Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 12:01 AM   #1

GT3 Seats in Central Virginia?

I have been thinking about getting some GT3 seats for my base boxster for some time now, both to save weight and to lower my sitting position. I have a long torso and end up looking at more of the frame at the top of the windshield than I would like with the stock seats. My problem is that I have never had a chance to sit in them to try to figure out how comfortable they are or are not.

I plan to use the seats for both around town and longer drives. I have checked with our local Porsche dealer and my indi mechanic, and they have not been able to come up with a car with the seats for me to try. Are there any members in the Central Virginia (Farmville) that have the factory GT3 seats I could try out. BTW, I am 5'10" and weight about 173lbs these days, not sure how snug they are going to be for me. Also, any comments about living with the seats for a daily driver would be appreciated, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #2

Ed,

I'm 5'7" at 174 lbs. and have no trouble in my seats. I'm broad shouldered so it's a little snug at my shoulders. Hips and torso are fine.

Seats are perfectly fine on long drives and everyday commutes. Getting in and out isn't exactly graceful.

I live in Connecticut so I can't help you with trying out the seats, but go to a DE day or autocross. You're bond to find someone with GT3 seats.

Good Luck
Old 09-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #3

^ I'm about the same height and weight as you. NOT GOOD for me. Need to drop 20 pounds I'm such a slacker these days. Although to my credit I bought one of those pull up bars that fit in any doorway. I placed it at the entrance of the master bedroom so I do a set first thing as soon as I wake up. Gotta work on the cardio though...

anyhoo...the seats are a pain if you're out of the car more than a few times per day. And if you're suspension is on its last legs the ride will get rough. You're litterally on teh floor board. Imagine the lowest position in the stock seat and then cut another inch lower. Looking behind to para park is really tough because you can't pivot your shoulders. I was a cyclist my whole life so I'm used to being in crunched position so I can hop out in one motion. My female passengers always marvel at this and complain that getting out is like falling on floor and trying to get up.

Check the Rennlist.com forums in the 996, 997 sections. There's always someone selling a second hand set. Maybe you're near VIR and can meet up someone at a PCA event. If you buy them used and don't like them you'll have no problem selling them a small loss.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM   #4

Hmm, thats very helpful information and I feel better about not picking up some pricey GT3 seats. My ride is harsh enough and my female passengers already complain about the stiffness and that the seats are low. Would be fine for me but I would like my passengers to enjoy the car as well.

I ended up picking up a pretty much brand new black set of regular seats from a 911 turbo. These are heated and electronic. My red seats are the same but the black ones I just picked up have more power options. the harness looks almost the same but not exactly. Anyone ever upgrade their seats to the 911 ones and encounter this problem?

Oh and I will now consider selling my heated red leather seats as well as my red carpet set for anyone that may be interested in adding some red to their cars.

I'll take some pictures once I get my black carpet and black seats into my boxster red leather interior. I think the two tone interior should look nice (I hope).

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote