Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #1

A question

Hello all,

I am very closeon closing a deal on a nice 2001 boxster with 47K on it. The dealer took it to the porsche dealer to have it checked out as the check engine light came on. They ended up replacing the rear seal as it was starting to leak and a few other things. I have yet to see the actual work order. The car will be picked up on Monday. What else is common to a boxster that might need repairing soon? I want to make sure to get it in tip top condition to start with. Thanks for the help.

Bill

P.S What should a 60k service run on this car and what exactly is done on that service.

Thanks again.

nidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:48 PM   #2

I did my 30K when I bought my car. I called several dealers and got quotes from 900-1800. Being surprised, I asked what they did at 30K, and each dealer told me just about the same thing:

"We change the spark plugs, we change the oil, filters, air filter, cabin filter, check the air pressure (they ALL said this which just makes me laugh), and we generally walk around the car and do general check ups. It takes a full day"

So I took out my calculator, and added up the things they said... no chance it would come up to what they were asking for. So I asked if they had to drop the engine to replace the spark plugs and was told no.

Thats at 30K, I have to imagine that at 60K, its that much and then some of course. Just to give you an idea of what you're about to get yourself into

I'd go get my manual, but the superbowl is on.

JBG
JonnyBGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #3

Any dealer can give you an exact qoute on the service costs. To my knowledge, oil leaks of any kind WILL NOT trip the check engine light. I would dig deeper with the seller if I were you.

Did you pay to have Porsche do a pre purchase inspection? Was the previous services done on the car, ie 15-30 and 45 K services? Did you verify this?

Caveat Emptor.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #4

The car is at the Porsche dealer as we speak. Once I see what they say other then the Rear seal fix I will make a decision. I have not seen it yet. I will verify service records etc. The service department is going to go over the car completely while it is there. It has been there since Wednesday as a matter of fact. I will let you know what the verdict is once I see the results.

Bill.
nidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 06:38 PM   #5

Talking

Best of luck. WE hope you join us here as a new owner very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidit
The car is at the Porsche dealer as we speak. Once I see what they say other then the Rear seal fix I will make a decision. I have not seen it yet. I will verify service records etc. The service department is going to go over the car completely while it is there. It has been there since Wednesday as a matter of fact. I will let you know what the verdict is once I see the results.

Bill.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:51 AM   #6

My 30k maint. was $900 at a dealer, doing all the stuff noted by JonnyBGood. The list of things checked during that maint. extends to about 24 separate items and is supposed to take about 5.5 hrs, not really all day. If the dealer is conscientious about it, the car will get a pretty thorough going-over. If they're not, then you're getting the schnitzel from the dealer.
The Maintenance Manual in the car lists all of the items to be done at every scheduled maint.

Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote