Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #1

Fall Detailing

Got busy on Sunday, the last day before it got cold/rainy/almost snowy here, and did my fall exterior detail work. Kept it reasonably simple: washed the wheels, then the finish; clayed; used some paint cleanser (Meg’s---it was available, and does a reasonably good job); then waxed with S100.

Anyone used the P21S pre-wax paintwork cleanser? If so, you like it?

Did a quick Plexus job on the rear window, and Back to Black on the bumperettes (which I still prefer BLACK, thank you) and on the little mudflaps behind the rear wheels. In the process, pulled the bumperettes off, along with the rear tag and base plate, so as to be able to clean up and wax the finish in that area. Finished with Invisible Glass on the windows, windshield and sideview mirrors. Vacuumed the interior and mats.

That’s it. I have yet to polish this car in the two years of ownership, largely because it has always looked so good to me doing just the above (or similar) protocol. However, I do believe I’ll fire up the PC and do some polishing come next spring. (Have already “practiced” using it on the Toyota.)

Anyway, see what you think…

BTW, ekam: I realize I “stole” your signature concept with the leaf-on-the-rear-trunk shot---I hadn’t planned on including it here, but it just looked too good (and too seasonal) to omit.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #2

Do you ever clean your exhaust tips? If so, what do you use? Do you put on top protectant? How are your headlights? Did you plexus those?
Jim
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #3

Do you ever clean your exhaust tips? If so, what do you use?

Yeah, I have. It's been awhile ago, but, as I recall, I used Nevr-Dull (http://www.autogeek.net/eo104.html). I think I sped up the process by also using some super fine steel wool (like the kind you would use in the process of refinishing furniture). Went fairly quickly: had planned on doing just the tips but ended up doing the whole muffler as well (ie the visible portion). It's been long enough they could use it again.

Do you put on top protectant?

Yes, RaggTopp (cleaner and protectant). Been tempted to try the protectant than can be painted on (I forget the name---can be found via a search here), but haven't done so yet.

How are your headlights? Did you plexus those?

I believe I have used Plexus there, but didn't really see any improvement over simply washing them. Wouldn't hesitate to use it again if it seemed like they needed it.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #4

Lookn good frodo, A clean car is a nice car, too bad pics rarely do a good shine justice.

I finally had a chance to do a quick detail on my box this past weekend too, went back to using a paste carnauba wax and forgot how nice the result is. Plexus is great stuff, though I think I may have a minor addiction problem because I use a lot of it not to mention the gallons of quick detail spray I go through

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:04 AM   #5

Looks great...need to do mine, as well before the snow flies. I use plexus on the rear window and headlights; can't hurt. Also use "Blue Magic" to polish the twin exhaust pipes...works like "magic". For rubber and plastic, I use "Vinylex" and "Black Again" from Rhino Industries. Don't forget to change the oil if you haven't done so already and add a can of "SeaFoam" to the gas.

Last edited by jmatta; 10-29-2008 at 07:07 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #6

Sea Foam?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 AM   #7
FTD

I looked up SeaFoam. The instructions are as follows:

In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines

1. With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

2. Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.

3. Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.

Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.

I only know how to do #3. Would I have to have a Bentley manual to figure out #1 and #2? Could I ask a mechanic how much $ to do this for me, or is that goofy? This reminds me that someone said I might have 'sticky lifters', [that is one of those things you type that don't sound right] so it seems that SeaFoam could address that.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:39 AM   #8

I use SeaFoam twice a year in my cars...no need to put it anywhere but in the fuel tank. It keeps the Webers nice and clean on my '73 911 track car and the injectors clean on the daily drivers. Great stuff!
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #9

You took inspiration from my work and any p owners are welcome.

Those wheels must be difficult to clean, but they do look good when they're clean.

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote