986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   So why a Boxster? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20112)

Immortal1520 03-30-2009 04:55 PM

So why a Boxster?

I'm still somewhat new to the sports car world, let alone a Porsche and I was wondering why you guys chose a Boxster over anything else.

For me, I was pining over getting a new car for the last 3-4 months, and I was next to positive that I was going to buy a BMW Z4 once I had the cash for it. I was walking around the other car dealerships and locked eyes with a Silver Boxster. After test driving it, I was next to positive that I'd rather have one of these instead. The grip, balance and pretty much everything about it just clicked so well with me. Tie that in with the MUCH better suspension in the Boxster and I was sold, haha.

By the way, that Silver Boxster is the same one in my garage right now. ^^

kabel 03-30-2009 06:28 PM

... the Boxster chose me :D

Fred Demara 03-30-2009 06:32 PM

handles better than a 911 at the track

rick3000 03-30-2009 07:02 PM

I went looking for a Jeep until I found something I liked better, spotted my Boxster, two days later it was in my garage. I have never regretted it! :cheers:

Jeph 03-30-2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabel
... the Boxster chose me :D

Haha!

I was sold on the sound alone on my first test drive. The price, the handling, the fact that I fit (compared to the S2000), and yes, I'll admit that even the brand all contributed to the purchase.

Lordblood 03-30-2009 08:19 PM

The 350z is too ugly and is too heavy.
The S2000 looks...girly
The Mazda Rx-8 is good, but has that ricey atmosphere about it (I hate ricers with a passion)
The Audi TT is too numb and isn't a sports car
The SLK is a GT car not a sports car
The BMW Z4 is pretty good, but the suspension is harsh and isn't as sophisticated.

Really in this price range you're left with a Boxster. To me it's the perfect mix of everything good about each of the other cars in the range, plus it is mid-engined which is something it shares with no other car in the price range.

Actually I might go as far as saying that the Boxster is the best overall sports car Porsche makes right now. I'm not too sure about the newest 911, but the older ones didn't handle as nicely as the Box, the Cayman is sort of like a Boxster with a solid roof, and the Cayenne...I'm not into SUV's.

sd_boxster 03-30-2009 09:00 PM

The Boxster is a sweet-looking car with a mighty pedigree that cost less and looks better than the Pontiac Solstice Coupe I got tired of waiting for.

Lordblood 03-30-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_boxster
The Boxster is a sweet-looking car with a mighty pedigree that cost less and looks better than the Pontiac Solstice Coupe I got tired of waiting for.

Ah yes I forgot about the American competitors, but that's alright because they all raise the same concern in me.

They look great, especially the Sky (probably the best looking car in this range), however I've never trusted American cars as quality products. I'm probably being biased, but the few cars I have driven that were American just didn't feel as well put together as I'd hope for them to be.

Plus I wouldn't be surprised if GM put in numb steering and cheap plastics in those cars as they do with every other car they produce.

Immortal1520 03-30-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lordblood
The 350z is too ugly and is too heavy.
The S2000 looks...girly
The Mazda Rx-8 is good, but has that ricey atmosphere about it (I hate ricers with a passion)
The Audi TT is too numb and isn't a sports car
The SLK is a GT car not a sports car
The BMW Z4 is pretty good, but the suspension is harsh and isn't as sophisticated.

Really in this price range you're left with a Boxster. To me it's the perfect mix of everything good about each of the other cars in the range, plus it is mid-engined which is something it shares with no other car in the price range.

Actually I might go as far as saying that the Boxster is the best overall sports car Porsche makes right now. I'm not too sure about the newest 911, but the older ones didn't handle as nicely as the Box, the Cayman is sort of like a Boxster with a solid roof, and the Cayenne...I'm not into SUV's.

Lordblood, everything you've said is on the money. I'm pretty much seeing eye to eye with you in terms of the other cars, haha. I've also lways felt that the Boxster was one of the best sports cars compared to its competition in terms of looks and performance. And the namesake doesn't hurt either.

American cars aren't that bad. From what I've heard from others... they're pretty reliable. My Dad drives a Chrysler Crossfire and it's great if you can deal with the horrid suspension and the massive steering wheel. It doesn't look that bad either with the grooved hood and all.

The main problem with American cars IMO is that you don't really want to buy them as much as you would something from a more reputable brand. Saying that you bought a new Saturn doesn't have as nice of a ring as saying that you bought a new Porsche.

But, I'm going massively off topic here, so yeah... haha.

sd_boxster 03-30-2009 09:51 PM

I will probably still get a used Solstice GXP Coupe (if Pontiac stays solvent long enough to sell them) - but I'll go into it knowing that I may be buying a lemon. I miss my '88 Fiero... America's affordable mid-engine 5-speed (sound familiar) answer to the MR2, event though it was terribly unreliable. Oh, Fieros also had that unpleasant habit of catching fire.

I am willing to overlook such things, at least until the flames reach the cockpit.

Lordblood 03-30-2009 10:15 PM

Haha you can't really call the Boxster reliable either, so I see your point.

I can't see how people like the coupe over the roadster though. The coupe just looks wrong to me somehow, especially that rear window.

vath2001 03-31-2009 03:44 AM

First and foremost, I wanted a ragtop.

Looked at the Miata, nice reliable, but kinda cheap. And I didn't want to wear the British driving cap (I think that's mandatory).

Looked at the Z350 convertible, not attractive. The Saturn Sky is sharp, but out of my price/shopping range (and I hate GM). Don't like the Benz, my brother has a couple and all he does is work on them. I like the Lexus SC430, but the prices are too high. The S2000 are too small (and my boss already has one). The Z4 are sharp... but I didn't want a BMW.... their everywhere.

And I always kept coming back to the Boxster.
I'm not in love with the car. It has had some reliability issues. I feel some of the parts I've replaced should have never broke. But I do like the handling and the look.

eightsandaces 03-31-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd_boxster

These two cars barely belong in the same sentence...Solstice = another Fiero = Pontiac's propensity to put a deck wing and "gt" on anything and consecrate it as a sports car... Remember when they did that with the sunbird? LOL @ Pontiac, I'd rather have an old school goat than any modern Pontiac...

ekam 03-31-2009 10:24 AM

- Most reliable in its class
- Mid-engine
- 2 trunks = practical
- Top comes off

Never was into Porsches before I got it.

fragdude 03-31-2009 10:57 AM

I chose the Boxster because it does have two trunks, great torque, good options, the badge (I love Porsches), and at the time the price was decent.

However, I feel a lot of hate goin towards S2000s :(
I am fortunate enough to be able to fit into one and I also used to have one. They are def. more reliable, but do have down sides such as low torque and little useable trunk space. I, also, personally don't think they look girly at all. A lot of people would say that about the Boxster too.

I was def. a toss-up between another s2000 or a Boxster for me. Boxster trumped this round :)

SeanZ4 03-31-2009 11:25 AM

Former Z4 owner here.

I had a black '03 Z4. I loved the looks of the car but it did beat me to death! I've owned over half a dozen bimmers and never had any major problems with them. I'll own another one some day I'm sure. The Z4 just didn't have the magic my Boxster S has. It's a third car so I don't drive it every day. My maint. problems will hopefully be less than some I've seen.

sean

Immortal1520 03-31-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fragdude
However, I feel a lot of hate goin towards S2000s :(
I am fortunate enough to be able to fit into one and I also used to have one. They are def. more reliable, but do have down sides such as low torque and little useable trunk space. I, also, personally don't think they look girly at all. A lot of people would say that about the Boxster too.

Personally, I'd never take an S2000, but I do acknowledge it as a cool car. And of course, it's reliable. Come on, it's a Honda... those cars have a reputation for beling reliable. They'll last for decades.

Though, I can understand why people would look at that S2000 and think of it to be a girly car. It's pretty petite and lacks torque, which is something most girls love in a sporty car. Also, the color can really make it look like a blatant girls car.

If you ask me, the S2000's image reflects on the driver. On one hand, it's a small, dainty car that doesn't toss you around like a usual sports car. On another, it's a fast, easy to maintain, high-revving car that's about as reliable as they get.

I never thought the Boxster looked girly, considering the way it drives, the amount of room and the way it sounds and it's looks... they don't have the traits of a girly car. That's just my take on it though.

mikefocke 03-31-2009 12:15 PM

Balance

My wife said "quit looking, go buy one"...and she didn't care which one it was. So off I go. I drove about 20 samples of other cars. Wasn't looking at Porsche except maybe the 928 at first. Had had a bad reliability/repairability experience with a 914 in 1970-71. Tested ine and it drove like a truck and felt like it was designed in the early 70s (which it was). BMW...took one out and after a block and a half was turning around ..felt like a Mustang from the 60s. Vette just rattled. Jaguar too many stories about engine failures. Honda felt like a shoehorn to get in and I'm not huge. Plus no trunk space. So one day I see an ad for a Boxster across town. Test drive took 30 minutes but in 5 I knew the answer. Negotiated hard from comparative figures, drove it home the same day. Lady replaced it in her 5 car garage with a Hummer H1!!! Lasted 5 months until I totaled it (looking at a Boxster parked in a used car lot, wasn't paying attention to the F150 stopped in my lane). Insurance settlement was more than I had paid for the car so went with a S for the replacement.

Both cars have been good, better than other cars from other makes I have owned at the same time and used in the same way. But I don't gaze fondly at any of them as I pass them like I do with the "toy" car. And they don't average a complement a day like the now old '01 does.

sd_boxster 03-31-2009 12:57 PM

Gotta disagree with you. The Solstice GXP is a looker, and it's very fun to drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
[/B] These two cars barely belong in the same sentence...Solstice = another Fiero = Pontiac's propensity to put a deck wing and "gt" on anything and consecrate it as a sports car... Remember when they did that with the sunbird? LOL @ Pontiac, I'd rather have an old school goat than any modern Pontiac...

FTD 03-31-2009 12:58 PM

I had always wanted a small, sporty roadster style convertible. One day I decided to do something about it.

I had driven a Miata in the past and was not excited. I haven't driven one recently and it was a maybe to check out.

Lexus, Audi, Nissan, Acura, Honda, Toyota and other 2 door sport convertibles -don't like the looks enough to bother with a drive.

Lotus Elise - too much of a 'look at me' car. Not for me.

I drove the Z4 and was kind of interested but not super excited, plus I'm not in love with the cuts they put in the Z4 body design. But mostly it was not an exciting drive. With the power booster on, it still felt a lot like my Accord except I could visibly see higher RPMs - I just couldn't 'feel' anything. It cornered nicely too, but still it didn't wow me.

I drove the Boxster and was sold. There are plus things about it that were, well, on the plus side, but the driving experience - the torque and the suspension - were the reason I bought it. On the test drive I blurted, "Now THIS is fun!". All Gs are good.