Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Ticking and Thermostat leak???

I have a 1998 Boxster which I just put an aftermarket exhaust manifold on. To get the driver side on I had to pull out the thermostat. After getting the entire thing back together I cranked it up and let it run for a bit. Then I noticed a small drip coming from the thermostat housing. What does Porsche use for a gasket here; a simple silicone bead or an actual gasket? Also I noticed when I start to accelerate there is a soft ticking noise that comes from the driver side of the engine compartment. Could it be I need an oil change (it is extremely cold outside, like 25 F, and I have mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-40 in the car) causing the hydraulic lifters not to get proper oil flow? Or is there another explanation? Thanks!!!

P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:15 AM   #2

There is a gasket with a silicone bead .Don't know about the ticking sound .One thing that is tricky is bleeding the cooling system .Go to www.pedrosgarage.com .He has detailed instructions in the DIY section.
Fun-huh ?
Dave
dcdrechsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #3

I'd change the oil... Mine ticked once and when I changed the oil to 0W-40 it went away. Mine was noticeable at idle.

Should I be using 10W-40 here in Chicago? I use 0W-40 because that's what recommended.
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

I choose the viscosity of oil based on mileage and temperature. If you have a high mileage car go with a thicker oil. If it is colder outside go with oil that is thinner when cold. The manual has a nice chart of good viscosity oils to use given a range of temperatures.

P-51 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote