Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #1

-27... No, not windchill either!

So my Passat read -27 this morning on the way into Chicago. I thought -17 yesterday would never be topped! I was way wrong.
I'll tell you what... the trickle charger I bought for the Box is really going to turn out to be the purchase of the year!!!

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM   #2

gee and I was going to complain about 33F this morning! :-p That frost was treacherous.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #3

And we were all ********************ing yesterday when the temperature didn't rise above 35!
Although today it will be back to the mid 60es... I don't think I could go back to long and cold winters like ya'll have!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #4

Midwest has had a brutal winter, thus far. Record snowfall and bitterly cold; why do I live here? I miss heading out to Barrett-Jackson this January; at least it's been in the seventies during the day.

Guess it will be a few more months until the Box comes out to play.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #5

Where are all those GW guys anyways ....Holland freezes too

NIEUWERKERK AAN DEN IJSSEL, Netherlands: For the first time in 12 years, the Netherlands' canals froze this month, bringing the Dutch, who like their tulips in neat rows, a heady mix of pandemonium and euphoria.Hundreds of thousands of skaters, their cheeks as red as apples in the freezing temperatures, took to the ice, and hospital wards were filled with dozens of people with fractured arms, sprained ankles and broken legs.

Train engineers were ordered to go slowly to avoid hitting skaters who clambered across railway tracks to get from one frozen canal to another. Even the minister of defense, an avid skater, fell and broke his wrist. His ministry announced that the national defense remained in safe hands, even if one of them was in a cast.

In the 19th century, when Hans Brinker, the hero of the novel in which he tries to win a pair of silver skates, coasted along Holland's ice, the canals froze almost every year. But water pollution and climate change have made this so rare that today a boy of 15, Brinker's age, may never have seen a frozen canal, or at least remember one. Until, that is, this year.

"For us, it's in our genes," said Gus Gustafsson, 68, a retired insurance executive, explaining why he and his wife had rushed out to buy new skates and take to the ice under a cloudless blue sky. "It was like a frenzy that came over people, including lots of kids, like my granddaughter, who is 5." With thousands of others, they skated northeast toward the cheese capital, Gouda, then toward Utrecht

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #6

Locate where you are and how cold you are

Man, it is cold out there!

Old 01-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #7

You have to admit though... the one great thing about living up north - it's like getting a new car every year when you take the Boxster out of storage! I love that feeling... you forget it during the winter and when spring gets here it's truly an amazing feeling! My wife always talks about moving and I tell her "Why? I like having a new car every spring!" haha.
bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #8

Well, I've got you all beat. In Bismarck ND a few nights ago, it was minus 44, without wind chill. That, my friends, is cold. The very next day, it was 36 above, for a temp change in 24 hours of 80 degrees!!. We also have set record snowfalls this winter as well, after being in a drought for about the last 12 years. I've got 10 foot drifts in front of my house. Luckily my new Box is on the lift in my somewhat heated garage. I agree with bmx, it is a great day when you can finally drive the car again in the spring, but I definitely will not be retiring up here in the cold. When my kids graduate, we're outta here......
fastorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastorange
Well, I've got you all beat. In Bismarck ND a few nights ago, it was minus 44, without wind chill. That, my friends, is cold. The very next day, it was 36 above, for a temp change in 24 hours of 80 degrees!!. We also have set record snowfalls this winter as well, after being in a drought for about the last 12 years. I've got 10 foot drifts in front of my house. Luckily my new Box is on the lift in my somewhat heated garage. I agree with bmx, it is a great day when you can finally drive the car again in the spring, but I definitely will not be retiring up here in the cold. When my kids graduate, we're outta here......

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLy cold.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

I hear you man! I've got my sights on North Carolina when the kids finish college! go Tar Heels...
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #11

Yeah... I like to hear about people in IL where their Great Lake doesn't freeze over Here in MPLS, MN it didn't get above 2 degrees for 5 or 6 days and yes it was colder than -27 :ah: Today it was +27 and every body was saying "Wow it feels like spring!" Yes it should warm up for you guys tomorrow! We get to go back into the sub zero freezer this next week again. Glad my car (Boxster) is in a heated garage..... I love my Subaru!
(www.myspace.com/tcechelon)
mn box s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmx672
So my Passat read -27 this morning on the way into Chicago. I thought -17 yesterday would never be topped! I was way wrong.
I'll tell you what... the trickle charger I bought for the Box is really going to turn out to be the purchase of the year!!!
So , it warmed up a little. It's about time.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 AM   #13

So I guess when you think you've got it bad like -20 in Chicago there is always someone else that has it worse, e.g., Minnesota!

No offense but that state is too cold for me. How do you do it?
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #14

meh...
It was -10 or something the other night but there was no wind. I stood outside for about 15 minutes and it felt warmer than a few weeks ago when it was 30 with strong wind. Now if the windchill made it feel like -10 that day then why did -10 fee like 30?

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote