Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chillinrfc Send a message via Yahoo to chillinrfc
Hydroplane / Spin out in the rain

I was driving on Interstate 10 eastbound at Central Avenue in Montclair, California. There was moderate to somewhat heavy rain. I had just entered the freeway, was in the second lane, about 60-65 mph in 5th gear. A few seconds later, I hit a rain groove or a groove in the road from where the freeway lanes used to be. My 2000 boxster started following the groove and all of a sudden, i was doing 360s clockwise. I was headed towards the brick wall on the right while doing a total of 3 and 1/4 360s. I was so lucky to have come to a stop before hitting the wall because i was stepping on the brakes this time (5 years ago, the same thing happened to me in my 1996 Honda Civic with balding tires, which I believe was the cause. That time, i didnt touch the brakes and did run into the side retainer wall).

I was in shock, but extremely lucky because no car hit me and i missed the brick wall. My tires have about 20k miles and fairly good tread left. I am seeking any insight into all the factors that caused this spin out today. I know of tirewear, tire pressure, car weight, amount of water, and car speed.

I am more in disbelief because i purposely chose to take this car over my 1992 Honda Accord, believing that a performance car could handle grooves at 60mph. However, part of me is saying that if i had taken the Accord, i might have hit the wall for sure.

This boxster was bought used and there may be suspension or other handling issues that I need to have checked out. Or perhaps the spinout was inevitable regardless of the car. Any comments or suggestions for having my car checked out is appreciated.

chillinrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:37 AM   #2
porsche986

Yea, thoses boxsters like to spin.

This time last year i went over a hill in the rain with a massive drop, before i was bounced onto the other side of the road by a crap road layout then the next thing i knew it i was doing 360 about 4 times, then i smashed into a fence which ended up in new front, rear bumper, side door, mirror, bonet, front wing and rear wing.

The boxster has superb handling, but when its raining there aint any car that will be great.
If i wasnt in a boxster i would be dead, It gripped to the road and i was doing about 80mph

pleased you were lucky, i was lucky to as nothing was comming the other way.
Police has now reviewed the road and its been re-done.
I coulnt claim on the insurance so i had to folk the whole lot out by some spare cash i had.
Never tell an insurance company or expect to pay high cover next year...
Old 12-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #3

Generally speaking, the tires fitted on the Box are pretty bad in the rain. They are normally summer performance tires and handling in the wet car borders on dangerous.
Given where you live, this is normally not an issue but a reason to slow down when it is raining. I may also signal a need to look for a better rain tire when you replace your current tires, which I would hope would be real soon!

Now when the water builds up, the danger is double for hydroplannng. Other then the low ground clearance, the Box is superbly set up for handling in the wet. I chalk it up to the tires (20K is a lot of miles on any set of Box tires) road conditions and perhaps your speed at the time.

Just my two cents. Drive safely.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 07:31 AM   #4

It is my understanding that not much beyond a crazy amount of down force is going to do anything about hydroplaning.

Is this true?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 AM   #5
Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chillinrfc Send a message via Yahoo to chillinrfc
UPDATE TO MY SITUATION:

I decided to hop in the boxster, take it out and gain my confidence in the car again. As I was driving down the 57 freeway at a good pace past the speed limit, everything seemed alright. But then it started raining again.

By the time I hit the 22 westbound, the road was pretty wet. Again, about 65mph, I began feeling the front tires slipping and sliding left, right, left, right within the lane. I immediately applied the brakes and gained control again.

My opinion (and I'm not a performance expert or mechanic) is that there is an alignment/suspension problem. Could this be just the tires? What can I do and how much will it be? Can I claim my spinout as an accident for insurance?
chillinrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #6

Yes it certainly can be the tires and at 20/25k miles, I would change them at any rate. Since you are bit freaked about it, select a decent rain tire, The Tire Rack ratings can help here.

If you have a suspension issue, it would show up in dry as well so I don't think this is the issue. After replacing the tires, you will need to get an allignment. A quaility alignment shop can look the suspension over for you.

And slow down in the rain. No car is very stable in the rain with summer tires on. Since the Box has very tactile steering, you will feel things happening that you would never feel in another less sophisiticated car.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:02 PM   #7

My Yoko ES100 are summer performance and pretty good in the rain UNTIL they wear out - then they are a menace.

If your car slips and slides in the rain it is because your tires slip and slide in the rain. - It isn't alignment or phases of the moon, it is because your tires no longer grip the road.

If you are running more than 35PSI - reduce your tire pressure. Other than that, if you are going to drive in the cold get tires that work in the cold (summer tires don't). If you are going to drive in the rain, get tires that work in the wet.

If you have 20/25K on your front tires they are probably worn out. Have you really looked at the wear bars to see how much tread you have? Have you measured to see how much of Lincoln's head shows with a penny test?
Ad Sach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 PM   #8

Ad Sach speaks wisely. Act before you are toast!