Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Paint Roll Bar - need to remove it?

I've been thinking of painting my roll bar. I did my own bumperettes and they turned out nice.

I'm wondering - is it possible to paint the rollbar and NOT remove it - just mask off everything, tarp the car - and paint - or would I be crazy to try that and would I need to take it out??

from my brief search online - it looks like taking it out is a PITA - and the instructions I could find - it looks over my head.

Has anyone painted their own rollbar and NOT removed it? any advice, suggestions, DIY instructions??

thanks.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
bmussatti

This has been covered a few times before, so check old posts too.

Is your car a 986 or 987?

I can give you a little advice. Mine was done by the dealership, due to the fact that Porsche "forgot" to do this at the factory on my custom order.

1) The top also has to come off, partially. To get the roll bar out.

2) Make sure the roll bar if properly prep'e prior to painting. Including primer.

3) Don't put the windscreen inserts (black parts in the hoops) back in for several weeks (+4) until the paint is fully cured.

ToolPants once posted pictures on how to remove the "leather" parts (and tool used) from the roll bar.

Can you get it powdercoated vs painting? A quality job will be about $1,200 from what I have seen. The factory option was about $535 IIRC. Aftermarket is never cheap on these cars.

Good luck. Post pictures when completed. It's a great look.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #3

i don't think I would attempt to take it out on my own. I honestly think it's over my head technically. No way I would pay a shop to do this professionally as the cost outweighs the benefit to me.

Basically - if it would really be possible to mask off the area and do it myself - with the paintscratch kit - I would try it. I did my own bumperettes and they turned out nice. I don't see why the roll bar would be any harder. there really isn't that much surface area to the rollbar - it's mostly the backside of the bar, and the part that runs along the lower portion of the windscreen....

it would obviously be easier to paint if it was out of the car - but getting it out might be more hassle that it's worth.

I figured if someone here had done it - and was able to get a good result WITHOUT removing it - it would give me some confidence that it can be done with good results.

I'm not hell bent on getting the rollbar painted - but if it's something I could do myself - I'd give it a try. i was hoping others had tried it with good results - and did it w/out taking the bar off.

i wonder if that tool is easy to get/use and once you separate the metal part of the bar from the soft stuff on the cockpit side - does it snap right back together - or is it hard to put back?
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

check the threads on installing the windscreen fasteners

I beleive you need to take off the vinyl portion of the roll bar to install the fastener kit for a windscreen - so the DIY threads will show you how to take it off.
urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #5

Go for it!

Mask everything in sight... twice!

Then take a slow, purposeful approach. It's doable.

For me, the time needed to mask everything (including the dash and windscreen - you'd be surprised how far overspray can carry), far outweighs simply removing the entire rollbar.

Then again, my rollbar was factory painted on delivery...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote