Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #1

How I fell in love with 356...

I went to RM Auction today and found 4 Beck 356. Those things are just GORGEOUS (pictures just couldn't do it justice). Silver with red interior - beautiful. It was my first time seeing one up close and I instantly fell in love.

There was one that's brand new with 200 miles on it. WOW. I just said to myself: I HAVE to have one before I die. Sorry but I don't feel those 550 spyders nor most of the the 911s. I sat in a 993 Targa when I was there as well and it just felt weird (windshield is flat to your face).

PS: I have plenty of time to save up as I'm still under 30!

Last edited by ekam; 04-04-2009 at 08:16 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #2

Garage
What did it sell for? I'm sure it was pretty reasonable, $10-$15K?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #3

The 356's ARE indeed beautiful cars, ( I do prefer the 550, but both are great) You don't have to save up if your into restoring. Here's a pic of my friend's 356, he restored it from the frame up, and did a wonderful job. Both my wife and I have driven it, and it preforms like a proper sportscar should...execpt the breaks!!! My wife blew right through a stop sign expecting the breaks to actually stop the car!! I think she would have been pretty bumbed if she wrecked it!!

941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
What did it sell for? I'm sure it was pretty reasonable, $10-$15K?
Well these are Beck Speedsters, which are $26k without an engine brand new.

There's nother one 2002 with 1700 miles that's asking for $45k Canadian on the dealer website, not sure which engine it has tho.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
and it preforms like a proper sportscar should...execpt the breaks!!! My wife blew right through a stop sign expecting the breaks to actually stop the car!! I think she would have been pretty bumbed if she wrecked it!!
With one build by Beck you can spec it to have rear disc as supposed to rear drums. I'd be much more comfortable at buying one build by Beck as they're quality builds done properly.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #6

Garage
$45 large for a fiberglass kit car on a VW bug pan? You can put one together yourself. Say four wheel disc brakes, Berg 5 speed, a killer 2180cc and the kit...$15-$18K tops.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Indeed the Becks are excellent cars. A friend has the 550 with the big VW engine and it's a blast!

The real appeal for me is that they're much more visceral than the Boxster. No DME, no ABS, no Airbags, no 5mph bumpers, and on and on...

That's what a sports car should be! It's not about numbers, 1/4 mile slips and such... it's much more about feeling fast (even if you're not)!

Unfortunately, Porsche, Govt's, and others have forgotten that.

I actually feel sorry for many of today's younger people that don't really get it... but think they do.

The best thing for them is to buy an MGB, Triumph, Healey, Alfa and so on. Then they may.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
$45 large for a fiberglass kit car on a VW bug pan? You can put one together yourself. Say four wheel disc brakes, Berg 5 speed, a killer 2180cc and the kit...$15-$18K tops.
Becks are completely built cars. Tube frame and such. They are not just a fiberglass kit car on a VW chassis. I have loved these for awhile also. If it about the speed, there are some VW engines that pit out a lot more HP than our Boxsters. I drove one once and it handled well but felt more like my 64B than it did my Boxster. If I wasn't so old I would be saving up for one now. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I actually feel sorry for many of today's younger people that don't really get it... but think they do.

The best thing for them is to buy an MGB, Triumph, Healey, Alfa and so on. Then they may.

Friend's got a Superformance Mk.III (stupid, I mean stupid fast car), although I have absolutely no chance to own one in Canada (they're no longer importable). I'll be happy to have own a Beck Speedster.

At 1600lbs, even with 150hp engine it literally equals to 300hp on a new 3000lb+ boxster!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
Becks are completely built cars. Tube frame and such. They are not just a fiberglass kit car on a VW chassis. I have loved these for awhile also. If it about the speed, there are some VW engines that pit out a lot more HP than our Boxsters. I drove one once and it handled well but felt more like my 64B than it did my Boxster. If I wasn't so old I would be saving up for one now. Ed

I've been a VW fan since 14 when I bought my first car, a '69 bug. After reading their website, http://www.beckspeedster.com/images/Speedster_PDF_Pack_08.pdf , these cars are just that, a fiberglass kit car on a VW pan. When you buy a rolling chassis($26,000 and no motor) they run standard ratio swing axles (pre '69) not IRS! If you want a freeway flier thats extra? That tells me the trans-axles are coming out of a salvage yard. $19,000 and I "The builder need only supply the engine of his choosing, a transaxle, minor suspension components, wheels, tires, fluids, lighting, and some hardware."? For $19,000?

