View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
jmatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang

a) I can't get the end of the pipe properly aligned with the "U-pipe" which leads into the muffler. It seems to me that I need to saw approx 3/4" off the pipe.
I wonder if anyone else had a similar problem?

b) the pipes come in two parts: the long bended pipe which connects to the primary cat and a second short pipe which fits very loosely onto the first pipe. Question: do I simply stick it on and mount it (I am afraid that this will rattle a lot) or is there a clamp missing?

Chris
I will do the best to answer your questions, as I have installed the same pipes on my '02 S.

A. Loosen all the clamps on each end of the U-pipe; they neeed to be moved around to work the short pipe in for fitting. My car had 12k miles on it when I did the work...everything loosened easily for me.

B. Bolt the long pipe to the exhaust manifold, do not tighten. Work the short pipe into the the long and then to the U-pipe. I'm going from memory (dangerous) but I believe I reused the clamp from the secondary cat. The key to this is to have all pipes loose so you can twist and turn them into position; when everything fits, tighten each a bit all around before final torque.

Hope this helps...if need be, I can go to the garage and take a look, but I think that's how I remember it.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote