Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #61

I bought it because I didn't want to afford a 996 right now but really wanted a Porsche. I decided to go with a 986 with the idea that I'll probably end up selling up to a 996 later, but I love the car so much now that I think I'm going to drive it till the wheels come off.

phook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #62

My first Porsche was a 76' 911,..then a 74' 914,then a 77' 911,..and now a 76' 914,..So for me the Boxster is all 911 up front and all 914 from the seats back,..a Damn good combination for me,.!! LOL
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #63

Garage
I've been a motorcyclist for my whole life and a riding buddy of mine has a 98 Boxster. He let me drive it one day after I chided him about it being a 'chicks car' but one ride made me a believer. Then I started looking online at used ones and combing the forums regarding all the ownership aspects (IMS, AOS, water pumps etc.) and finally found a 'sad' little Boxster on the other side of the state. Turns out they were going through a divorce and I got it for a really good price- which is another reason I am driving a Boxster as the cost of entry into getting my first Porsche made Boxster even more attractive. Plus I really enjoy driving this car, it truly is a 'drivers car' steering feel, shifting and braking are all intuitive and honestly the motorcycle has sat in the garage since I purchased about 3 months ago. Plus it is pretty easy to work on and I have enjoyed doing some preventative such as AOS, throttle body clean, spark plugs and tubes/orings and upgraded the radio. It is a hoot to drive and the wife enjoys going with me -plus our dog thinks it is the best car ever- plenty of fresh air to sniff. A Great Car and I am really happy my riding buddy offered me his to test out that day.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:09 AM   #64

Garage
I went the other way. Bought a motorcycle 5+ months ago (Brand new MC rider) and the Boxster pretty much sits in the garage. I always felt that the Boxster was like a 4 wheel motorcycle when the top is down. I still love driving the Box but when I have free time I get on the bike and head into the woods
Old 05-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
I've been a motorcyclist for my whole life and a riding buddy of mine has a 98 Boxster. He let me drive it one day after I chided him about it being a 'chicks car' but one ride made me a believer. Then I started looking online at used ones and combing the forums regarding all the ownership aspects (IMS, AOS, water pumps etc.) and finally found a 'sad' little Boxster on the other side of the state. Turns out they were going through a divorce and I got it for a really good price- which is another reason I am driving a Boxster as the cost of entry into getting my first Porsche made Boxster even more attractive. Plus I really enjoy driving this car, it truly is a 'drivers car' steering feel, shifting and braking are all intuitive and honestly the motorcycle has sat in the garage since I purchased about 3 months ago. Plus it is pretty easy to work on and I have enjoyed doing some preventative such as AOS, throttle body clean, spark plugs and tubes/orings and upgraded the radio. It is a hoot to drive and the wife enjoys going with me -plus our dog thinks it is the best car ever- plenty of fresh air to sniff. A Great Car and I am really happy my riding buddy offered me his to test out that day.
So funny I thought I was being crazy... I recently got back into motorcycling after 30 years and bought an older 2002 BMWGS which I'm enjoying immensely on the weekends. A friend however, recently bought an 2002 Boxster and after checking it out I've become totally obsessed with it. It feels like it could almost be a substitute for riding (my wife isn't all that keen on my motorcycle lol). I'm now looking to add another vehicle to the garage and have started to research which years to focus on. If I can swing the 2010 that's where I'm leaning. Not going to sell the bike just yet but will be interesting to see what gets more attention.

Thanks
pkrip
pkrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #66

Garage
dI have enjoyed 914s, Alfa Spiders, Lotus Esprits, and other sports car roadsters. I really enjoyed the parts hunt, restoration, and driving the backroads. MY specialty was the complete restoration irregardless of make. Each had their strengths and weaknesses. The years roll by and interest change to being involved with the social end and club travel; because of our retirement location the Porsche Club (also belong to Alfa Romero, Lotus clubs). I was building a 914 and time also created a timely problem - Hard to get up from working close to floor - 914 went (about 99% complete) and here comes a used 2002 Porsche Boxster S.
Steve Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:22 PM   #67
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Ok. Who resurrected this 10 year old thread?
I also clicked through just to check on it ....
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #68
WALDMEISTER

Garage
hahaha...let's see if the answers have changed…
PORSCHE … it's all about emotions and passion. Still valid for me.
Couldn't care less about supercars or rational cars.
Branded for Life (oops, nice slogan, dips on the copyright, lol).