Number one=Boxster

Boxster (PDK) tied Vette for 0-60 in 4.3 seconds

I was actually impressed with Audi skidpad performance. when the TTRS gets here, it's gonna be quite a machine.

Last edited by CRCGuy; 05-30-2009 at 03:48 AM. Reason: added link to article
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #2

They had it pegged about the outrageous price tag of add ons. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:05 AM   #3

Eighty Grand????????????????????????

Ouch.

I would have to go with a Corvette coupe with a six speed manual. I think you can get those in the high forties around here.

I LOVE the box but holy cow. How much does the Cayman S sell for.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:14 AM   #4

I agree with Rich. I love my Boxster but if my driveway wasn't so steep to enter I would have a vette with the 6 speed manual.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:48 AM   #5

Really? You'd want to drive a car with seats as mushy as your grandmother's couch and a steering wheel that looks like it came out of a cavalier?

I drove one last year---just oozes cheap. the only thing it has going for it is power and you might say handling, but debatable because it becomes a handful at the limit. I think I'll go for an $80k Boxster S and enjoy every second of it 'til the day they put me 6 feet underground with no regrets.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Porsche is brilliant at making money from options. That's why they're the most profitable car company in the world.

If you want the ventilated seats (nice in a roadster with leather in the summer) you also have to buy climate control AND heated seats. So you're $500 option costs you $1500.

If you want to add an Ipod connection it's--only $95. But if you chose the PCM with Navi, that ipod connection jumps to $440 !

Want a 4.3 second 0-60? You'll need PDK ($3.5k) + Sport Chrono Package ($1k).

And the best---sports exhaust is $2500 just for the sound (no claims on increased power).

It adds up so fast.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

i've driven several Vettes... all of them felt "cheap" and crappy. Fast yes, but "nice" NO way.

i've n ever driven a C6 though...only C5 variants. every C5 I was in felt like a tractor that was built by mattell that went really fast and was really loud.

no thanks.

oh, and buying a new Boxster S for $76k, no thanks for that either.

I'd rather buy a barely used 987 S for probably $30k..maybe splurege and get one for $35k and then save all my money and get 90% of the power/fun/handling...

i can't see paying that kind of premium for a "new" boxster when the used ones are SO much cheaper and probalby every bit as good.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
i've driven several Vettes... all of them felt "cheap" and crappy. Fast yes, but "nice" NO way.

i've n ever driven a C6 though...only C5 variants. every C5 I was in felt like a tractor that was built by mattell that went really fast and was really loud.

no thanks.

oh, and buying a new Boxster S for $76k, no thanks for that either.

I'd rather buy a barely used 987 S for probably $30k..maybe splurege and get one for $35k and then save all my money and get 90% of the power/fun/handling...

i can't see paying that kind of premium for a "new" boxster when the used ones are SO much cheaper and probalby every bit as good.
The C6 is like another car vs the C5. No comparison. i am not saying they hit Porsche fit and finish but it is close IMO.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 PM   #9

Candidly, I prefer the earlier Boxes, which could be had for a reasonable price if you stayed sane. If they were more reliable, I would have a $15K used Box to play with. Great car at a very good price.

Alas, the price of a engine is way way crazy.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #10

my boxster is a 2000 2.7 5 speed. lots of options. M030 - love it! 18" wheels. Full leather, heated seats.... it's old, it's not an S - but it's fast enough, it corners insanely, and I bought it for $13k.

i've only got 75k miles on it - i drive it on weekends and soemtimes to work. i've only had it 6 months, and still havne't taken it to a track - but that is high on my list of things to do...

for what i paid for this car, and how good it looks, and how much fun it is to drive - I can't imagine spending $76k+ on a new one. 300hp or not.

i din't buy this box to drag people, i bought it to tear up twisty roads, and for what I paid - i think MY used 986 is a FAR bette buy than that $$$$ new one!!!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:57 PM   #11

I always wanted that yellow convertible vette but I have really soured on them. I just sat in a new C6 at the dealer and just thought it was a god awful interior. It's a shame but it does deserve last place.

I liked the original hard top TT. The convertible never looked right, now it looks like a 350 z. The BMW is yuck but the interior is nice.

And the Box....I'm impressed with the 0-60, I can't believe it's running with the vettes now. I wish I could justify droping 60 G's on one right now. Could I have 2 boxsters? Or would that be too much of a good thing...
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:42 PM   #12

Wow. If you were impressed with Car and Driver 0-60 numbers, wait til you read the Road and Track comparison.

They got 4.1 seconds!!!!!!! They even note that this is the current value for Carerra S cab.

Surely Porsche was aware of this and posted way too conservative numbers on the website. that just tells you that the next 911 is going to be sub 4 (probably pushing over the 400hp mark). they can't let the Boxster scoop big brother.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 AM   #13

I spec'ed a Cayman the other day

and the one I wanted was $96k list. I didn't go wild with special paint or interior goodies either so I know I could have gotten the number into 6 figures. But I didn't win the lottery so that car is still available for you to order.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 AM   #14

It's only 0-60 time that was impressive, once it goes into 3rd the corvette will still pull ahead.

Don't forget mid-engine cars always have better rear traction going from stand still and PDK just eliminates the human error factor.

Doesn't the new corvette also have launch control? Or is that just available on the ZR1?

Last edited by ekam; 06-01-2009 at 04:21 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Candidly, I prefer the earlier Boxes, which could be had for a reasonable price if you stayed sane. If they were more reliable, I would have a $15K used Box to play with. Great car at a very good price. Alas, the price of a engine is way way crazy.
.... I had the same opinion... so I bought one.

Should the motor blow again, I'm gonna save up and put the biggest bore Raby rebuild in there and then I'll surely get a nice article written up about the car in Car and Driver. I'll hold out for a video too!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 06-01-2009 at 06:36 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #16

ah right Car and Driver.... they did a Bentley whatever, Z4 (retractable hardtop), Mini CooperS, BoxsterS review.

4.1 0-60 on the PDK BoxsterS must be a screamer.
That's .2 short of super car territory and equal to the legendary 959.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #17

4.1 is indeed impressive.

I just can't imagine owning a Porsche with an automatic in it. Takes the fun out of driving, and frankly, automatics are scary at the track. If it decides to shift at the wrong split second during hard cornering because you're near the redline, you're gonna spin out. Happens all the time at DE events I've been to with guys with tip trannies.

Of course, the PDK may be much better. I've never driven one of those on a track.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
4.1 is indeed impressive.

I just can't imagine owning a Porsche with an automatic in it. Takes the fun out of driving, and frankly, automatics are scary at the track. If it decides to shift at the wrong split second during hard cornering because you're near the redline, you're gonna spin out. Happens all the time at DE events I've been to with guys with tip trannies.

Of course, the PDK may be much better. I've never driven one of those on a track.

I'd probably get a PDK if it had real paddle shifters. I'm sure it's faster on the track than a manual. The old torque converter slushboxes don't seem to hold a candle to PDK. Even a good driver with a manual is slower than PDK. I would at least like to try it out. Randall I think the PDK will hold the gear in manual mode and bounce off the limiter just like a stick so it gives the driver more control than the old tiptronic.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #19

I just test drove a Boxster s with PDK. Believe me, this is unlike any automanual you've ever experienced. the shifts are so rapid there is no loss of momentum between gear changes (up or down)--and I do mean none. This must explain the surprisingly fast 0-60 times of 4.1sec. If you had ear plugs in you would swear it had a CVT transmission---you really can't feel the gear changes. On down shifting it revmatches so again, no change in momentum. During cornering I had no reason to use manual mode--the tranny picked the right gear always even after a hard braking before turn-in..I don't know how it does it. (you don't want to use the buttons anyway as they are useless while turning the wheel).
The car didn't have Sport Chrono which supposedly does an even better job on Sport mode--I can't see how it could much better. My wife has a MY08 GTI with DSG which I first thought was impressive. PDK makes it feel like an old slushbox. I do love manual trannies for the fun factor, but I was sold on PDK. Since the gear selection and power delivery was perfect, I could have more fun keeping my hands on the wheel and carving up corners. I plan to order one near the end of the year when my dealer gives me his latest allocation status. And I can't wait to hear how it does in autocrossing (which I don't do, but just curious).

The only apprehension I have is the lack history with this tranny. I can just see the forums in 6 months talking about some catostrophic issue with PDK that Porsche is fixing for next model year or whatever. But then, life is short...

Last edited by CRCGuy; 06-06-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #20

Doesn't PDK use the bizzarely anti-intuitive same side forward and back shifting vs the customary left and right side paddle conifg? Jack Villeneuve had that weird one hand set up on his BAR F1 car. Mayne he's on the Porsche slush box development team! LOL

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote