Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2008, 05:23 AM   #1

Good driving roads in Pennsy

Being from Ohio, I have been in south Jersey visiting my family for a couple of days. Needing to head back today (unfortunately, I have to work tomorrow), I wanted to find a different route back, hopefully nice roads, nice views and not a ton of traffic. It's shaping up to be a pretty Boxster driving day---maybe even top down weather!

Anyway, I came out here via the Pennsy Turnpike, fairly efficient but not exactly beautiful, and fairly traffic-laden. I have used I-80 before, and like it a lot. But that has entailed using the NE Extension to get up there. Again, not exactly a beautiful driving road.

What I was wondering about was maybe getting on the Turnpike headed west and at some point breaking off, heading north or (preferably) northwest up to I-80.

Anybody have any suggestions for a good place to break off I-76 to head up to I-80?? Any suggestions welcome, and TIA.

(BTW, it's now around 9:00 am and I'm hoping to leave not much after noon, so you guys don't have a lot of time. Sorry I didn't think to post this yesterday!)

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

bump.. anyone?? Surely there are some Pennsylvania people with some ideas??

(I know, it's after noon, but I've still not left yet...you know how tough it can be breaking away from family visits.)
Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #3

You're probably already gone but....

Take 322 from east Harrisburg up to State College and then 322 bypass to I-80. 322 thru Lewistown (and St. College) is a pretty drive - especially (usually) around this time of year. Only caution is to watch speed along I-80 at Milesburg and as well near I-79 interchange.

Safe travels
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #4

Thanks, but Yep, already gone.

I'm pretty sure the way you describe is the way I went one of my other trips.

This time I decided to do the NE Extension up to the Allentown region, then took I-78 W a couple miles and got off on Rte 100 up to Rte 309 N, then Rte 93 N, which took me up to I-80.

Pretty nice roads, not too much slow downs in little towns, lots of wonderful autumn scenery. Was a respectably good choice. And it was a nice day: top down til I reached I-80. (Could have left it up longer, but the windiness gets a little tiresome eventually at 75 MPH, especially as the afternoon cools down.)
Old 11-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #5

I used to ride Route 100, starting at Wilmington, and going thru West Chester, a winding 2 lane road. But I had no actual "destination", so I'm not sure it heads the direction you would like to go.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #6

Yeah, heading to south Jersey on Thursday, I got off the Turnpike and, after a short drive on a couple other routes, ended up on Rte 100, which I took on down to Wilmington (ie 202) and crossed over the Del Mem Bridge. This was following the GPS recommendations (It's not the way I've usually gone, via which I end up crossing the Delaware on the Commodore Barry Bridge).

Taking 100 all the way from Wilmington to I-80 might be a pretty nice drive, but I suspect it would be pretty time-consuming. Maybe one of these days...