Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #1

How do I?

How do I get the pilot bearing out of my flywheel and then how do I put the new one back?

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
FTD

Wow, that brings back miserable memories. No money to hire a mechanic, replacing clutch parts in December in the cold and sleet. Accidentally rolling in transmission oil and the putrid smell I couldn't get rid of. Yeow. It turns out I didn't need the clutch parts, I actually needed the little inexpensive pilot bearing.

OK, I don't know mechanic terms but my helper person had to get this thing that is a long pole with three prongs on the end of it and a sliding weight. If I saw it mentioned I would know exactly what someone was talking about, but the word for it doesn't come to me right now. Get those prongs extended into the center of the bearing and 'caught' on the ring. [boy, do I sound technical or what?]. Then send the weight slinging down the pole [for force] over and over until the damn thing comes out.

If I could think of the name of that tool, I could have just said "with a ___". But that would be less amusing.

I don't think I was around when the new one went in. I think I had reached a breaking point on being an auto mechanic.

Last edited by FTD; 02-25-2009 at 07:03 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
...I don't know mechanic terms but my helper person had to get this thing that is a long pole with three prongs on the end of it and a sliding weight... If I could think of the name of that tool, I could have just said "with a ___".
A Slide-Hammer...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

That was funny. Is it bad if I re-use the one that is in my flywheel? It has been in there for about 1k miles?
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
FTD

Why do you have to remove it if it isn't bad?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY
That was funny. Is it bad if I re-use the one that is in my flywheel? It has been in there for about 1k miles?
Jaay:

If it's only been in there for 1K miles, it's unlikely that you would have to replace it, unless it's been sitting around exposed to the elements. If there is any pitting or galling on the surfaces of the rollers or other parts of the bearing, it should be replaced.

To get the bearing out, if the flyweel if off you can use a drift of the appropriate size, or if it's on the car you can use the bearing puller and slide hammer combination mentioned by FTD. A press would be ideal for installing the new bearing. If you are going to DIY, you should look at the workshop manual to see if they recommend cooling the bearing and/or heating the flywheel to ease installation of the new bearing.

If you have the flywheel still off, and don't want to DIY, buy the new bearing and bring it to a machine shop for removal/installation. That will be relatively inexpensive.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 02-25-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #7

That is what I am going to do. I will bring it to my local porsche speed shop.. Lynmore performance. There real good. Thanks for all of your input. I need to go drink now.

Yes I drink alot to ease the pain of the stealership prices on parts.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 PM   #8

You could try this. It's generally a blind hole, so you can't drive it out with a punch from the back side. Pump some grease into the center to fill the cavity behind the bushing/bearing. Find a punch/rod that matches the hole size closely, then drive it thru the hole into the grease. That should cause enough hydrolic pressure to push the bushing out. you may have to add grease to fully remove it.
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #9

Ill bring it to my dealership. My friend is the service manager. I think I can make one of his guys do it.