Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Power steering whine.

I have an '01 986 (non turbo). Ive had it for almost two years and its allways had a whining noise associated with the power steering. Its loudest at idle while turning the steering wheel but its allways present at low rpm's. I have checked the fluid level, it appears to be fine. Has anyone else experienced the same problem and what did they find as a solution? Im hoping to find out that its just a high pressure line vibrating or maybe there is a conditioner I can add to the fluid. Or if it needs a new pump maybe someone has a suggestion on where to get mine remaufacturered instead of buying new. Im new to the forum, thank you everyone in advance for any help.

Daume

UPDATE; After doing some google research I have found BMW owners and Mustang owners with the same problem claiming its a result of air in the system. Any Ideas?

Last edited by daume; 03-25-2009 at 11:10 AM.
daume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Well, since no else is responding --
A noisy PS pump is usually low on fluid - if yours is not then maybe the fluid is not the correct type or your pump needs to be repaired.

If it were mine --
1. drain the fluid and replace with new correct fluid
2. check all fluid line fittings
3. last resort - remove pump and replace the pump part (look at the Pelican parts diagram because there are 2 reservoirs and the pump are all separate parts) perhaps order from Sunset for a good price

How can air get into the system and cause the noise - loose fitting?

Take care,
Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #3

Thank you Ed for the reply.

1st. As for the correct type of fluid how would I find out what that is exactly. Call the dealer? Pay dealer price?

2nd. Do I need to buy a shop manual or can I find instructions online on how to R&R the fluid?

3rd. Check fluid line fittings? Can you be more specific?

4th. As for the Mustang and BMW owners that I found elsewhere online with a similar problem. The BMW guy blamed it on an o-ring around the fluid input tube.

Ed, you mention 2 seperate reservoirs, is it possible that mine IS low on fluid in the second reservoir and I checked it in the wrong place?

I hope Im not appearing too demanding. Again (to everyone) thank you in advance for any help.

Daume
Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daume
Thank you Ed for the reply.

1st. As for the correct type of fluid how would I find out what that is exactly. Call the dealer? Pay dealer price? Yes, call the dealer parts dept

2nd. Do I need to buy a shop manual or can I find instructions online on how to R&R the fluid? See comment below

3rd. Check fluid line fittings? Can you be more specific? See comment below

4th. As for the Mustang and BMW owners that I found elsewhere online with a similar problem. The BMW guy blamed it on an o-ring around the fluid input tube.

Ed, you mention 2 seperate reservoirs, is it possible that mine IS low on fluid in the second reservoir and I checked it in the wrong place? The refill cap with the measure is the only one you can fill - and when the fluid is hot it expands quite a bit

I hope Im not appearing too demanding. Again (to everyone) thank you in advance for any help. Not too demanding

Daume
Well.......It sounds like you need to find a good Independent Porsche mechanic in your area to check this PS noise problem - or ask the dealer to check it (costly). If you have had the noise for 2 years then it must not bother you too much - might as well leave it alone... IMHO of course...

Background -- we tracked our 02S with big R compound tires and caused the PS return line plastic retainer to the pump to melt and blow out the line -- lots of smoke, etc. I had an Inde R/R the pump because it is above my DIY level -$1K.

If you want to DIY this or other work I would suggest getting the Bentley manual for the Boxster.

Take care,

Ed

Last edited by Sboxin; 03-25-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: correction
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 AM   #5

Thanks again Ed.

No magic pill? Oh well. Ok, I will indeed take it to a mechanic, luckily I have an independant mechanic locally who specalizes in German cars.

Ill post an update after the repair.

Thanks again,

Daume