Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #1

Halogen Headlamp bulbs question - xenon / blue lights?

I have been looking into litronics - but honeslty am not ready to drop $1000-1500 for a set of these things.

I have thought about just getting replacement bulbs for my headlamps that would be a super white, or hyper white - or whatever you call it. I am not looking for "ricer" lights - but something that is not so "yellow".

I have read threads here saying I should NOT get anyhthing over 55W as it will burn my headlight housings - but I wondered if there is a "recommended" way to upgrade my lights so that it at least looks better - and do it for FAR cheaper than doing litronics?

also - do we have TWO H7 bulbs or THREE?? I have a low / high / and a fog. all in the headlight - so I assume that is three separate bulbs? I also have a little 2825 parking light in there.

i'd like to make them all a brigher / bluish white - but only if I can do it for a reasonable price and not have it look crappy/tacky and not hurt the car.

i've heard of HID conversion kits - but honeslty odn't know what that is. i'd prefer to just change out bulbs as I woudl think I could do all these bulbs for not much money.... any suggestions - thanks!!

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #2

yes there are 3 h7 55w bulbs in there and the parking light... i wanted the hid/blueish look also so what i did was buy the blue plasma 55w lights on ebay since they were cheap and also changed the parking light to a blueish bulb so now everything looks pretty good... do you have the clear lights or the lights with the ambers on the bottom? probably will do the the h7 hid conversion one of these days...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:27 PM   #3

i have the halogen lamps with the orange at the bottom - but I custom cut some white adhesive that is micro perforated and put it over the orange part. it effectively covers up ALL the amber, but b/c it has micro perfs - the amber blinks through fine - and the color matches the headlight acceptably. up close you can see there is a sticker on the lights. from 10'+ away it looksl ike I have cleared headlights. cost me nothing - i had the stuff lying around from another project.

you can buy the stuff on the web. it is the adhesive material used to make banners/stickers for bus windows, store windows - that they print on.

i'm not sure if there is a "good" or "better" brand of these bluish lights to get. i figure if I get decent quality bulbs - while I still won't have HIDs - it will look better than my fugly yellow colored lights. I don't drive the car at night that much - so it's not a priority to get true litronics. I usually drive at day - but if I am out at night, or have the parking lights on - it would be cool to at least have it look more modern. the bluish lights look newer more modern.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote