Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

TurboWerx header claims vs reality

TurboWerx claims that their headers will provide up to a 25 HP gain, without other mods but a K&N filter.
For $800, even 15-20 HP, without loosing somewhere else on the power curve, would be money well spent.
Considering what some people have spent on total aftermarket exhaust mods it's hard to believe the Turbowerx claims. I haven't got the $ to get into anything worth over a grand.
Does anybody own this setup and have opinions to offer??????

Thanks, Bob

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #2

If your car has a cracked manifold, then installing those headers will give you 15-20hp for sure.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
If your car has a cracked manifold, then installing those headers will give you 15-20hp for sure.
OK.....how do I crack my manifold?

Yes, I'm joking........what the heck does that mean????
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #4

I have there headers. I don't know what kind of gains I got from them but I love the sound of them and the car ran great with them on it. I will be using them on my 3.4

Let me know if you want photos of them or anything else.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
I have there headers. I don't know what kind of gains I got from them but I love the sound of them and the car ran great with them on it. I will be using them on my 3.4

Let me know if you want photos of them or anything else.
Good luck with your 3.4 conversion. Was there a time that you ran the headers without the Milles Miglia Exhaust? If so, what did headers alone do for you?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #6

I never ran them with the stock exhaust. I had to swap out the s-car-go headers to the turbo werx headers when the car was supercharged in order to fit the charger. There a great product and the guys over at turbowerx are genuine people.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #7
pk2

Controversy makes me skeptical. There so much back and forth on the subject, insanely well reasoned and technical on both sides.

My takeaway having read dozens of posts on the subject is, Porsche got it pretty well straight. The best dyno #'s I've heard of. with a complete induction/exhaust overhaul was about a 15% gain. Frankly, I don't think I would feel the difference, ...an $800+ disappointment.

Regards, PK

Last edited by pk2; 03-10-2009 at 08:26 AM.
pk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Controversy makes me skeptical. There so much back and forth on the subject, insanely well reasoned and technical on both sides.

My takeaway having read dozens of posts on the subject is, Porsche got it pretty well straight. The best dyno #'s I've heard of. with a complete induction/exhaust overhaul was about a 15% gain. Frankly, I don't think I would feel the difference, ...an $800+ disappointment.

Regards, PK
That "complete induction/exhaust overhaul" that you refer to could cost 2-4 times the $800. I think you would feel the difference, but you may have unfriendly lights on you dash board that aren't good, and trouble at the emmissions inspection. Plus, such a gain may feel good the first few days but then, you'd get complacent with it, because it's not a massive improvement.

I'm tending to agree with your first few sentences. And I've said before, perhaps non-S owners should consider trading up. I like my car, but if I could trade up to an S that's just as good, it would be well worth the $. And the S will command higher resale money, where mods may actually reduce your sales price!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #9

This whole "I need more power in my poor little boxster" is retarded.

Maybe all the Porsche fairies are right afterall... engine blows up = 3.8L swap!

It's better to spend money on penis enlargement pills or hair growth products.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
This whole "I need more power in my poor little boxster" is retarded.

Maybe all the Porsche fairies are right afterall... engine blows up = 3.8L swap!

It's better to spend money on penis enlargement pills or hair growth products.
On the whole I agree with you.

But for many it's an OCD and probably the results are mostly placebo effect. Yet there are many conditions where a placebo is administered alá If you think it's better then it is.

Besides, modding is cheaper than therapy because eventually you run out of mods whereas therapy can take two lifetimes. Never saw anyone get into therapy where the practitioner ever said:" Well you're cured... you don't need to see me anymore..."
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-10-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
mts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam
TurboWerx claims that their headers will provide up to a 25 HP gain, without other mods but a K&N filter.
For $800, even 15-20 HP, without loosing somewhere else on the power curve, would be money well spent.
Considering what some people have spent on total aftermarket exhaust mods it's hard to believe the Turbowerx claims. I haven't got the $ to get into anything worth over a grand.
Does anybody own this setup and have opinions to offer??????
I would be highly skeptical. It would basically mean TurboWerx was getting more than double what other companies can get. In fact, I've not yet seen a full intake and full exhaust (headers, cat bypass pipes, and exhaust) yield a full 25 hp on the dyno for a Boxster.

Not saying it isn't possible, but I'd wager if they provide 1/2 of what they claim on a real dyno you would be lucky. You know what the say, if it sounds too good to be true......it probably isn't.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM   #12

I'm running the TurboWerx headers on my S with FabSpeed's new exhaust, and I love it. I have not dyno'd the car, but it sounds glorious and the throttle response is phenomenal with my light flywheel and RoW software.