Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #1

1999 Boxster Fair/Good Price

I narrowed my choices down to a TT and Boxster and leaning toward the latter. Found a 99 Boxster with 75k miles in good shape with 18 inch chrome wheels. Is there anything I should know about the car or should I stay away from this yr? I know that 00 has a slightly higher displacement but I only have $10,000 to spend on a weekend a toy. I have an E class for daily commute and do not plan to drive more than 5-7 k/yr. What are your opinions?

AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:45 PM   #2

Sounds like a good price to me. Run a report, get a PPI, etc. Have fun.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
If you do your homework and rule out the dogs, a 99 with 75k should be a great car for the money. My 98 "creampuff" with similar mileage still turns heads every day. Enjoy.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
If you do your homework and rule out the dogs, a 99 with 75k should be a great car for the money. My 98 "creampuff" with similar mileage still turns heads every day. Enjoy.
Topless, we are nearly neighbor. I have a couple of siblings in your neck of the woods. BTW, I hope this boxster I am picking up next week will not be a money pit. It's a prelude to the 911 if all goes well.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
If that 99 turns out to be a sweetie you may just set aside those 911 plans. I did. A Boxster is just way more fun to drive than a TT or modern Carrera IMHO. If you decide not to buy it send me a link to the car. My brother is looking for an early Boxster right now too.

Last edited by Topless; 02-13-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

stay away from the audi tt.... went from a boxster to the audi tt awd quattro with the 225 hp engine.... my opinion.... it sucked.... huge difference in performance from the turbo lag!! the boxster is an awesome car just be careful as repairs especially engine replacements can kill the wallet....
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
stay away from the audi tt.... went from a boxster to the audi tt awd quattro with the 225 hp engine.... my opinion.... it sucked.... huge difference in performance from the turbo lag!! the boxster is an awesome car just be careful as repairs especially engine replacements can kill the wallet....
That's the kind of first hand opinion that I appreciate. On a side note, I noticed some 99 model has black face instrument panel and some white. I even saw a 00 model having a black face panel. Personally, I prefer the white one. What's difference? Is it because of option package?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #8

It's my understanding that in 99 and 00, all the faces are black for the base Boxster. The white faces came on board with the S models beginning in 00. You can purchase different color gauge faces (white, red, silver) and have them installed. That's probably what the owner did if you saw a white face on an early non-S Boxster.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Kaplan
It's my understanding that in 99 and 00, all the faces are black for the base Boxster. The white faces came on board with the S models beginning in 00. You can purchase different color gauge faces (white, red, silver) and have them installed. That's probably what the owner did if you saw a white face on an early non-S Boxster.

From what I understand, the white faced displays were part of the "Sport Package" that was offer on Boxsters prior to the release of the "S" model in 2000....my 98 has white faces and the "Sport Package" is one the options my car came with......
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

get yourself a 2000 or wait until you have the money for an S.
with this economy the market is not really discounting for mileage and year. It's more to do with how badly the seller wants to sell for cash.
It's like buying a 87 Carrera, you're into a whole other ball game with the 2000.

p.s.
a 99 with 60K miles sold for $11K on Ebay last week.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
70000 to 120000 miles is a bad time to own a Porsche, just about all the consumables will need to be replaced.

Some of these are:

struts
rotors
clutch
brake hoses
coolant hoses
air/oil seperator
oil filler tube
coolant tank
track arms
wheel bearings
convertible top and trannies
windshield is usually full of nicks and scrapes
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 02-15-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
get yourself a 2000 or wait until you have the money for an S.
with this economy the market is not really discounting for mileage and year. It's more to do with how badly the seller wants to sell for cash.
It's like buying a 87 Carrera, you're into a whole other ball game with the 2000.

p.s.
a 99 with 60K miles sold for $11K on Ebay last week.
I am supposed to buy a 99 w/ manual that I have not seen in person. I swore I would only consider a manual sports car but....this past weekend I came across an 01 w/ Tip at a small time used car dealer. They deal a lot w/ late models MB, BMW, and Lexus. It has about 83k miles. When first started, the engine is a little rough but after 5 minutes, the engine is creamy smooth. (Is this normal?) It was the first Boxster I actually looked at and drove. The car drives very nice and has no evidence of prior damage.

The Carfax report came up w/ possible odo error/roll back. In '1/04, mileage reported at 23k and 12/04, it jumped up to 133k miles. Curious about the Carfax report I called the MB dealer at Newport and was told of various things serviced there such as (from my recollection):
1. 11/04 reported at 33k miles,
2. 4/05 37k miles for 30k service,
3. 4/06 62k miles,
4. 1/08 back window,
5. 7/08 80, 610 miles, replaced transmission oil cooler valve or something like that.

The dealer has had this car for awhile and on their window is an asking price of $16999 but advertises for $9999. I told the dealer because of the Carfax report the resale value is affected. Eager to move the car of the lot (I think), they accepted $9500. I am a little apprensive about the purchase. I have never owned a Porsche. I maintain my own cars. The last 2 sports car that I owned are 2003 S2000 and 2007 Z4 coupe. The latter one I regrettably traded for an E350.

I put a $500 deposit and will pick it up tomorrow. What do you guys think? Take the deposit back or go for it.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #13

I think for $9500 your getting a good deal. I have really grown to like our tip, even though we origionaly pasted on the car at first because of it. You shouldn't regret the tip. IMO I'm not sure you can go wrong at $9500.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #14

Let me start by saying that I don't want to rain on anyone's parade.

But, I am a little suspect of the '01 you've found. You have a mileage discrepancy and the price is almost too good on an '01, even in this economy and equipped with the TipS. You may be satisfied with the explanation about the discrepancy, but it still exists, and it will pop up again if you ever sell the car.

In the final analysis, it's your money and your car. If you're satisfied, that's the end of it.

BUT DON'T EVEN THINK about getting ANY Boxster without a thorough PPI from a qualified Dealer or Independent (one with a PST2 or PIWIS tester)! These cars can/do have issues.

Hopefully, all ends well... on the other hand, it may save you from a $9500 mistake (afterall, that's what it's intended to do). Good Luck!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 02-15-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:54 AM   #15

Two quick points.

No need to settle for any Box right now. It is clealy a buyer's market, maybe the best I have ever seen.

Also, if you only have a certain amount to spend and none for repairs, you are likely to be walking al ot. All used Boxes will need repairs and maint. and they don't come cheap.

Heed Lil Bastard's advice above.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #16

Possible alternative in a 5spd

See below quote... I bought my 1998 back in Feb of 08 with just under 60k, and I have run the gauntlet on consumable repairs. Here is what I have replaced/upgraded on mine:
1998 Boxster, White 5-spd with black top, dark grey int, 74k miles.

Many newly replaced items include:

- Transmission + clutch kit w/ 1yr warranty

- Both rear wheel bearings

- All new brakes

- Water Pump

- Coolant Tank

- Serpentine Belt

- Air/Oil Separator

- Both seat belt recepticals

- Pilot Sports less than 1 yr old

- Top less than 3 yrs old

I have ALL the original paperwork including radio code and window sticker, plus records of all work I have had done. If you are considering a late model boxster, even one with relatively low miles, it pays to have one where the most common maintenance items have already been replaced.

Total cost of these repairs: $11,000!

Now, it runs great, but I am in need of a more practical daily driver and am puting it up for sale.

Carfax and Title are clean and I have the pink slip. PM me if interested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
70000 to 120000 miles is a bad time to own a Porsche, just about all the consumables will need to be replaced.

Some of these are:

struts
rotors
clutch
brake hoses
coolant hoses
air/oil seperator
oil filler tube
coolant tank
track arms
wheel bearings
convertible top and trannies
windshield is usually full of nicks and scrapes
dgentileksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Two quick points.

No need to settle for any Box right now. It is clealy a buyer's market, maybe the best I have ever seen.

Also, if you only have a certain amount to spend and none for repairs, you are likely to be walking al ot. All used Boxes will need repairs and maint. and they don't come cheap.

Heed Lil Bastard's advice above.

Good luck.
Man....I have today to take back the deposit or like many others have said to have a PPI. With the rain and all not sure it can be done either way. I do feel better if they would let me take it to a nearby shop for a PPI. I don't mind spending $10 G but certainly not on repairs in the near future.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 AM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
If they will not let you take it in for a PPI, RUN!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #19

i agree with the above comments - it's a buyers market.

why buy a 99 for 10k when you can easily find a 2000 for the same price.

if you live anywhere near a major metropolitan market - I'd just start hitting auto trader / cars.com and start making your own little spreadsheet.

find the cars that are in your "general" price range and then go up about 5k.

if a guy is asking 15k for his car - and he has had it for sale for 6 months, and you say say I have $10k - i will come buy it today - and hsi car is paid off - he has no note to satisfy and he is in NEED of selling it and NEEDS that cash - he must might say "okay".

i'd start looking at more expensive onesa nd see who is desperate enough to come down a substantial margin. only after exhausting THAT route, would I "settle for an older higher mileage 99. nothign wrong with those cars - they will be just as fun as a newer one - but if you can get newer/lower miles - why not.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
If they will not let you take it in for a PPI, RUN!
Thank you all! I did have the mechanic check the car. We found out that the rear left quarter panel was resprayed and was not done as nice. I have seen better paint work than that. On top of that, once the car was on a lift we saw a little of oil drip. Mechanic believes it's from the valve cover. It was worth the effort to have a PPI done. I got my deposit back and said once they rectify the leakage issue, then I would reconsider. It's my way of saying please give me back my deposit.