Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #1

need help with installing fabspeed bypass pipes

Hi,

so my Christmas gift to myself was a set of fabspeed bypass pipes which I picked up NEW at an incredible low price at eBay

So, they came today and as the wifey is shopping and I have nothing better to do, I tried to install them - but no luck.
I know that a few of you have installed the successfully, so I hope I can get a few pointers

a) I can't get the end of the pipe properly aligned with the "U-pipe" which leads into the muffler. It seems to me that I need to saw approx 3/4" off the pipe.
I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem?

b) the pipes come in two parts: the long bended pipe which connects to the primary cat and a second short pipe which fits very loosely onto the first pipe. Question: do I simply stick it on and mount it (I am afraid that this will rattle a lot) or is there a clamp missing?

Needless to say: the pipes came w/o instructions...

Thanks & Merry Christmas
Chris

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang

a) I can't get the end of the pipe properly aligned with the "U-pipe" which leads into the muffler. It seems to me that I need to saw approx 3/4" off the pipe.
I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem?

b) the pipes come in two parts: the long bended pipe which connects to the primary cat and a second short pipe which fits very loosely onto the first pipe. Question: do I simply stick it on and mount it (I am afraid that this will rattle a lot) or is there a clamp missing?

Chris
I will do the best to answer your questions, as I have installed the same pipes on my '02 S.

A. Loosen all the clamps on each end of the U-pipe; they neeed to be moved around to work the short pipe in for fitting. My car had 12k miles on it when I did the work...everything loosened easily for me.

B. Bolt the long pipe to the exhaust manifold, do not tighten. Work the short pipe into the the long and then to the U-pipe. I'm going from memory (dangerous) but I believe I reused the clamp from the secondary cat. The key to this is to have all pipes loose so you can twist and turn them into position; when everything fits, tighten each a bit all around before final torque.

Hope this helps...if need be, I can go to the garage and take a look, but I think that's how I remember it.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:25 PM   #3

Chris,

There is definately a clamp where the long and short pipes meet. Mine has a large, flat clamp (see pic). The pipe is then attached to the U-pipe with the existing clamp that held the cat in place (verified by PET diagram). I'm sure my Fabspeed kit came with the clamps, as I didn't go buy these and they're not the usual "type" of muffler clamp you'd get at an autoparts store.

Again, good luck and let us know how it works out. You're gonna love the sound!

Last edited by jmatta; 12-26-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

while doing more research I found the following:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15488
The author writes that he had the same problems with the right pipe (that's the one I started with) and that he had to saw 1" off to make it fit, I guess I will have to do the same...
From everything I read, it also seems that there should have been a clamp - which obviously didn't get shipped

last not least another question: it seems that the pipes are very close to the CV boots. Did you wrap your pipes with exhaust tape - or do you have any problems with melting CV boots?

Thanks again
Old 12-27-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

I haven't experienced anywhere near the problems you encountered. Could it be my pipes were manufactured as a different generation? The pipes are in the general area of the CV boots, but not close enough to cause heat related damage. If the car wasn't all wrapped up in storage in the cold garage, I'd go poke around some more...perhaps it will be warmer over the weekend.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I know of two people who have installed these Fabspeed bypass pipes, and both did not have to saw off any of the pipe to make it fit. I would take JMatta's advice and loosen all the clamps and then try jiggling them around until they all fit into place, and then retighten.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
EE3racing

Call Fabspeed directly, they have good support..
Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #8

i tried all the loosening and wiggling and jiggling, but it simply does not fit, so thanks for the idea to call fabspeed directly.
I'll let you know how it works out
Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #9

I think the key here is that you bought them on ebay for an incredibly low price. Do you think they are genuine FabSpeed or genuine knock-off? I would demand a refund from the seller and send them back. If that is not an option I would throw them out and chalk up the money lost to learning the lesson that if something is incredibly low-priced you probably don't know the total price yet.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 AM   #10

I bought them from Suncoast http://stores.ebay.com/**************************************************** which I think is a very reputable organization. So I am sure they are genuine
Old 12-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #11

How does the car sound without cats? I was thinking of doing this myself, but dont want the car to sound like a ricer.
releese78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:46 AM   #12

The mod absolutely does not sound rice...the exhaust is louder (especially coupled with a sport exhaust) and emphasizes the mid range tones starting around 3600rpm.

Keep in mind, all you're doing is removing the secondary (read redundant) set of cats. I'm sure there is some cold start reason for these, but I really think it quiets down the exhaust for EU standards. I've never had a problem, CEL or otherwise since removing mine.

Chris, would Suncoast Parts be Suncoast Porsche? If so, I doubt they'd sell cheap knock-offs. If just an eBay seller, who knows? In any case, I hope you get the problem resolved so you can enjoy your car and it's wonderful sound.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:58 AM   #13

Chris you definitely need the clamps and you should sand and smooth where the pipes fit into eachother. Lubing helps also but will smoke until it burns off. I live in RDCY if you want to see my install.
George
george g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:00 PM   #14

Hi George,

thanks for the offer, I might take you up on it.
I have a friend of mine cut down the right pipe by 3/4 of an inch and will then see on the weekend how it works out

Thanks
Old 12-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #15

Well, I decided to get rid of my cats (98, so it only has one pair). Best money I ever spent! It's actually not much louder, if not quieter at idle. Mine were really old, plugged up and rattling.

Rather than go with the Fabspeed pipes, I had an exhaust shop custom bend and weld some they custom made. They even welded O2 sensor bungs on them for me so I don't have to eliminate the 2 rear sensors. So far no CEL.

As for power and torque, there's not a whole lot of difference, but it's definitely smoother and the throttle is more responsive. When driving, it's not too loud at all, screams a little at RPM's above 4500. Inside the cabin, it's still very peaceful.

It cost me $240 for the mod and took 2 hours. The hardest part was finding a shop that would do this for me. I cohersed them by saying I'd pay cash and not ask for a receipt so that liability is off of them.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #16

There are no O2 sensors on the secondary cats on later cars...can't speak to the early ones?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #17

Well, I spoke too soon. The CEL came on the first time I gave it some throttle. I read somewhere that you can get the PCM programmed to bypass rear O2 sensor monitoring. Is this true? Does the dealer have to do it or can I buy something to do it myself?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #18

back to my original post, for those interested:

After I took 3/4 of an inch from the passenger side pipe it now fits like a charm.
No adjustments needed on the driver's side. The pipes are original fabspeed pipes, the seller is Suncoast Motorsports in Florida. They had the pipes sitting on the shelf for a year as a return from a customer and they wanted to get rid of it, so I got lucky.
Apparently the clamps got lost in the shuffle in the year the pipes were in storage, but two exhaust clamps from the Pep Boys did the trick

And, yes the new sound: I love it
Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #19

Chris, I was bidding on the same set on Ebay, you beat me by $2!! LOL

I noticed one of you Mods in your sig. was "gutted exhaust". can you explain?

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 AM   #20

Chris, glad to hear you got them in finally. I still find it interesting that you had so much, trouble compared to the rest of us who installed them. In any case, don't you just love the sound that comes in around 3800 rpm?