You also say there are VW engines that put out more HP than our Boxsters? To do that, they're turbocharged full race engines pumped up to 2.8-3.2 liters, in a four cylinder format! BIG bucks. I've owned and still do have hopped up bugs. The turbos run HOT! And my latest 1776cc is the perfect streetable engine.

For the price, I'll stick with my VW's.

P.S. Quote Ekam, "At 1600lbs, even with 150hp engine it literally equals to 300hp on a new 3000lb+ boxster!"

True, until you put it into a wall. :ah:

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 04-05-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #11

Exclamation Porsche..."There is no substitute"

I've been playing with, restoring, racing, and having a blast with Porsches for over 25 years...some of them when I still had some money to play with. (I need a stimulis for a new Boxster).

Point is, however, Becks and every other plastic wannabe are just that. Cool to drive, cool to look at, affordable, and usually everything on them works, but to the purists they are like 4 wheeled, red headed step-children.

Case in point. I had a '56 356A coupe that I rebuilt, but not having the cash at the time for a real Porsche engine, I built a VW 1835cc race motor and put it in the tub and it ran like stink! Usually kept the lid down on the engine compartment at events, and while it still sounded pretty volksy no one ever cared.
I finally got a proper moter and sold the car to acquire a '57 356A Cabriolet.

Last year, at an annual multi marque, Concour D' Elegance car show, there were, of course, many various 356's represented by the local tub club, but what "356" do you think that the unknowing masses drooled over? Yep, it was a 356 wannabe done up in an amazing paint job, and turned into a widebody outlaw.

The masses were fooled, the real Porsche guys were put off by the fact that the thing even got into the Concours in the first place, but you know what? The car looked great, it probably ran great, it was likely very reliable, and if anyone wants a Beck or any other good looking Wannabe...GO FOR IT and ENJOY your ride!

p.s. My Black '93 968 Cabriolet placed 3rd in 2007, and the Black '01 Boxster 2nd in Class in 2008. But, the '57 356A Cabriolet, was People's Choice over 15 years ago at the West Coast Holiday. All gone but the Boxster

I love my Boxster, but a 2010 wouldn't take up any more room in my garage than the '01. My wife and my 401K disagree.
greesedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #12

My father recently got into the old 356's and started collecting them. He has a 1952 pre A coupe, 1954 Pre A coupe "outlaw" style, and a 1955 356 Speedster.

The 52 has a lot of history and has won 8 out of 10 events it's been in. It's sat on the lawn at Pebble Beach and placed. Beautiful car, fully restored as it rolled off the factory line.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 03:51 AM   #13

Garage
Wow...and to think some people only collect stamps!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #14

What's wrong with collecting stamps? I have a room full along with my hockey cards and my limited collection action figures.

J/K!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
What's wrong with collecting stamps? I have a room full along with my hockey cards and my limited collection action figures.

J/K!
I remember watching a movie about a guy that collected action figures. Now lets see...what was it called?...O yea, now I remember.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 AM   #16

I have to agree that their real pretty cars to go look at in an museum.... which is why I will never own one. But to each his own.

I think the quote is "Drive it like you stole it".
Old 04-07-2009, 06:45 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam

J/K!
Do you have an Oscar Goldman in the original case?
ocdbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #18

At a local informal car meet - cars & coffee - in San Diego there were several 356's being shown and not one was a steel bodied car. There's a local manufacturer of Porsche replicas - Thunder Ranch which perhaps accounts for the number of fiberglass cars on display.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdbilly
What? I'm probably too young to know who that is.

And I was joking about the action figures....
Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdbilly

Good one!! LOL