Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #1

anyone been to Prague?

My younger is in Garmisch Germany working at Edelwiess resort and we're flying over on 11/7 for a week. That is if any of the airlines are still in business by then. Or, for that matter, if I'm still in business.
Anyway, the plan is going to Prague for several days, basically because daughter doesn't make enough at the resort to go on her own and she talked wifey into it.
Suggestions?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:22 PM   #2

Are you set on Prague? I've spent quite some time in Europe and would love to help send you in the right direction, depending on what you're looking to get out of your excursion.
mookarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #3

Garage
I've been to the Czech Republic and, not to dog the country, but there's more to see and do right around where your daughter is at. Garmisch is a resort, Munich, Neuschwanstein castle, the Alps, the Eagles Nest and Austria are all right there. The Euro is expensive so I'd stick around where your at instead of going to Prague. Germany is a beautiful country, enjoy your trip, wish I was going.

Have a beer for me.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #4
bmussatti

I was in Prague about 11-12 years ago. We enjoyed it very much. We also went to Budapest during this trip, and we enjoyed that city even more!

Enjoy your trip and "family time"!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:24 AM   #5

I was in Prague 3 years ago and loved it. It is a stunningly beautiful city, very walkable and there was enough to keep me busy for a week. I just got back from a 2 week trip to Paris and Greece and I'd say Prague is more beautiful than Paris and it is obviously way ahead of Athens. It received very little damage from the wars so the buildings are original. Great beer as well!

Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #6

A few more:

Of course, Paris has its highlights too:

Old 10-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Garmish. Great little town in Bavaria. Lots to see nearby. If you stay there have dinner one night at Gasthof Fraundorfer at 24 Ludwigstrasse. Very authentic Bavarian food, great local beer, live yodeling and Tyrolian slap dancing entertainment, and don't forget the schnapps.

I have never been to Prague but my daughter has been twice recently and it is one of her favorite cities in Europe. The food and amenities there are great and everything is dirt cheap in comparison to Germany, France, Switzerland.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:12 PM   #8

Thanks everyone - GREAT pics, Jump, but I'll still argue AGW with you!
It's really a shame, I shoot medium format real film, 60 x70 mm negatives - 120 roll film, but then I have nothing to post. Digital still gets nowhere near that quality for full scale enlargements, but does post. I guess I'll have to shoot one with digital and one with the Pentax 67?
I'm going to ship my camera equipment to Germany. The last time I flew with it, I carried it on, as no way I'm trusting my equipment to baggage handlers, and it took a threat to kick the TSA inspector's ass to keep him from trying to DISASSEMBLE MY LENSES! Okay, I had no film in the cameras (and mailed it all home) so I could open the camera bodies for them (one for color, one for B&W). But, excuse me, you can remove the lens covers from both ends and LOOK THROUGH THEM! Oh, noooooooo, "you could have something inside there, I need to be able to TAKE THEM APART and inspect them."
If my daughter had come to the airport with me, I would have called her and had her come back, get the equipment and ship it to me. NEVER AGAIN!
I'm lucky I didn't end up in jail because I literally told the jerk I was going to kick his ass if he didn't put my lenses down. :troll: <- I really look like that when I'm MAD!

Last edited by Quickurt; 10-12-2008 at 05:14 PM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #9

While I can appreciate the quality of that format, I'd be afraid that all of my photos would end up in a closet somewhere with no one ever seeing them. I guess if I were shooting professionally and trying to sell them, I'd feel differently. As it is, the digital format just provides too many advantages in organizing, storage, use, and tweaking the output.

Interesting story on the lenses. I've never experienced that and not sure how I'd respond.

Anyway, you'll enjoy Prague. Here is a link to a Google Map I put together with some of my photos to show where they were taken:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103349462466817013219.00043834f5c0d29376ad5&ll=50.092173,14.402475&spn=0.026321,0.079479&z=14
Old 10-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #10

Prague

It is a truly beautiful city from what I have been told ,but I would strongly advise to only go with an organised tour . You get to see more . If you are in a rental car ,it will cost extra plus additional insurance. But I have to agree there is more to see in Germany . King Ludwig left Germany the greatest tourist treasures in the world and all are fairly close. Plus all the great sights along the "Donau" Have a great trip enjoy Hope the weather stays nice! Mike Remember there is always the Porsche Meseum !

Last edited by pushrodracer; 10-14-2008 at 03:38 AM.
pushrodracer is offline   Reply With Quote