Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #1

'04 986 vs. 987 models

I'm new to this site & forum...be gentle !

I recently sold my 911 and I'm thinking of a boxster. I found a beautiful low mileage '04 Boxster S at a decent price, but I've heard that the 986 models can have severe engine problems because of bearings issues. I've heard that a fairly high percentage need to have engines replaced by 60 k miles. One mechanic told me to forget the 986 model, and concentrate my search on an 987 ('05 + newer).
So...I'm getting close to buying a car....any comments out there ??....986 vs. 987. I really want to get this right !!! Affordability is also an issue (isn't it always ?) Thanks for your help....

kentmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #2

Hopefully you will find good guidance here as I did.

I got an '05 987 for a great price because it had a good number of miles. I love it to death. I have had to do nothing other than matinence Items.

I think you'll also find that while there are a lot of documented engine failures, there are tons more 986's that have never failed.

I really like the newer 987, but I have never owned a 986 so get some opinions from owners.

The best bet is to find the car with the options you want that had full matinence records and even warranty left.

Good Luck
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 03:36 AM   #3
mts

Try driving both as see if that helps make your decision. I think they drive and *feel* differently and for a reasonable difference in price and the same options I prefer the 05. Of course, when I was looking the price delta wasn't "reasonable" to me anyway.

The 05 has a bit more power and a better interior (IMO). They also cost more and have the traditional issues early new models have. Not a big deal, but given the option I always lean toward the last year of a model line than the first.....most of the bugs have been worked out.

I have an 04S and really like. So far the car has been really solid and at the time I purchased I wasn't willing to part with the extra $$ for the 05. Plus, I have the 550 model which I really liked and has almost every option available so that also helped drive my decision. It is true there have been more engine failures in the 986 (and 996 for that matter) cars than is probably warranted; however, there are many more trouble free ones than troublesome ones. In addition, though I have no statistics to back it up, it appears to me that there tend to be more engine issues with the earlier 986S motors than the later ones (03-04).

Get a PPO on the 04S you are looking at and I'm sure you'll love it. However, take a spin in an 05 first and decide for yourself if its worth the extra $$ for you. For me it wasn't, but it will be for others.

Good luck.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
Porscheectomy

The weak points of the M96 engine are present in both the 986 and 987. I wouldn't make the assumption that the chances of engine failure are reduced in the 987.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 AM   #5

IMO it comes down to price point and condition of the vehicles.

I'll take a mint condition, low milage 04 986 than a beat up 05 987.

As a rule of thumb people generally avoid first year model of each generation. Not that there's anything wrong with them but you're taking a bigger gamble because most car manufacturers haven't got the bugs worked out yet on the first year.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #6

Smile 986 vs 987

i'll have to agree with the best condition, fully optioned, a good history of repairs and maintenance, not necessarily lowest mileage and if possible left over warranty on a 986 or 987 of your choice of color too.
in my case decided that it was a 986 that suits me like a glove.. test drove a few and visually checked the undercarriage for scrapes and leaks etc.. or any sign of abuse by the previous owner/s..
also a PPI is in order, although if you have a good feel for the car of your choice and have access to a good shop/technician, is much more preferable than going to a dealership to perform this for you, cause they just would'nt go through it thorougly. They just would not CARE !
I was lucky enough to find an 04S w/32k last dec'07 w/ the color(option) that i really like(atlas gray metallic) w full options, minus PSM.. in service date of May 04..
you've owned a 911 previously, so you have experience in Porsche ownership. i'd suggest that you really take a close look at the two and not base your decision alone on the integrity of the M96 engine, besides you also need a bit of luck with your final purchase.
t2-bxtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:52 AM   #7

Which would I prefer

I own a '01S and previously a '99 base. Both 986 models.

Does the 987 have features and improvements that make it superior to the 986? IMHO, the answer is a clear yes. I'd get a review of the '05 from Edmunds (online) and look at the improvements they made. The one that struck me as most important is the positioning of the rollbar and firewall and the change is seat positioning they enable for someone 6' plus.

Is the reliability going to be significantly different? Don't think so. Same basic engine and transmission. Major changes don't come till the '10 model year.

Which styling you like is a matter of opinion.

A well maintained, well optioned, driven enough (6k year) to keep the fluids warm car should be your target. One with a documented maintenance history is the holy grail.

You already know that Porsche maintenance is expensive unless you DIY. So avoiding lots of initial maintenance is a big plus (Cost me about $1500 in maintenance just to bring my '01 up to my standards at 42k mikes at purchase.)

A very thorough Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) by a very Porsche experienced mechanic is highly recommended.

Google "Mike Focke Buying Boxster" for pages and pages of buying thoughts.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke

Is the reliability going to be significantly different? Don't think so. Same basic engine and transmission. Major changes don't come till the '10 model year.
The transmission was completely changed in the 987, no?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:55 AM   #9

What I would do

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentmitchell
I'm new to this site & forum...be gentle !

I recently sold my 911 and I'm thinking of a boxster. I found a beautiful low mileage '04 Boxster S at a decent price, but I've heard that the 986 models can have severe engine problems because of bearings issues. I've heard that a fairly high percentage need to have engines replaced by 60 k miles. One mechanic told me to forget the 986 model, and concentrate my search on an 987 ('05 + newer).
So...I'm getting close to buying a car....any comments out there ??....986 vs. 987. I really want to get this right !!! Affordability is also an issue (isn't it always ?) Thanks for your help....

A handfull of the 2.5 liter (pre 2000) boxsters had a little problem with the casting, but that was so long ago that someone else will have already dealt with that headache by the time you get a car. If you can afford the 987S model that is definately what I would recommend ( I will actually be jealous if you get one!) because I have an '03 S that is the 986 chassis code and it is sweetness. The big thing is that tubi makes an exhaust for the 987 3.4 liter and not for my 3.2 ( I feel left out). If you don't have to have a convertable, I would sooooo go with the cayman S just because the handeling from the stiffer chassis blows the boxster ( and the Carrera S around nurburing nordschleife) out of the water!
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #10

I would recommend that you drive both the 986 and 987. I think they are both great, but they do look and drive different. I personally like the curves of the 986 better (especially the rear) and I like my black interior better than the aluminum of the 987. In terms of maintenance, it's a porsche. As we all know, they are more expensive to maintain. Just the way it is. I have a 2000 base that I bought with 31,000 miles about 7 months ago. NO problems at all. Love it.

Good luck.
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #11

I have an '04 S and I have driven a base model 987 loaner when mine was in the shop. The interiors are drastically different. To me, the 986 interior layout is the model of what roadster should be-only the things you need and just where they should be. My only ******************** is that a couple of the controls like rear window defrost and fan recirc are not visible with the cup holder extended. I liked the 987 but to me the dash looked much like a late model Japanese car, maybe a Maxima. Controls are busier and I didn't like the placement of the window and top switches.

As far as handling, I didn't have a chance to wring it out, but I can't imagine a quantum leap over my S. Granted, I have KW V3 coilovers and I'm sitting much lower than stock, but it doesn't turn around corners, it simply seems to pivot on a big ball bearing in the middle of the car.

Look wise, I actually do prefer the fog lights lower in the front bumper and I kinda like the air intakes better on the 987, but I can't see either of those from the driver's seat. Either way you're going to love it...good luck.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #12

I agree that it is really a personal decision. I just bought an 03 986 S model which is essentially identical to the 04. I really like the looks of the interior on the 05 better but I bought an 03 for a few reasons:

1. cost - my 03 Boxster S had 14,400 miles, was flawless inside and out and only cost $27k. (Seal grey, light grey interior, with PSM, heated seats and 18 inch wheels)
2. cost - insurance was cheaper the older I went.
3. cost - I live in Colorado where we pay personal property tax on cars every year. I wanted a mint condition older model to keep the annual tax charged on license plates much lower.
4. cost - lower sales tax on the purchase.

I would not consider anything older than an 03 S model because of the glass rear window, headlight styling, taillight styling and the slight increase in power and reliability of the later model 986. This got me to search for the right 03/04 S model with a slight preference to finding a mint condition low mileage 03 as a preference.

I'm certainly not poor, but I am cheap ;-) I've had the car for 3 weeks and I love it. Was totally worth the extra $$ for the S model.
Dave S.

Last edited by Dave S.; 11-01-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster_s_boy_34
A handfull of the 2.5 liter (pre 2000) boxsters had a little problem with the casting, but that was so long ago that someone else will have already dealt with that headache by the time you get a car. If you can afford the 987S model that is definately what I would recommend ( I will actually be jealous if you get one!) because I have an '03 S that is the 986 chassis code and it is sweetness. The big thing is that tubi makes an exhaust for the 987 3.4 liter and not for my 3.2 ( I feel left out). If you don't have to have a convertable, I would sooooo go with the cayman S just because the handeling from the stiffer chassis blows the boxster ( and the Carrera S around nurburing nordschleife) out of the water!
Thanx...the Cayman is cool, but I've been driving ragtop roadsters for over 40 years (my first was a '58 bug-eye Sprite). You are right about handling...it was even noticeable in my 911 with the top up....a much tighter solid feel, but I'm strongly addicted to roadsters. Thanx for the advice.
kentmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster_s_boy_34
I would sooooo go with the cayman S just because the handeling from the stiffer chassis blows the boxster ( and the Carrera S around nurburing nordschleife) out of the water!
I think the whole stiffer chassis thing on the Cayman is sooooo balony.

The Boxster was built to be a convertible from the ground up. Porsche designed the damn thing with a strong chassis to begin with.

I have yet to experience any "cowl shake" people often talk about on convertibles.

Yes the Cayman is faster, but only very, very slightly.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:20 PM   #15

I'm going thru the same debate,I just test drove an '05 base and an SLK-350. I've also driven an '03 and '04S. I actually like the 986 interior better. Is it just me, or are the headlight bulges larger in the 987 than 986? I actually found them annoying in my sight line while turning. It also seemed the steering was weighted differently.Some reviews rate the 987 as a "10" in handling, vs. an "8" for the 986, but but aren't the suspensions basically the same? My next step is a back-to-back test, but I'm leaning towards an '04S.
I have to say, the SLK stereo puts the Boxster to shame, and it had the Bose rear speaker. How can a $50,000 car have such a horrible stereo! The folding hard-top also had great rear visibility, and the 3.5 good power, but I wasn't able to test the cornering capabilities. The tiny truck bothered me though. The search continues!
Steve

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote