Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
cartagena

How to Restore Leather

My question is not exactly about car seats. But hey, I figure there has to be someone on here who has restored leather seats for his car, and will know the answer.

I have a white leather sofa that has turned a dingy yellow and has several stains on it. No one, and I mean NO ONE where I live knows how to clean stuff like this. There would also appear to be no high quality products available.

Perhaps someone here has restored leather seats on their Porsche and might know how I can clean and try to rejuvenate my sofa using stuff I can buy at the local store? Thanks

Old 02-13-2009, 05:34 AM   #2

Try some leather soap first and then condition it...I use Lexol. You can get it all at Wal-mart.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #3

http://www.leatherique.com/

These guys can help I think.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
FTD

I got a combo package of leather cleaner / conditioner from Ikea - about $15. I have used this on my furniture for six years. No complaints.

From the 'local store', I am accustomed to using Saddle Soap for cleaning. It is more work than the Ikea leather cleaner, but it works. You want to do a good job of removing it out of the leather once you are satisified with the cleaning. Mink oil to condition the leather and keep it from drying. Like I say, the Ikea stuff seems to be just fine, but it may not be accessible to you and Saddle Soap and Mink Oil should be very available.

Cartegena, how have you been? How's the weather, the cost of living, the govt, the taxes in Colombia? Any more floods and mud slides on the ride to your mountaintop home? Hop over to the lounge and give us an update. You've been gone a while.

Last edited by FTD; 02-13-2009 at 06:41 AM.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
cartagena

Hey FTD....I was actually in Miami for a while looking at all the (not) cheap real estate bargains everyone is talking about but no one seems to be able to show me. I saw my first real Carrera GT. It is also a good thing I have learned some Spanish since you are more likely to find an English speaking person in Colombia than in Miami.

Today is a sunny 92 degrees fahrenheit in Barranquilla where everyone is getting ready for carnaval (see http://www.carnavaldebarranquilla.net ) which means everyone gets drunk for a week and no one works. There was a huge mud slide not far from my house in Medellin that wiped out several houses and killed several people not too long ago. It was on CNN when it happened.

As always, life in Colombia is great. The economy here is still skyrocketing. The weather is beautiful all year and the people are the friendliest that I have ever met anywhere in the world (and I have been MANY places). However, small things do get annoying like the fact no one knows how to fix a leather sofa! And there is no Ikea!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Cartegena, how have you been? How's the weather, the cost of living, the govt, the taxes in Colombia? Any more floods and mud slides on the ride to your mountaintop home? Hop over to the lounge and give us an update. You've been gone a while.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
Hey FTD....I was actually in Miami for a while looking at all the (not) cheap real estate bargains everyone is talking about but no one seems to be able to show me. I saw my first real Carrera GT. It is also a good thing I have learned some Spanish since you are more likely to find an English speaking person in Colombia than in Miami.

Today is a sunny 92 degrees fahrenheit in Barranquilla where everyone is getting ready for carnaval (see http://www.carnavaldebarranquilla.net ) which means everyone gets drunk for a week and no one works. There was a huge mud slide not far from my house in Medellin that wiped out several houses and killed several people not too long ago. It was on CNN when it happened.

As always, life in Colombia is great. The economy here is still skyrocketing. The weather is beautiful all year and the people are the friendliest that I have ever met anywhere in the world (and I have been MANY places). However, small things do get annoying like the fact no one knows how to fix a leather sofa! And there is no Ikea!!!
Great update!

On the boring side, I also can suggest Murphy's Oil Soap instead of the Saddle Soap. Easier to work with - work it in to a wet sponge and then use the sponge on the leather. Just again be sure and remove it well when done.

Stay in touch.

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote