Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 09:51 AM   #1

Starter question

I think my starter just went. I went to start my boxster and it didn't start right away as usual. I haven't driven the car in a few days. It acts like it wants to start but doesn't. Is this the started or something else. If it's the starter is that a DIY fix ?

rxgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 12:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgolf
It acts like it wants to start but doesn't.
What does this mean?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 02:21 PM   #3

Is the engine actually cranking over?? Does it make any sounds at all when the ignition switch is in the crank position?? Boxsters have had problems with the odd battery and ignition switch.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM   #4

I had it towed to my local porsche mechanic and it started right up. They said it wasn't the starter maybe just cold from sitting. It's been really cold where I live that may have done it. Sounds strange but they can't see anything wrong besides it being a little flooded from me cranking it too much. This has never happened before that's what got me a little concerned.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:26 AM   #5

Thumbs up

For the future:

If the car cranks, normally it is not a starter problem. If the car cranks slowly, likely a battery that is a bit drained or is on the way out (the factory Box battery is not a long lived battery in my experience).

If the car sits for a long time, the battery may need a trickle charger affixed or you can simply fast charge it every so often.

If the weather is cold, marginal batteries will go south on you.

Lastly, I hope you didn't touch the gas while trying to start the car. With FI, this would be a no-no.

Good luck in the future.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, I had a 928 S4 that used to do the same thing if I let it sit. I have a new battery in the car. The mechanic drove the car around today with no problems. It started right up ,go figure. One of the vacuum lines was disconnected they said which could have kicked the CE light. I wanted them to just replace the starter but they wouldn't. I have 51,000 on a 99 is it time to change the starter?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #7

Smile

If the engine cranked over it isn't the starter.... don't fix what's not broken, enjoy the car while it's working- the problem might never happen again.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:55 PM   #8

Thanks for the info, I got the car back and it's running as smooth as ever.