Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts

VOILA!! NOW.. clean the damn engine. It is probably nasty

great write up - many thanks.

now, WOW, how did you clean that engine??????

paul

pauljsgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM   #22

I had to go back and shoot some of the pics.. I didn't think to document the install until I already had the engine cover off..

I'll create a .pdf and ship it with the AOS's I sell.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #23

Clean engine: Zep then wipe it down. I use brake clean on the engine case/throttle body/oil cooler. Try to keep the brake clean off the plastic. It will discolor it!! Took a whopping 4 minutes.

I have this weird issue of cleaning things before I work and after.

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #24

Hi, Thanks nice DIY.

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #25

If anyone see's anything I left out.. please let me know!! I tried to cover everything.

B
Old 09-03-2008, 07:31 AM   #26

I have to agree, what a great diy. I wish I had those instructions about a month or two ago. I spent too much time trying to remove the AOS itself, because I did not know to remove the sensor bracket. So i paid a shop to do it for me.
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #27

Honestly? if it wasn't for the DIY writeup, I would have YANKED really hard on it and broke the bellows while removing it. I'm not going to reuse ANY of the old AOS? so why be careful?

I see people being "careful" to remove their old wheel bearings!!! Why? You want to save it for a rainy day?? If the piece you are removing is JUNK, then treat it as such. You are going to throw it away!

B
Old 09-04-2008, 03:33 AM   #28

Brad Roberst

Quote:
Honestly? if it wasn't for the DIY writeup, I would have YANKED really hard on it and broke the bellows while removing it. I'm not going to reuse ANY of the old AOS? so why be careful?

I see people being "careful" to remove their old wheel bearings!!! Why? You want to save it for a rainy day?? If the piece you are removing is JUNK, then treat it as such. You are going to throw it away!

B

Thanks for the great article on AOS are spec racers using the modified versions of the AOS?

Second Question have you shut of your TC and if so how was that achieved plus disconnecting the TC override. I tried taking the fuse out but that also cause the ABS to stop working.

Thanks

Catman
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #29

Very nice write-up. How often do those need to be replaced, anyway? My '02 Box S just broke 15k miles; I hope I don't need to do this for a while, but my engine probably could use a good cleaning.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #30

Hey Catman!

We are currently discussing how to change the ABS module from 4 line to 3 line. Right now we know that you can install a different brake light switch for a NON TC car This way the ABS still works, but the TC does not

B

Last edited by Brad Roberts; 09-06-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: corrected myself
Old 09-04-2008, 01:51 PM   #31

JayMatta,

I really have not seen a pattern of failure on these. I thought they would fail under the duress of racing, but I have only seen one failure out of 20 some odd Boxster race cars.. so I threw that out.. :lol:

Most of the failures I do see involve cars with 60-70k miles on them, and it appears to be heat related (air temp 100+ and ground temp 115+) which would equal REALLY high engine compartment temps. This is the ONLY "common" denominator so far.

B
Old 09-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Hey Catman!

We are currently discussing how to remove the TC from the equation. Right now we know that you can install a different brake light switch for a NON TC car This way the ABS still works, but the TC does not

B
I wonder if that would work on a 2000 standard?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #33

Good question! Let me go through my parts systems and find!

B
Old 09-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #34

$771 to replace the ABS module!! Not good. Now we are looking at the wiring connector to see if it is a PIN change from one module to another Could be as simple as removing a pin from the connector!

B
Old 09-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #35

Aos and TC continued

I heard the Competition was more like $600 which seems rediculas! A pin would be good news. I be away for a few days but would love too know how to disable the TC....
Old 09-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #36

I just replaced my AOS using the instructions here. At first I was hesitant because looking at the access room I had doubts. I started to call a repair shop and a dealer. Independant shop quoted 13 hrs of labor @ $115 per hr since the eng need to be dropped. The dealer quoted $900 but advised they revised the removal process and don't need to drop the Engine. I said I guess I'm going to get down and dirty and try harder.

I followed the instructions from this post except one area. Instead of trying to remove the clamp that is difficult to remove. I just cut the hose and remove the clamp once you have the AOS out of the way. The new AOS came with a hose.

I also didn't bother removing the lower vacuum hose clamp until I was able to raise the AOS. You have more room to remove the clamp once you raise the AOS.

Brad, Thanks for posting this. It was very helpful.

Quote:
I also go ahead (from the top) and remove this bracket seen here with the blue arrow pointing to it. This will allow you EASY access to the clamp we will remove later from the lower portion of the bellows.

In this shot, you can clearly see the bolts have been removed and the blue arrow is pointing to the clamp that needs to be removed NEXT!! You can also see in this pic, how I removed the M6 bolt for the bracket and moved the bracket out of the way. The bracket holds the plug for one of the O2 sensors.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 AM   #37

I put this picture on Bard's spec board, so here it is.

This is what I see the mechanics at the local dealer using for the lower spring band clamp. Once the clamp is in position the blue clip is puled away and the clamp closes. Marvin Weitz at RennShop in Santa Clara also uses it.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 PM   #38

Cas! glad it helped.. I should point you to a shop that charges for what it takes.. not some BS book time from Mitchell systems.

If you need ANYTHING done.. check out Heyer Performance in Mountain View. They are just off of 101 and Rengstorff near Google. Tony (the owner) was on the 935 teams in the 80's with Garretson enterprises who beat all the factories teams at Leman with Jerry Woods built turbo engines. Bottom line: he knows his sh_t!!

Mention "Brad Roberts sent me" to Tony.. and he will take care of you. Promise. They are open 4 days a week from 7am-6pm. Tony has been a Porsche wrench for 30 years now and has been on MULTIPLR factory backed Porsche ALMS teams. He helped me get my foot in the door with the Porsche teams back in 99-00 with Dick Barbour.

B
Old 09-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #39

Brad,
Thanks for the info. Yes I know where Hyer is located. I used to work nearby. Without the clear pictures you made I probably would not have done it. Now that I've done it once the next time will be a lot easier.

Thanks
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #40

awesome write up.

how did you get your engine bay so clean? did you steam clean it, or just spend a lot of time with a rag?

i recently had my engine cover off so the car could be smogged/visual exam - and it looked all dirty like yours and I seriously had the urge to clean it..even though it's all under a cover - i know it's all dirty and the anal side of me wants it to be clean, even though no one can see it.... we are sick people!!

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote