View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #12
AlexH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
get yourself a 2000 or wait until you have the money for an S.
with this economy the market is not really discounting for mileage and year. It's more to do with how badly the seller wants to sell for cash.
It's like buying a 87 Carrera, you're into a whole other ball game with the 2000.

p.s.
a 99 with 60K miles sold for $11K on Ebay last week.
I am supposed to buy a 99 w/ manual that I have not seen in person. I swore I would only consider a manual sports car but....this past weekend I came across an 01 w/ Tip at a small time used car dealer. They deal a lot w/ late models MB, BMW, and Lexus. It has about 83k miles. When first started, the engine is a little rough but after 5 minutes, the engine is creamy smooth. (Is this normal?) It was the first Boxster I actually looked at and drove. The car drives very nice and has no evidence of prior damage.

The Carfax report came up w/ possible odo error/roll back. In '1/04, mileage reported at 23k and 12/04, it jumped up to 133k miles. Curious about the Carfax report I called the MB dealer at Newport and was told of various things serviced there such as (from my recollection):
1. 11/04 reported at 33k miles,
2. 4/05 37k miles for 30k service,
3. 4/06 62k miles,
4. 1/08 back window,
5. 7/08 80, 610 miles, replaced transmission oil cooler valve or something like that.

The dealer has had this car for awhile and on their window is an asking price of $16999 but advertises for $9999. I told the dealer because of the Carfax report the resale value is affected. Eager to move the car of the lot (I think), they accepted $9500. I am a little apprensive about the purchase. I have never owned a Porsche. I maintain my own cars. The last 2 sports car that I owned are 2003 S2000 and 2007 Z4 coupe. The latter one I regrettably traded for an E350.

I put a $500 deposit and will pick it up tomorrow. What do you guys think? Take the deposit back or go for it.
AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote