Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Bumper Suggestion?

Hi Everybody,

I am entertaining the idea of purchasing a new bumper for my 03 S and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I have been shopping around on nrauto and precisionporsche and it looks like the 997 gt3, gt2, and turbo looks are whats available. I am looking for something to update the boxster and make it look a tad more aggressive without departing too far away from the stock look. The 997 GT3 and GT2 bumpers are a bit too aggressive for my taste, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or websites I could turn to for other options. Also looking into sideskirts, so any suggestions there would also be appreciated. Anyone seen or know of anyone who purchased the CTR Turbo Style Bumper from Xtrememotorcars on ebay? I would include the link but am having a time doing it.
Thanks for your time,
Greg

BeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 AM   #2

I have the CTR bumper from xtreme, they were very easy to deal with and I was please with the quality and fit of my bumper

Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #3

CTR Bumper

Wingnut2u,

Thanks for the reply and the pictures. That bumper looks awesome! Do you have any other pictures? Say, for instance, from the side? When I was looking at the pictures on ebay I thought I saw the front hood latch exposed even with the bumper installed. Do you find this to be the case?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #4

here a couple more pics
Old 04-14-2009, 09:20 PM   #5

What about this bumper from GT Motorsports?
http://gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Street&page=Front+Bumper

Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #6

Don't forget the original aerokit II (GT3) bumper. It's an OEM part so there won't be any fitting issues.

Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

i like that aero kit one. if you add that along with those side skirts - it looks VERY nice and it still has an OEM look.

the other ones, further up in the thread - look more aggressive - maybe a bit "too" aggressive for my taste. some things look good on a 911 that (to me) don't look good on the Boxster.

but beauty is in the eye of the beholder - depends on what you want.

why are you changing the bumper - b/c it's full of rock chips, dents, is damaged, or is it fine and you just want a "new look"? if you want a new look - then you might WANT the more "aggressive' bumpers as they definitely look "modified". even car guys that don't knwo anythign about Porsches will probably know those GT3/etc style bumpers are NOT stock and you upgraded. the aero one looks stock - it's just different than what you have.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #8

I really like this CTR bumper. Does it actually say Caracter on the bottom left as this is a knock off right? Nice ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut2u

here a couple more pics

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareair
I like that bumper look too, but look at the fit of it... not very clean. Has spaces on left and right side at the leading edge of the hood. Assuming that is because it is made of FRP, and not Polyeurethane.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 04-15-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
I really like this CTR bumper. Does it actually say Caracter on the bottom left as this is a knock off right? Nice ride!
yes it does say Caractere and it is actually on the bottom right, it is identical to the original at a fraction of the cost
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #11

How about the TechArt style from Precision Porsche
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #12

Avoid GT Motorsports products. I've not been happy with the side skirts or the speedster humps. Fit, finish, and overall quality was sub-par.

I love that xtreme bumper. Is it poly or FRP?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #13

I do like the Aerokit II look although I haven't found a place where I can get a pair of sideskirts and the GT3 bumper at a reasonable price. Any suggestions? BTW I do not mind getting a knock off so as to avoid spending for 4 G's for the OEM AeroKit.

Greg
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #14

Be cautious when buying copies of body kits. I have a friend who is an importer of auto parts, most of these copies are made in the same place(country)- they are often repackaged here in the USA(mostly in Ca.) and given different brands. Most of these copies are made in China/Taiwan and imported here in the USA in huge quantities , some of them have good quality and fit, BUT others are just simply sub par....These copies are often sold under different brands (with different price ranges), if you go online and search, you will notice that these bumpers, skirts are the same, and they use the same marketing pictures- buying these replicas are "hit and miss".......... IMO, If you find a good priced Original aftermarket, OEM kit, that is your best route. I bought a Used Original body (Techart) kit for my 996, the fit is just perfect! Original kit for a fraction of the price.

Last edited by i_gemini2000; 04-16-2009 at 06:29 AM.
i_gemini2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_gemini2000
Be cautious when buying copies of body kits. I have a friend who is an importer of auto parts, most of these copies are made in the same place(country)- they are often repackaged here in the USA(mostly in Ca.) and given different brands. Most of these copies are made in China/Taiwan and imported here in the USA in huge quantities , some of them have good quality and fit, BUT others are just simply sub par....These copies are often sold under different brands (with different price ranges), if you go online and search, you will notice that these bumpers, skirts are the same, and they use the same marketing pictures- buying these replicas are "hit and miss".......... IMO, If you find a good priced Original aftermarket, OEM kit, that is your best route. I bought a Used Original body (Techart) kit for my 996, the fit is just perfect! Original kit for a fraction of the price.
Or to sum it up in a sentence - Buy cheap buy twice.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:17 AM   #16

Those are words to live by for sure! And it pertains to most everything.

My dad told me I would rarely be disappointed with the best if I waited and saved up enough to get it instead of settling for lesser quality or an inferior or unknown brand.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum
BTW I do not mind getting a knock off so as to avoid spending for 4 G's for the OEM AeroKit.

Greg
Why take the risk with aftermarket knock-offs when you can find clean used Original kits online. Try searching the For Sale Forum, i think there is a guy selling original Strosek body kit for a great price.
I got my used original Techart kit from a member of 6speedonline.
i_gemini2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #18

Aftermarket doesn't necessarily=cheap but I do agree that you have to be careful. My front bumper is aftermarket from xtreme, side skirts(techart) and rear apron (gemballa). They are all of good quality and fitment.

My motto is don't spend more than you "need" to. Sometimes it makes more sense to spend more for an original, sometimes it doesn't, you just need to be smart and informed. Most of all get exactly the look and style you want just don't buy a used body kit because it was a good deal. The look of my car might not be for everyone but I spent over a month looking at pictures and deciding on the exact look I wanted before I bought the parts. I couldn't be happier and that is what is important to me.

You have gotten advice here on 2 aftermarket companies
Xtreme Motorcars=good
GT Mottorsports=bad

Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:02 AM   #19

For what it's worth, I've seen the GT Motorsports side skirts, and the fit and finish is absolutely horrible. Friend of mine was going to install them on his Boxster, but after unboxing the skirts they needed so much finish bodywork that it would have been cheaper to go with the factory skirts that were paint ready.

Just looking at the pics of their GT3 MKII bumper they have in Boxster and pre-facelift 996 fitment looks equally bad.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #20

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Perhaps I will look into getting a used aerokit. I imagine they are pretty hard to come by. Anyone with any suggestions on where to look?

Greg