Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #1

Unhappy Rear plastic window

I have a 1997 Boxster with roughly 20k on it. Like a total dumb ass, I put the top down on the first 50+ degree day we had up here in Minnesota in roughly 4 months. I was smart enough to make sure the window did not kink up mid way through the "stowing process" and thought all was good.

However, much to my surprise, I have these small "stars" in the window that were most likely caused by the folding process when putting the top down.

I have tried carefully heating the area with a hair dryer but that is not working and I hate to heat it up too much or I may melt a hole in it and have a huge problem. I'd think there is a way to smooth out this area once again.

Anyone have suggestions on how to remedy this problem without replacement of the clear plastic? The "stars" are very minor but are still a source of annoyance.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading this.

Michael Cassola

Old 02-16-2005, 05:50 PM   #2

Angry

I would try the Porsche plastic cleaner but this does not sound good. A new window is about $300.

Ouch.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #3

My 97 window is all scratched up too. Don't replace just the window as you can get a replacement top for less than $400 on Ebay.

Since you live in the frozen north, you won't be using the car much in winter anyway, so few people will ever see those "stars" in your back window. Just keep the top down at all times like I do down here in Houston, or what we call "Sauna City".

Went to college in St. Paul...I pity anyone who lives in MN in the winter. Summers are gorgeous and the best Boxster weather on the planet, but the other ten months out of the year are brutal!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #4

Wait for a strong baking sunny day in summer and have your top up all day. It gets hot enough under that little plastic window to liquify hot melt glue (yes, I know this for a fact ) so you may just have your stars disappear with no effort.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:16 AM   #5

50 degrees isn't that cold, while I was in a covered parking garage My seat belt got stuck last month and I slightly opened the top to fiddle with the seat belt tower. I then realized it was 42 degrees, it felt more like 55. I got some small dents in there but they are gone now.
THe "don't lower at this temp." is below 50 degrees.
The plastic dents are going to be there a while but if you park the car outside facing the sun for a few days the plastic will stretch again. Its not something you should try and force. The natural plastic tension will pull the plastic flat eventually.
And use Plexus ont the plastic both inside and outside. weekly use will keep it crystal clear.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #6

I don't know how to get rid of the stars, but it's wise to keep the plastic clean.A dirty window is affected by sun adversely. Use plexus 2 or 3 time a season, this may even get rid of some of the scratchs. Mask off the canvas before applying the plexus (10 or 12 bucks at Porsche dealer) I hope you are not too large when it comes time to do the inside.

graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote